Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Arrow Guidance on converting my e-Revo VXL into a 50mph+ beast!

Hiya fellas,

Well, I've had my e-Revo for quite some time now, and love it! However, the out-of-the-box speed has gotten to be somewhat sluggish, I suppose I've just "gotten used to it." Full disclosure, I've been doing this for well over a decade, but only as a hobby, been through multiple Nitro models, and now that I'm older, I wanted something electric that would just work and be fun to play around with on days off - so I'm not up-to-date on much anymore, I'm quite rusty.

I watched a few YouTube videos of guys doing the upgrade to the engine and battery to make it screaming fast (doing back-flips even at mid-throttle)... but after giving it some thought, I thought it was best to come right to the source, the guys here at Traxxas!

I do have a couple 2,200mah Lipo 2S batteries, and I think I'll need: a pinion for the engine, and a "series" connector to combine the power of the dual-batteries rather than the "Y" connector I currently use to extend run-time... (???)

---But if someone would be kind enough to make a part(s) list below, and a description of the process, or a link to a video that has solid trustworthy advice - that would be awesome! I'll get my parts now, and still have some time to enjoy it over the fall before winter sets in.

THANKS!

PS: What are the two biggest (well, most powerful) batteries my 1/16 e-Revo VXL will accept? I saw a YouTube of someone with a 4S battery in it somehow, and it would do back-flips at over 40mph somehow, amazing! If you could also add a link to the most powerful battery that would be great.

RC Qualifier
    I'd like to help you but that speed is a notch higher than my norm -
    my hands are full with 3s at however fast that goes (IDK but it's no 50 mph !)
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    all you will do is break parts with what you want to attempt.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    First... welcome!

Second... what mods do you currently have? The reason I ask is the stock ESC is not up to the task of 4S... which is what you would be doing with twin 2S LiPo's and a series connector.

Third... what is your budget? The reason I ask this is there are two ways to get to the speeds you seek. The cheaper way and the expensive way... with the cheaper way it will be obtainable, but only for short speed runs. The expensive way will allow you to run 4S nearly all the time in any conditions.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Racer
    The next step 2 x 3s in parallel isnt enough?
    On bigger wheels it will go very fast (enough).
    Good air Flow, gearing change and a temp gun would be necessary instead of New Esc, Motor and so on.
    Backflips will break parts (drivetrain and so on) especially at this speed.
    If you want a Car wich drives every Day without Problems you go the wrong way.

Just my thoughts.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    First... welcome!

Second... what mods do you currently have? The reason I ask is the stock ESC is not up to the task of 4S... which is what you would be doing with twin 2S LiPo's and a series connector.

Third... what is your budget? The reason I ask this is there are two ways to get to the speeds you seek. The cheaper way and the expensive way... with the cheaper way it will be obtainable, but only for short speed runs. The expensive way will allow you to run 4S nearly all the time in any conditions.
    THANKS so much for the great post! Actually, I was able to take my e-Revo out last night to an empty baseball field, and playing with it in that shallow loose dirt was amazing, drifting/burn outs/etc. Under heavy usage, I got 15 minutes from each of the two new 2S Traxxas Lipo batteries (2,200mah) I bought and haven't used yet.

ALSO I took the car onto a basketball court where it got awesome traction, and with just ONE 2S 2,200mah Lipo battery, it did backflips under torque!

To answer your questions:
    1. I have ZERO mods of any kind done. I have all new springs I will install, since Traxxas springs on the e-Revo are sort of squishy and weak. But... after giving it some thought, and seeing how fast ONE simple 2S Lipo battery can be (see above) I probably won't be doing any mods, but rather, I'm more interested in simply LONGER run time. 4S would be INSANE and I'd probably break it.

