RC poster

Looking for a new Motor and ESC any suggestions

Hey all I am new to this and am looking at upgrading my Stampede adn have been looking at a Hobbywing EZRUN 3400KV brushless adn ESC combo, What do you think? or Suggest

RC poster
    So I have also found at my local hobby shop a HPI flux motor and ESC water proof they want $178 australian, but any word on this as far as quality goes? are they better or as good as Hobbywing and castle creations which are very hard to get in Australia?

RC poster
    Mate im in oz aswell, what size battery are you using and how fast do you want to go realisticly and your not wrong about
    trying to get hold of castle stuff its a nightmare.

RC Enthusiast
    Couldn't be happier:

[IMG][/IMG]

RC poster
    I have run lipo 11.1 and am now using 7.4 I have. Upgraded the rear drive shafts and will be doing the front and steering blocks and hubs as well, I am wanting to go.........very fast, I have had some concussion over the KV thing too, I have looked also at the Sidewinder by castle too I can get them on eBay for around 130 Inc postage but just looking for some info from people who may have done it already thanks for your help too mate

RC poster
    yeah that ezrun system will be better than the stock system i personaly think the velineon system is a bit crappy. ive been looking at a few different options myself the traxxas funny car motor paired with mmp sct would make a good combo the motor is well priced on ebay the the esc is dear as poison though also the hpi alphastar would make a good motor for this truck. I think the sidewinder esc might be to small if you plan to run it on 3s. hope this helps.

Guys check out funshobby you can get a hobbywing and tenshock combo in a few days if you live in oz.the sc8 120a esc is waterproof and tenshock 3400kv-3800kv can be run on 2s and 3s all day with right gearing and its a 4 pole 550 size motor so the torque and speed will blow you vxl out the water dudes.......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    thats good to know i just had a look they even have free shipping stoked! do you reckon that system will get hot on stock gearing with high discharge 3s?

RC poster
    Awesome just checked out the website thanks

I run mine on 2s and 3s geared 15t-17t pinion 54t spur and it stays under 160f so you will love it.but you guys live in oz I would start with a 14t and do some temp checks and take it from there.Mine took under a week for it to get to my front door.........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Never forget, you also have Viper RC making excellent brushless setup for the price. Now that their first years bugs are ironed out, they are quality and affordable alternative.

I spent countless hours analysing every pros and cons of every brushless set-up imaginable to find the best low cost no heat alternative to the venerable VXL. I ended up ordering the Viper Copperhead-R/VX4R.45 set-up.
    P4de
    I'm behind you because...I'm lapping you.

Make sure you give us a review after a few runs but I would not change my tenshock for any other budget combo because its so powerful and fast..........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    Make sure you give us a review after a few runs but I would not change my tenshock for any other budget combo because its so powerful and fast..........peace
    To your request, of course I will.
    P4de

Thanks bro I have heard good things about viper stuff what are you going to run it with 2s or 3s or both........peace

RC Enthusiast
    Since the motor is a 4500kv, I'll stick to 2s.
    P4de

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Couldn't be happier:

[IMG][/IMG]
    Just installed the same esc in my p4de lastnight... Its Boss!!.. i'm really impressed so far.. Except im running it with my castle 1415 2400kv motor..

That will make your castle go like a rocket dude give us a review after a few runs.......peace

RC Qualifier
    Spenni, where do you get replacement parts for the 411 and 401, sensor board, rotor and such. That is the only thing holding me back from trying one of these systems, parts support. I know that you haven't needed these part, but stuff happens and things do wear out.

Thanks, Shane
    Slash VXL 2X4 SLASH 4X4 MT

I will try and find out for you but mines been run hard for over 13 months with out any problems I took it apart just to see whats its like and popped some bones speed cream on them.But if I had to buy again I would get the sc8 120a and the sc401v2 3400kv .......peace

RC poster
    cheers spennie for the help with motor esc combo mine arrived yesterday its a beast now just need to upgrade the rear a arms and nuckles, a bit to much slop in them for the speed im doing now way to hard to control! i havnt got a temp gun so if i was using my finger to check the heat what temp would be acceptable from touch?
    [IMG][/IMG]

Nice setup dude I am stoked that you are loving it and just to let you know that you can pick up a good temp gun from ebay for a few bucksAnd don't rely on our fingers every ones got different pain thresholds.......peace

RC poster
    That's a good point i can't really tell when things are to hot. What is a respectable temp for this set up to go to go with out causing any damage to the motor or esc . I've been running it on 3s the hole time the esc dosnt get hot but the motor gets pretty toastie that's running a mix of blacktop dirt grass and jumping? Thanx again for all your help. Cheers

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeskatE View Post
    That's a good point i can't really tell when things are to hot. What is a respectable temp for this set up to go to go with out causing any damage to the motor or esc . I've been running it on 3s the hole time the esc dosnt get hot but the motor gets pretty toastie that's running a mix of blacktop dirt grass and jumping? Thanx again for all your help. Cheers
    Be a shame to burn up that shiny new motor. Traxxas makes an Onboard Temp Sensor (#4091) Personally i run a tqi with full telemetry, temp, rpm, voltage.. I love it. Even a cheap Temperature Gun is better than nothing. I order the Traxxas Telemetry Expander Module (#6550) last week. It will allow me to monitor multiple temperature sensors directly off the TQI iPhone app.. Next payday i plan to get the Traxxas GPS module for the TQI $90 bucks tho.. No worse than buying a gps I guess.. and definetly cheaper than buying a new phone after i crash at 60mph with it strapped to the chassis for gps info LOL...

As I said before you can get awesome temp guns off ebay for a few buck and they are just as good as the one that cost a few hundred .......peace

RC poster
    yeah im not to keen on all the telemetry stuff i personaly dont think it would be that accurate especialy not for checking your speed not trying to rain on anyones parade just my opinion!. Ill definitely do wat spennie said and get a cheap temp gun so i can be on the safe side.

Thanks for all the cool stuff you have said about helping bro ......peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LifeskatE View Post
    yeah im not to keen on all the telemetry stuff i personaly dont think it would be that accurate especialy not for checking your speed not trying to rain on anyones parade just my opinion!. Ill definitely do wat spennie said and get a cheap temp gun so i can be on the safe side.
    No worries. The traxxas GPS module is exactly that. A GPS. It is as accurate as any other GPS out there. The rpm sensor method to determine the speed through the tqi is most definetly NOT accurate. As I have it. The motor RPM is nice to know sometimes. The temperature,voltage,and rpm readings are actually very accurate through the tqi. I have tested the temperature sensor against an IR gun and it has never been more than a degree or two difference. I thought it was kind of gimmicky when I seen it too but after using it for a while now I quite like it it's nice to be able to just look down and see your temperatures without having to stop and take temperature readings.. Jus sayin

RC poster
    hah I can diffenitley see the convience of it rather than carrying a heap of stuff around its bad enough when you have a role over with a pede and hacving to walk a good hundred metres to flip it over. just curious wat kind of shocks are you running in your ive still got the stockers in?

I did some speed tests when I first got my combo but now I know the top speed all I want to know is how hot it is after a few pack but the less stuff on my pede the better IMOBut then we are all individuals............peace