RC Qualifier

Screw demolishes spur gear

Was bashing with a friend at lunch yesterday. The last couple times we drove something sounded a little "off" on his Rustler. We weren't sure what it was so just kept driving. Yesterday his Rustler just quit moving. Thought maybe the pinion had come loose or something.

Removed the gear cover and saw this:

It also ate a hole in the RPM gear cover:
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

WOW!!!! That's cool!!!

Its not common for a screw going through a ball-end to back out like that. It must have been trying to back out for a while if it wore a hole through the cover.

This is why I check my trucks over every couple of runs and the tightness of the wheel nuts after every pack.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    WOW!!!! That's cool!!!

Its not common for a screw going through a ball-end to back out like that. It must have been trying to back out for a while if it wore a hole through the cover.

This is why I check my trucks over every couple of runs and the tightness of the wheel nuts after every pack.
    Yep. Good advice. Sometime later I'll have to post a pic of the head of a different type of screw in the same spot being eaten up over time by MIP axles on my own Slash.

The good news for my friends truck is it should only cost him a new spur gear, a dab of loctite or CA glue and maybe if he wants, a new RPM gear cover.
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?