2. For budget, I don't technically have one... not to say I'm a billionaire, haha, but I have very few hobbies, and I'm always more concerned with quality than how much it is to be honest, so whether it's $10 or $100+ that doesn't phase me. I'd actually like to (next year since Fall is already almost here) build my e-Revo into a beast with a new ridiculous motor, and if possible doing a series connection of TWO 3S batteries, for 6S, haha, sounds amazing - but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Feivel View Post
    The next step 2 x 3s in parallel isnt enough?
    On bigger wheels it will go very fast (enough).
    Good air Flow, gearing change and a temp gun would be necessary instead of New Esc, Motor and so on.
    Backflips will break parts (drivetrain and so on) especially at this speed.
    If you want a Car wich drives every Day without Problems you go the wrong way.
    So in your opinion (and anyone else), I should definitely stick with the easily obtainable 40mph Lipo speed, and leave the engine pinion alone and never go above the 2S battery, or at the most, 3S (if I can find one that fits), and only run them in parallel for longevity?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW QUESTION: With this new information - what 3S battery will fit in my 1/16 e-Revo? Seems like they are all slightly larger, and I know the e-Revo battery compartment is slightly angled - thanks! I'm relived to know I don't have to obsess over speed anymore, the 2S Lipo was 99% fast enough.
    Last edited by I_Wanna_Go_Fast; 09-05-2013 at 02:39 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Wanna_Go_Fast View Post
    [B]NEW QUESTION: With this new information - what 3S battery will fit in my 1/16 e-Revo
    When they get some in:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=53

RC Champion
    I would get this system for your car.
    http://store.rc4wd.com/Castle-Creati...10_p_2138.html

It would would get you up to the speeds you want with ease with the batteries listed above.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

I wouldn't... the big block raises the center of gravity and throws handing out the window.

Since you are happy with what it is doing now, this is what I had when I very rarely walked away broke.

Steel hollow balls (7028x) to reduce slop
    3M mushroom tape along battery doors to hold the body on
    Aluminum knuckles to reduce slop and add strength (I had HR but recommend GPM or GH)
    A BlueBird 390 servo due to the stock being known to fry/strip itself
    RPM a arms at all four corners (Front-80692, Rear-80602)
    Center differential (7014) upgrade to help handle the power of
    2200mah 2S 20C LiPo's ran in parallel for ~1 hour run times
    23/50 gearing gets me to ~30mph yet keeps temps in check
    Shimmed front and rear bulkheads... *LINK*

Especially do that last part... extremely cheap preventative procedure.

The ESC is the weak point for wanting more power. I would upgrade that as well to a Castle SV3... or if you want to run 4S the MMP/MM2. By the way... 4S is doable; 6S is not. The drive train is simply not up to the task of daily 6S abuse... the 10th scale Revo is barely up to that task let alone the wee one!

If you want to upgrade the motor... the stock one is no slouch btw... Neu has a $170-180 option that dominates and is still the small block size to retain your handling.

One more thing...
    Wait for SPC to get stock in. They are worth it!

RC Qualifier
    Then I'd add six CV drive shafts, two HR bulkheads and a set of good push rods and toe links
    Now you'd be pretty darn durable

RC Racer
    3S means one more cell in Series and for the Same capacity you will need 50 percent more space. So you have to go down to 1400-1600mah.

Test 3s on pavement or other grip underground and gear down to sth. like 20 55. Just make some speedruns and See how impressiv fast it can go. I can recommend New wheels, the Stock ones have to be reglued After Short time.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 09-06-2013 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Content

RC Enthusiast

The ESC is the weak point for wanting more power. I would upgrade that as well to a Castle SV3... or if you want to run 4S the MMP/MM2. By the way... 4S is doable; 6S is not. The drive train is simply not up to the task of daily 6S abuse... the 10th scale Revo is barely up to that task let alone the wee one!

One more thing...
    Wait for SPC to get stock in. They are worth it!
    I am never sure what to expect when joining a new forum.

This, and you along with many other helpful guys, have been AWESOME.

