Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: My new pede

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84

    My new pede

    I just got a pede in a trade. It's the older pede style, and it was brushed. Today I converted it to brushless, and I was running it and after a few minutes I hear something. It sounded as if the pinion gear slipped off the shaft. But after further inspecting, I found out that it wasn't. Now only the spur gear moves... Is there something wrong with my diff?
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  2. #2
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SoCal, USA!!
    Posts
    728
    The idler gear (the gear between the topshaft and the differential) or the diff itself probably gave up the ghost. In the older models, both were plastic, and decidedly not "brushless ready."

  3. #3
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    The idler gear (the gear between the topshaft and the differential) or the diff itself probably gave up the ghost. In the older models, both were plastic, and decidedly not "brushless ready."
    ok thanks for the quickest reply lol! Do you know how much those gears or a whole new differential will cost?
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  4. #4
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    668
    Just google it you will get good results. If you buy the new parts make sure you buy a few bearings just in case and get steel gears so it won't break again.
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

  5. #5
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    Just google it you will get good results. If you buy the new parts make sure you buy a few bearings just in case and get steel gears so it won't break again.
    If it is an older pede it likely has bushings throught. Recommend replacing all of the bushings in the tranny and the carriers with bearings. You might have to get new carriers, RPM is a good cheap option.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  6. #6
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    668

    My new pede

    Oh whoops forgot that the older pedes had bushings in the tranny. Thanks
    And we thought toy grade RC's where cool...

  7. #7
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Greatscott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    N. Idaho... Da Sticks!
    Posts
    3,327
    Quote Originally Posted by CBD55 View Post
    Oh whoops forgot that the older pedes had bushings in the tranny. Thanks
    The only way I remembered is because I just rebuilt one yesterday for my Slash-basher. Going to keep bushing in the tranny and run a 540 15T in it with an XL5. Or, I might sell it, dunno, my Speed-Rusty is my main project right now.

    Replacing all bushings with bearings is REALLY important with you running brushless, the bushing will wear out REALLY quickly.

    That truck should have small bushings in the carriers, you can get bearings the same size, but you'll destroy them in no time, that is why you want to get the RPM carriers that take the larger bearings (same size as the tranny bearings).
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

  8. #8
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    13,129
    It might be a good idea to just buy a brand new gearbox with slipper, from one of the ebay chop shops. Around 30-35$, just make sure you see the slipper and spur in the pics...
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

  9. #9
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    221
    The complete diff and the idler can be found for around $15 on amazon
    part #s tra 2388x Complete differential $11.71
    tra 3696 idler gear $4.99

    The only problem with buying a complete tranny is that unless it is disassembled you won"t be able to see the gears that are most likely the problem, and you could end up with another one with the plastic idler in it.

  10. #10
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Central KS
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    It might be a good idea to just buy a brand new gearbox with slipper, from one of the ebay chop shops. Around 30-35$, just make sure you see the slipper and spur in the pics...
    This is definitely the simplest way to go and well worth it. My Pede started life as an XL-1 and is now a brushless monster. This is what I did to upgrade the transmission. Did you replace the wheel bushings with bearings yet?
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84
    First off, I wanna say thanks for all the replies! And second, I tried looking the parts up on eBay and amazon, and there not showing up in the results... :/ it's not a complete diff but only gears and such..
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  12. #12
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1
    Could be the diff. Not sure about the older ones but mine only has 2 gears in the diff and 2 bearings. Not a whole lot to go wrong. If it won't drive and it's maki king I high pitched noise, I would check your slipper clutch. Could be metal on metal or could just need to be adjusted

  13. #13
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. rag6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    13,129
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    The only problem with buying a complete tranny is that unless it is disassembled you won"t be able to see the gears that are most likely the problem, and you could end up with another one with the plastic idler in it.
    I disagree. 99.9998% of all new gearboxes on ebay will be brushless ready. If your still concerned, you can just ask the seller.


    After buying a:
    Top shaft
    slipper assembly
    spur
    idler gear
    full diff
    (6) 5x11x4 bearings
    new geabox halves if the old one is brittle...


    it will be around the same price to get a full factory assembled gearbox
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I disagree. 99.9998% of all new gearboxes on ebay will be brushless ready. If your still concerned, you can just ask the seller.


    After buying a:
    Top shaft
    slipper assembly
    spur
    idler gear
    full diff
    (6) 5x11x4 bearings
    new geabox halves if the old one is brittle...


    it will be around the same price to get a full factory assembled gearbox
    Could you list the part numbers so I know what I'm looking for?
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  15. #15
    RC Racer
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    221
    I listed the numbers in my original post for the two gears mentioned earlier.
    The knly reason i suggested getting just the two is i wasn't sure what your budget was and I have been burned a couple of times on ebay (not cor rc parts but for other things).

  16. #16
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by luckybobb View Post
    I listed the numbers in my original post for the two gears mentioned earlier.
    The knly reason i suggested getting just the two is i wasn't sure what your budget was and I have been burned a couple of times on ebay (not cor rc parts but for other things).
    ok thanks! And I don't really have a budget right now. And the only way I shop on eBay is if I go through PayPal.
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  17. #17
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Wolfslash16's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Riverton Utah
    Posts
    4,356
    Check this out. Bearings, steel gears, and brand new.

    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...MISSION/Detail
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

  18. #18

  19. #19
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    84
    Thanks guys!
    3 Slash VXLs
    Rustler VXL
    Nitro T-Maxx

  20. #20
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    733
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    Check this out. Bearings, steel gears, and brand new.

    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/servlet/...MISSION/Detail
    +1 dollar is hard to beat on stock parts and prices...
    Let's Go Steelers!!!... KCCO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •