Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Finally getting a new Revo 3.3

I'm ordering a new Revo and I want to get a few upgrades from the start this is what i have on order so far.

-VDP kit
    -Hitec 7955
    -Racers edge servo horn
    -Extended wheel base a arms
    -4 RPM knuckles
    -Losi 2123 Carb, (is this the one everyone says works better on the 3.3)
    -M2C racing Flywheel
    -Outer wears filter cover.

I want to keep the 3.3 or for now anyway I was told the losi carb works better on the 3.3 I was also thinking about the m2c clutch, does it work better or not worth the extra? maybe the MIP is better??

I've never owned a Revo 3.3 but did have 3 T-maxxs (2.5,3.3,OS.21)

RC Racer
    Definitely get the m2c clutch...it will save u alot of headaches! If u don't want to spend alot of cash there is the SF racing three shoe clutch with flywheel and springs for like $20 on eBay, they are also pretty good and long lasting.
    The official Philly basher

RC Qualifier
    The new ones have telemetry and the opti drive. I don't really care for reverse. Do I just buy the forward only and unplug the opti drive

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

RC poster
    MAXX Adam gratz on new kit I also like your thought on remove the reverse, I will do the same on my truck. But I need to keep the $ steady for a while now..

RC Racer
    Yes get the FOC and remove all that extra weight. The reverse servo comes out, and reverse gears. you Will have a pile of parts after removing reverse. there are quite a few videos on utube showing how to do the install. That was the first mod I did. Then the clutch upgrade bc the stock clutch spring had to be replaced twice during break in.

RC Qualifier
    What about the losi carb? Ive heard it wakes up the 3.3 pretty good. My buddy just got his broke in and it rips pretty good. Sometimes it gets stuck in 2nd gear but other than its a lot of fun. Way more fun when it makes noise. I might even drop a tooth on the clutch bell.

RC Racer
    I never tried the losi carb but I've heard good things about that too. I'm still running the gears I had on when I ran a picco .26 max, 16/36. Ur friends is new and gets stuck in 2nd gear...that's not good.

RC Qualifier
    Its all on order here is what i got

-Traxxas Revo 3.3 4WD RTR Nitro Monster Truck w/TQi, Docking Base & Telemetry $569.99

-Traxxas GTR Shocks Variable Damping Kit $6.39

-Hitec HS-7955TG Ultra Torque Titanium Gear Digital Servo $119.99

-Racers Edge Aluminum Pro Adjustable Single Arm Hitec Servo Horn (Black) $11.25

-Traxxas Revo Rear Extended Wheelbase Suspension Arm Set $14.49

-2 x RPM Axle Carriers & Oversized Bearings (Blue) (Revo/Slayer) (2) $61.98

-LOSR2123 Losi Carburetor $38.99

-M2C1095 M2C Racing Traxxas 40mm 3 Shoe Clutch System $38.99

-Traxxas High Volume Air Filter & Pre-Filter (3) $9.25

-Outerwears Performance Pre-Filter Air Filter Cover (1 1/2 Dia. x 1 1/8 to 1 5/8 Tall) (Blue) $16.99

-Traxxas Revo Forward Only Conversion Kit $11.49

-Traxxas E-Revo Gear Set, Differential $12.75

-Robinson Racing Extra-Hard Clutch Bell (15T) $17.99

I also have some Blue rit dye for the rockers. now i need to find a way to get some fuel.

RC Racer
    Wow! Nice order! I bet u can't wait until it comes in! Is this your first nitro?

RC Enthusiast
    Nice order! I might have to pick up some of those RPM axel carriers. I'm scoring a 5309 for like $200 and has a broken one..Rest is in good shape =D.

RC Qualifier
    I had a tmaxx 2.5 and 3.3 and a 3.3 with os.21 and barely any stock parts. Built it from scratch.

This is my first nitro revo I was going to buy a savage but ive got an erevo so at least some parts are interchangeable and its easier to keep spares

The revo comes with a small oil filter bottle right? I thought they came with nitro necessary items

Last edited by Maxx_Adam; 09-05-2013 at 01:00 PM.

RC Racer
    Wait should have known it wasn't ur first nitro I'm seeing all the other comments u made. Yes it comes with oil filter bottle.

RC Competitor
    Maxx_Adam I was just wondering...why the E-Revo diff gear set? Is this for your E-Revo or are they a different ratio than the 3.3's gear set? I'm always looking for ways to improve the performance of my Revo and am not familiar with the E version...

The E-Revo diffs are a bit stronger with an added I-beam inside the cup. The nitro cup will get worn by the pin holding the spider gears whereas the E diffs eliminate that problem. A good upgrade to go with.

A new Revo does come with a small bottle of 30wt shock oil, though many buy different weights to get their suspension set up to how they like.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    I have one I beam set already. Ill be adding 100k diff fluid ir maybe 500k. My erevo has 1M diff fluid.

I have shock oil from 25 to 100 wt I bought a pack of 12 tlr oils. I also have a bunch od associated diff oils.

I intend to get this truck broke in before I add the clutch, foc, and losi carb. Ill ejd up eventually getting the ofna force .28

A local guy here has an extended chassis revo im not sure where he got it but I want one

RC Qualifier
    Just ordered a few more parts.

Blue sidewall protectors
    Hd slipper, ive had the stock pads break before
    Extra glow plug
    Black aluminum toe and steer links.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    is the truck in yet??
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    I live in Canada could take a few weeks. I was going to get one in canada but I had a 10 percent discount and I wanted to collect points

RC Qualifier
    I got my last few parts, I also had on order a pull start and tower hobby glow igniter.

Eventually ill get lunsford pushrods and rocker arm posts, I should have some weight taken off and more room made.

Posted by my Galaxy tab 3 8"

RC Qualifier
    Finally got it all.

One question tho does the opti drive affect shifting? I was going to remove it but if it helps with shifting I guess ill keep, tomorrow im going to put in the hitec and go get the motor broke in before I change everything

RC Enthusiast
    The only functions the Opti-Drive performs is to make sure you can't shift between forward/reverse while applying power. It has nothing to do with transmission shifting.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 4

RC Enthusiast
    Get the FOC, close ratio gears, center diff and completely remove the Opti-Drive.

RC Qualifier
    I have the foc. Isnt close ratio stock abd wide optional? I didn't like the center diff in my electrics they only work on lowered race style. I want my nitro high for off road and sannd pits

Posted by my Galaxy Note 2

RC Enthusiast
    No...stock is wide ratio.

RC Competitor
    Congratulations on your most recent addition to your rc family. I always enjoy the arrival of a fresh new ride, that new car smell, everything all shiny and perfect...ahhh but I digress. Anywho, I saw your post and just wanted to chip in with my two cents worth; on the Lunsford rocker posts, IMO they are unneeded unless you just want them for the bling factor. They are rather pricey and I bash the heck outta my Revo and have never broken the stock steel ones. If you are looking for a significant weight reduction I would go with the Traxxas aluminum units. Be warned, however, they are not as sturdy as stock but those in conjunction with the aluminum pillow balls will give a hefty weight loss. I wonder, do you intend to race or bash, or some happy combination of both? Sorry for being so long winded but I could sit and talk about Revos all day. They are by far my favorite rc.

RC Qualifier
    I have 3 bent steel rocker posts from my erevo, not sure why, my suspension bottoms out on the skid plate, i guess its the rough ground. for piviot balls, the HR ones are a lot cheaper than lunsford and so light you can barely feel them in your hands, i've cracked off a piviot once in a crash, so far my Ti piviots are doing great.

RC Qualifier
    The wife is obviously out of town, i'm currently building 3 new RC's and 2 others are scrapped in another room getting rebuilt.

I used #1 front, and #2 rear with 50wt Losi oil, and the silver front/blue rear springs. its got real fast rebound, i'll try it out soon on some dirt.

I went to get my motor broke in and i forgot to charge the RX battery so i didn't even get through one tank but i did get done:

Shocks
    FOC and removed opti drive
    single Hitec 7955TG, very good servo! my favorite so far.
    M2c clutch

With the clutch what springs are you guys using?? i have the yellow ones in and they are too soft, the wheels move while idling and the clurch is fully engaged because if i brake it will stall. I'll get the motor broke in before i change it becuase its a PAIN to change the springs. is there an easy trick??

RC Enthusiast
    You need a work bench my friend. Your knees going to be killing you working on the floor.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_2218-55738-L...nch&facetInfo=

If you can buy hundreds in rc you can afford $200!!

RC Competitor
    I don't know of any tricks for clutch shoes, but definitely invest in a good quality clutch tool will make life a whole lot easier, and safer. I got a kick out of your pics...kinda looked like an rc exploded in your living room...looks like you are well on the way to having a sweet ride. About the m2c clutch, is that the manufacturer or the model? I'm looking to upgrade my set-up from stock but not really sure what direction I want to go in. I'm in the process of updating a 7 year old Revo which has sat on the shelf collecting dust since new. It was never even started until about a month ago. How is the single servo conversion working out? I went with the 7954 hitec, am wondering now if I should have spent the extra 20 and wwent with titanium gears...guess I'll find out down the road. I am waiting to install it because am still using the am radio. Well good luck with the rest of your build.

RC Qualifier
    I have 4 7954s and they are great serovs in the revo and maxx trucks. but i'm really liking this 7955, its noticably better, the wheels steer full speed on pavement at standstill, the truck is soo agile!!.

M2c is the brandname, I have the 40mm but its almost too big i think its for big blocks the flywheel almost rubs my carb boot. now that i have it broke in its much better, I started tunning, i jsut leaned it a 1/4 turn and i'm loving the revo, way better than the T-maxx, actually i had more fun with this than any of my electrics, i find them boring now, NOISE is way better. the motor is running around 180-195F bashing around on my 6th tank.

I'm going to add a pull start soon so i don't have to carry around the ez start thing. I'll eventually get the on board glow igniter, you just tough the button and it glows the plug for 30 seconds from the RX battery.

I'll add the +19mm rear arms and RPM knuckles once my other rig is done.

My only electric thats about as fun as a nitro burner.

Next spring i'll get a 5SC SS and ONB 27.2cc long block 4 bolt

RC Qualifier
    next modification will be a PushGlo

http://www.switchglo.com/shop/

RC Racer
    Man that revo is awesome i wish i could get the time and the $ to do something like that to my traxxas revo 2.5r that is one of the first that came out and i bought it used becase i got a hpi nitro rs4 mt and as soon as i got that engine running to break in i sold it because the motor is weak YOU HPI!!!! and long live the traxxas revo!! but any i have gotten the red push rods from traxxas push glo pull start rpm a arms integy body posts integy tank gaurd integy full skid plate rpm ball cups and to top it all of a 3.3 engine. ps i just noticed i still have the stock servos!

RC Qualifier
    The 3.3 isnt as powerful as i thought. Ive leaned it about a 1/2 turn from break in, any more and it willl not shift into second, ive started to richen up again as it was over 200 a lot. Once it felt like i had the best tune I leaned the low needle a small bit, when i pinch the line it will run about 3 seconds and shut off but does not speed up right before shutting

The clutch seems fine so im not sure whats happening, but it dont seem much more powerful then my 2.5 i had. Ill try again tomorrow with the losi 3.4 carb, im also going to bunch some small holes in the windshield.

I also need to tune my suspension, it always nose dives off jumps, i might try thicker oil in the rear shocks.

Tank 6 does not mean the engine is fully broken in and will give you full power. These engines come alive after about a half gallon.
    The Super Derecho

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah I'd say the 3.3 isn't max potential until 1 gal in.

RC Qualifier

Thats what ive got left so far. I got 6 years of about 2 gallons a year out if my 2.5 tmaxx

RC Racer
    hey i found that i broke in a 3.3 for my buddy and i found out that traxxas top fuel works better in the 3.3

RC Qualifier
    Ok so its been raining a lot lately so im going to finish my upgrades.

Got the motor done, I added a pull start, black Springs on the m2c with the H facing out, losi 3.4 carb, 15t robinson extra hard clutch bell.

My goal is to get some weight off. I've got a few more things I picked up to start on this week.

RC Qualifier
    I got the Push Glo, its just awesome, no wand or igniter to carry around anymore.

All black pushrods

I'm getting some weight off this truck, and next think i'll get in the summer is a life Rx battery.

The whole gang out

The Losi 3.4 carb is great, this thing is ripping pretty good, sometime next year i'll have to get a .28
    Last edited by Maxx_Adam; 10-10-2013 at 05:55 PM.

RC Competitor
    I was wondering what you are using for pushrods in the pic above? I have a new Revo I'm going to be upgrading soon and don't really want all the red on it that my other Revos have. Also was wondering what your thoughts were on the Losi carb. I keep hearing how great they are but I'm not sure I want to spend the money for just a little power increase. Is the power increase really significant and how does it affect run times? Also in regards to your comment about engine temps. my truck usually runs in the 240's and 250's with copious amounts of smoke and good results when doing the pinch test. I wonder now though if perhaps I am running too lean. Even with those temps. there is still a slight power increase if I lean further. I usually try to tune for max power then richen my HSN about 2-3 hours and readjust the LSN as needed. Anybody have any input on this?