Since fall will already be here in less than 3 weeks, and I'm getting into my 50-60 hour MINIMUM work weeks, I think for the time being (I plan on making this thing a beast FOR SURE next year), I'll do the batteries and a couple of your suggestions as well. I have never heard of SPC, I'm on their website now - looks awesome, and I KNOW if "RC guys" like you/others suggest them, they have to be good.

So I suppose my only question about your amazing help would be, just so I'm sure before whipping out my credit card... what batteries are BEST ANYWHERE for ANY PRICE for the LONGEST run times when in parallel (not speed, but longevity)?

THANKS!!

RC Champion
    SPC 2s lipo 2500mah is the biggest battery you can fit in your car, with two of them in parallel you can get an hour+ run time and they are only $18 a piece. I own two of them and they are totally awesome.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

Believe it or not, the most expensive batteries for this platform are far from the best.

SPC is where it is at.... Boost gets some good reviews too.

RC Qualifier
    Believe it or not, the most expensive batteries for this platform are far from the best.

It's a shame we can't get either in Oz

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 09-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    3s can and will break stuff and fry electronics. TONS of fun for short speed runs watch your temps and EASE into the throttle, otherwise your gonna strip your diffs instantly.

RC poster
    Check out this video on how to change the pinion gear: http://youtu.be/IcSXh1LANfIIn this video I'm running my MERV with two 6,6 LIFE batteries in serie: http://youtu.be/LwpjL_8Nc-c
    Please note that the ESC only support 3S lipo, so if you connect two 2S lipo in serie you'll risk damaging the ESC and the motor.

RC Enthusiast
    FIRST of all, thank you so much everyone! These posts have been so informative and useful, not only that, but I'll actually apply all of your suggestions and battery recommendations as soon as they're back in stock!

I was able to play with my e-Revo this weekend, quite a bit actually, I went through my 2S 2,200mah Traxxas Power Pack batteries 6 or 7 times Saturday and Sunday - it was awesome. I didn't know if going through more batteries would cause the engine to over-heat or cause damage to the batteries since I only have 2, which mean I had to recharge them 3 or 4 times each over the weekend (is that bad?)

The only thing that has happened so far using my car 4 times now since I bought it, is the front driver's tire is unglued. Ugh. Other than that, it's been fantastic.

The one and only thing so far aside from the tire that does bother me, is the range. I don't need it to disappear into the horizon, but after just 200 feet, or even less, it gets jumpy and very erratic, and beyond that it simply just dies and I have to jog toward it.

Quote Originally Posted by revoman78 View Post
    SPC 2s lipo 2500mah is the biggest battery you can fit in your car, with two of them in parallel you can get an hour+ run time and they are only $18 a piece. I own two of them and they are totally awesome.
    EXCELLENT, THANK YOU! Finally, the answer I've been hoping for and waiting on - excellent. An hour, wow I go through my current 2S Traxxas 2,200mah battery running solo in about 20 minutes, sometimes a minute or two less - that's annoying.

My series AND parallel connectors will be here tomorrow in the mail, so I can't wait for the SPC batteries to be back in stock. I emailed them last week, and haven't heard anything yet.

I can't believe SPC doesn't have a Facebook page!?

This is great news, finally I'm able to save money and get something better! Awesome, I'll look into Boost as well since I don't know when SPC will be back in stock. NO external websites sell SPC?

I am having a somewhat hard time finding Boost Batteries, I Google'd everything from boost remote controlled batteries to boost rc, and nothing relevant is coming up. I'll keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by knall View Post
    3s can and will break stuff and fry electronics. TONS of fun for short speed runs watch your temps and EASE into the throttle, otherwise your gonna strip your diffs instantly.
    I'm 100% positive beyond a doubt I will not be going over 4S in Series for ANY reason now, and more than likely 9 out of 10 times I use my e-Revo I'll simply be running a pair of 2S batteries in parallel for longer run times to enjoy. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by kers2008 View Post
    Check out this video on how to change the pinion gear: http://youtu.be/IcSXh1LANfIIn this video I'm running my MERV with two 6,6 LIFE batteries in serie: http://youtu.be/LwpjL_8Nc-c
    Please note that the ESC only support 3S lipo, so if you connect two 2S lipo in serie you'll risk damaging the ESC and the motor.
    Thanks so much, I just realized the e-Revo actually comes with the optional engine pinion from the factory in a little baggie... I just found it this weekend in my bag, haha. I'll check the video out, but I'm not sure if I should change it at all now since I'm not planning on breaking the 50 or even 40mph barrier?

I'll never do the 2S in series now from what you're saying! I'd rather enjoy my car for the long run than fry it for a gain of 10mph, that would be silly. I appreciate the input.
    Last edited by I_Wanna_Go_Fast; 09-09-2013 at 04:29 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    BUMP

Just a friendly little bump to the top - I'll paraphrase some of my more burning questions

1 - will it damage anything to use a battery and then directly recharge it and use it again, continuously 3 or 4 times back to back?

2 - the tires are already starting to come unglued after 4 uses... should I fix it (and with what) or should I buy something better and simply replace them as they become defective?

3 - is there a way to improve the range in a way that is easy (don't need a lot of knowledge on the inner workings) like a new remote with a pop-up antenna? I don't need it to disappear into the horizon, but after just 200 feet (or even less) it gets jumpy and very erratic, and beyond that it simply just dies and I have to jog toward it

4 - I can't wait for the SPC batteries to be back in stock. I emailed them last week, and again this week, and haven't heard anything yet... doesn't inspire a lot of confidence or desire to buy from them. I can't believe SPC doesn't have a Facebook page? NO external websites sell SPC?

5 - I am having a somewhat hard time finding Boost Batteries, I Google'd everything from boost remote controlled batteries to boost rc, and nothing relevant is coming up. Do they have a website? I also can't find Boost or SPC on Tower Hobbies website etc

6 - I just realized the e-Revo actually comes with the optional engine pinion from the factory in a little baggie... I just found it this weekend in my bag, haha. I'm not sure if I should change it at all now since I'm not planning on breaking the 50 or even 40mph barrier?

RC Qualifier
    OK, my take.

1 - Let your packs cool down for a couple of minutes after every use. You can then charge them up again without harm.
    Give the motor and ESC a chance to cool down too between runs when swapping batteries.

2 - Stock tires becomming unglued when used with Lipos is a common problem. Get some tire glue (any decent CA-glue will do) and re-glue where necessary. This will work a couple of times until the tire bead and/or rim is broken down too much.
    You'll gain enough time to think about suitable new tires for your driving range.

3 - Check your antenna wiring on the receiver. A 2.4GHz radio should have more range, imho. 200ft is a bit short.

4 - SPC batteries are very popular. High demand + small company that depend on shipments from china: They are sold out on a regular basis. Just wait a bit. The site says mid-september for next delivery. I'll guess the guy doesn't need a FB page, he already has more customers than he can satisfy.

5 - Boost Lipos are available on got2gorc.com. AFAIK they are only sold there.
    A bit pricey for my taste. FYI a lot of small Lipo brands are only sold on the manufacturer/importer/brand-owner website and not distributed in all and every sales channel.

6 - The smaller 23T pinion in the bag is called "speed pinion" by Traxxas. Actually it will make the car a bit slower, to relieve stress from the esc + motor.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by CMD-J; 09-12-2013 at 04:01 PM. Reason: typo

I agree... and only add that most of the best stuff is not sold by Tower Hobbies.

Just because a company is small does not mean they don't deliver an awesome product... in fact, it is usually the opposite; better products from smaller companies and "ok" products from larger companies.

RC Enthusiast
    ... and don't assume that the online guys have the best pricing. LHS (even those with online sales) can be very competitive and even beat the online warehouses. Just saved around $15 on a $65 order by going local, including sales tax, because the prices were better (and also no shipping charges, so another $5-10 saved). Oh and the girl behind the counter is kinda cute, so that helps.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD-J View Post
    OK, my take.

1 - Let your packs cool down for a couple of minutes after every use. You can then charge them up again without harm.
    Give the motor and ESC a chance to cool down too between runs when swapping batteries.

2 - Stock tires becomming unglued when used with Lipos is a common problem. Get some tire glue (any decent CA-glue will do) and re-glue where necessary. This will work a couple of times until the tire bead and/or rim is broken down too much.
    You'll gain enough time to think about suitable new tires for your driving range.

3 - Check your antenna wiring on the receiver. A 2.4GHz radio should have more range, imho. 200ft is a bit short.

4 - SPC batteries are very popular. High demand + small company that depend on shipments from china: They are sold out on a regular basis. Just wait a bit. The site says mid-september for next delivery. I'll guess the guy doesn't need a FB page, he already has more customers than he can satisfy.

5 - Boost Lipos are available on got2gorc.com. AFAIK they are only sold there.
    A bit pricey for my taste. FYI a lot of small Lipo brands are only sold on the manufacturer/importer/brand-owner website and not distributed in all and every sales channel.

6 - The smaller 23T pinion in the bag is called "speed pinion" by Traxxas. Actually it will make the car a bit slower, to relieve stress from the esc + motor.

Hope this helps.
    I really appreciate the help on the batteries and tires. I'm a bit disappointed about the range like you said, I don't often go over 200 feet, but still, when I do it just stalls out - the receiver is the part that I had to send back to Traxxas to fix.

It's mid-september officially today, haha, so I'll keep checking on SPC's website. Have they been around for a long time? Only reason I ask is because if their supply has never kept pace with demand, I'm surprised they haven't adjusted their ordering model (I'm not insulting them in any way, but I own and operate two businesses, and both of them had their best year ever and we're expanding into a facility quadruple our current size to keep up with demand).

Your answers were all REALLY helpful - and that's ironic about the pinion making it slower, haha. Thanks again!

*Personal Thought: I am very surprised SPC still has not emailed me back, after emailing them twice over almost three weeks now without a peep. They run out of batteries to sell and don't offer simply email replies? Maybe I'll pay slightly more for Boost.

Quote Originally Posted by jcmeyer5 View Post
    ... and don't assume that the online guys have the best pricing. LHS (even those with online sales) can be very competitive and even beat the online warehouses. Just saved around $15 on a $65 order by going local, including sales tax, because the prices were better (and also no shipping charges, so another $5-10 saved). Oh and the girl behind the counter is kinda cute, so that helps.
    A cute girl at a hobby shop!? What galaxy is that store in? Haha, just kidding. My local hobby shop is well stocked, BUT the owner is NOTORIOUS for being rude, curt, and outright grumpy. I haven't been there in years - can't believe he's still in business.

THANKS SO MUCH GUYS!!!
    Last edited by I_Wanna_Go_Fast; 09-15-2013 at 08:22 PM.

RC poster
    Just my .02 on all of the questions I can answer:
    I had always heard when dealing with NIMH batteries, such as the stock battery, as long as you could hold them to your face for a couple of seconds, you could recharge them. That IS NOT the case for lipos. Lipos, if you haven't seen the warnings already, are not as carefree and easy to deal with as the stock battery was. A little bit of carelessness will destroy a lipo battery. To be short and sweet, ALWAYS use a balancing charger, NEVER attempt charging unless it's room temp, and ALWAYS store with a storage charge. I lost a 3S lipo due to running all the way to LVC and waiting a couple of days to charge it.
    On the tires, you will find the shortcomings of the stock Talons very quickly, and gluing them back to the rim will get you by for a long time, so long as the tire or rim bead stays intact. You can find a billion different opinions on the tire options that are common just by using the search function of this forum.
    Lastly, gearing will differ from one person to the next. The only definite way of finding the right gearing for the driver, terrain, battery, and tire size is with a temp gun. I can't remember the exact specs off the top of my head as I experimented for myself months ago, but again you can find those with the search function. Jimmie Nuetron will be your biggest help to begin with, in my opinion, but this forum is full of people with good advice. Good luck!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMoorer04 View Post
    Just my .02 on all of the questions I can answer:
    I had always heard when dealing with NIMH batteries, such as the stock battery, as long as you could hold them to your face for a couple of seconds, you could recharge them. That IS NOT the case for lipos. Lipos, if you haven't seen the warnings already, are not as carefree and easy to deal with as the stock battery was. A little bit of carelessness will destroy a lipo battery. To be short and sweet, ALWAYS use a balancing charger, NEVER attempt charging unless it's room temp, and ALWAYS store with a storage charge. I lost a 3S lipo due to running all the way to LVC and waiting a couple of days to charge it.
    On the tires, you will find the shortcomings of the stock Talons very quickly, and gluing them back to the rim will get you by for a long time, so long as the tire or rim bead stays intact. You can find a billion different opinions on the tire options that are common just by using the search function of this forum.
    Lastly, gearing will differ from one person to the next. The only definite way of finding the right gearing for the driver, terrain, battery, and tire size is with a temp gun. I can't remember the exact specs off the top of my head as I experimented for myself months ago, but again you can find those with the search function. Jimmie Nuetron will be your biggest help to begin with, in my opinion, but this forum is full of people with good advice. Good luck!
    I had no idea about using the balancing charger as a rule of thumb, but thankfully I HAVE BEEN since day-one.

Well, I did charge them back-to-back a couple weekends ago while they were still hot... but that is the ONLY time I have ever done so - so hopefully they aren't damaged.

However, this last time, I didn't store them with a charge, but for the most part, they are still new and I hope they are more resilient than being used back to back and not charged on one weekend, not to go kaput, haha.

Thanks for the advice on tires, looks like gluing them is the obvious choice. I'll look for some great glue and be set for a while on that. I have some gorilla glue, but that expands too much when I've used it for household things.

Thanks again for your help

I use cheap $2 for 4 tubes super glue... it has worked for me so far even on a 5S powered MT4.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to stop by and let you know I bought four SPC Lipo batteries! I got 2 of each (the 2250mah and the 1500mah types)... came to $90, which isn't bad and isn't great I suppose.

Real quick though, would someone be able to school me on the nuances between the batteries please? They are both 30C, but what exactly does the 7.4v and 11.4v boil down to, in laymen terms (read: I just like having a blast with my RC car, and I'm not an expert... terms)? I believe one is built for sheer power and speed, while the other is built for a higher capacity and therefor run time?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Wanna_Go_Fast View Post
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to stop by and let you know I bought four SPC Lipo batteries! I got 2 of each (the 2250mah and the 1500mah types)... came to $90, which isn't bad and isn't great I suppose.

Real quick though, would someone be able to school me on the nuances between the batteries please? They are both 30C, but what exactly does the 7.4v and 11.4v boil down to, in laymen terms (read: I just like having a blast with my RC car, and I'm not an expert... terms)? I believe one is built for sheer power and speed, while the other is built for a higher capacity and therefor run time?
    The voltage makes all the difference in the world. 7.4v "2s" will be slower than "3s" 11.1v. Night and day.
    addicted much....

I assume you meant the following:

2500mAh 7.4v
    1500mAh 11.1v

Those are the only two packs SPC has for the 16th platform.

That being cleared up...

mAh = run time... capacity.
    #v = voltage... speed... cell count.

You are going to run hotter and faster with the 3S (11.1) batteries if you keep everything else the same. When I had my 16ths, my 3S packs did more sitting than anything else. I found the power to be quite unusable for the areas I had to run. But, once I got to huge, wide open spaces where I could open the thing up on 3S it was an absolute blast.

I imagine both batteries were designed (built) to fill the battery compartment. You cannot shove another cell in a confined space and still retain the same capacity.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys, makes a lot of sense. The batteries are shipped, on their way... now I'll just pick up a bottle of super glue for the tires, and I'll be back in business big time!

The only thing remaining, which I probably won't buy, is finding a smart balance charger that can charge two batteries at ones with independent micro chips so it charges properly and fast. Maybe next year.

Thanks again

They don't have to charge independently to charge properly.

When I had my 16ths and my Summit running together I charged 2 2S 7600mAh and 4 2S 2200mAh packs together at 20 amps quite often in parallel with a ParaBoard and an iCharger 206B.

RC Enthusiast
    They don't have to charge independently to charge properly.

When I had my 16ths and my Summit running together I charged 2 2S 7600mAh and 4 2S 2200mAh packs together at 20 amps quite often in parallel with a ParaBoard and an iCharger 206B.
    Thanks - I'll start a new dedicated thread on this when the time comes, so I don't derail my own posts, haha... but since you've been so helpful and I'm curious: What charger(s) would you suggest that could really be happy with, and at a bare minimum charge two batteries at once?

Low budget:
    EZPeak+ with a Traxxas dual charge adapter--
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=5395
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9875
    http://buy.traxxas.com/product_info....oducts_id=9877

Which adapter depends on what batteries you want to run... 2S or 3S.

This setup would be fine for 16th scale RC's... marginal for anything larger as it is not that powerful of a charger.

For anything larger:
    iCharger 206 (or larger) with a ParaBoard and a power supply. This would be about $200.

I have the larger setup and have not ever regretted the decision once and I run large packs.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Jimmie,

Man you're helpful. Thanks.

So $120 for a great solid charger that would allow me to fast charge my 2S and 3S batteries. Nice. I always charge at 4.4 amps (it's the max listed on the side of my batteries for safe fast charging).

I'll probably only use 2S batteries moving forward, at least on my 1/16 model(s) - especially since I can run them parallel or series now with the adapters that came in.

The SPC batteries are on their way now, I'd love to have a second charger, I'll have 6 Lipos altogether when they come in the mail, that should definitely be enough for what... maybe 2 hours total... of run-time on my e-Revo VXL?

Whoa... hold on.
    You CANNOT run 2S in series with the stock ESC. ONLY parallel.

6 2500 2S packs will give you about 3 hours of run time in a stockish Revo.

RC Competitor
    Make sure you give you MERV time to cool down between packs and watch your temps with long run times. The stock system can overheat if you don't watch it.

RC Enthusiast
    Whoa... hold on.
    You CANNOT run 2S in series with the stock ESC. ONLY parallel.

6 2500 2S packs will give you about 3 hours of run time in a stockish Revo.
    I just charged my batteries today, haven't used them yet - it's raining today.

Also, I looked into that Traxxas charger that can charge 2 batteries at once, and found it for $70 on Ebay!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Salameth View Post
    Make sure you give you MERV time to cool down between packs and watch your temps with long run times. The stock system can overheat if you don't watch it.
    Thanks a lot - since I'm kind of the type of guy to overdo things... if the engine should overheat - what would a great robust, fast, and long-lasting engine be to get? I'll probably run the engine over and over, haha, so I'd like to prepare

I am not sure how you are going to fit an engine in there... but I guess anything is possible. It was made for motors.

Post #9
    "If you want to upgrade the motor... the stock one is no slouch btw... Neu has a $170-180 option that dominates and is still the small block size to retain your handling."

RC Enthusiast
    I am not sure how you are going to fit an engine in there... but I guess anything is possible. It was made for motors.
    I'm going to put a 6 liter Mercedes AMG twin-turbo motor in there, HAHA! Thanks a lot, I'll add that motor to my wish-list, ready to buy when my goes kaput