Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    44 years old, got into the hobby as a result of a gift for my son when he earned his Black Belt in September, 2010.
    Since then, my wife has gotten the bug so we have 3 Rusty's and I also have a mini-Losi that I won in a raffle at a car show, and my wife bought herself an e-10 for goofing off.
    I also recruited my best friend into it, he bought an e-Revo. I hear if I recruit one more person I will get a free toaster. (The older members here will get the joke)

As for money - I have no clue, but I know it's a lot. Worth every penny though.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

RC Qualifier
    I'm 15 Christmas will be 2 years one stampede 2x4 money- all parent money

RC Competitor
    I'm 39. I've been doing this since I got my first grasshopper at 11. Over the years I have bought , sold and traded 1000's of cars and trucks. Any given month 15-20 cars flow through my house. Some are impulse buys. Others are bought to repair and sell. In all of this I'm constantly looking for those special models to add to the permanent collection.

I can't begin to imagine the money spent. If I had to ball park it I'd say somewhere around $100-120k. Keep in mind that buying and selling cars has paid for 90% of this.

I couldn't do it otherwise.

RC Qualifier
    Advice from a 17 year old kid, I pay for EVERYTHING RC related(even down to the WD-40). I wish I started working sooner.... My family is well off(IMO) but they DO NOT like RC at all, we have a boat, 2 houses, 4 dirtbikes, 2012 M3, and GL550(AMG Model) and I pay for my phone bill, it's not that I have a problem paying for my stuff but its the other things that agitate me such as when I do something around the house that's labor intensive(cleaning a 31" boat) for hours in the Texas heat I don't get a thank you. Anyways, choose wisely, bargain shop but don't cheap out. In other words get a job as fast as you can, yes even if it's next to minimum wage. You have to start somewhere, even the local Kroger or Mom and pop store. My advice on selling RC things, I won't do it anymore... I don't like to loose money but sometimes just things need to go. Since I have started working (about 6 months) I have made roughly $1,500(only 20 hrs a week at the local Kroger), made $500 from selling a neighbors gas powered golfcart and I am about to hopefully make some serious dough from selling 4 dirtbikes of ours and a trailer! I don't know where you live but I am in a Water community so I help many of the wealthy neighbors clean there Yachts(I mean (I) CLEAN there yachts) but get paid usually around $75-225 for doing it. Cleaned a 42" yacht a few times and walked away with $250. I used to mow yards when I lived towards the non-marine community and cleaned up pretty good there to(I had a top of the line Deere too). I pressure wash, walk dogs, car sit, boat sit, and do a few other things for people too, it all adds up. I used to build computers and my god did that take some MAJOR cash! Pointless to build a $4k machine to gather dust... Wash cars, rake leaves, shovel snow, hang a picture for an old woman, paint a fence, help someone , it all adds up sooner or later. Spend it wisely, keep an emergency "cash stash". Don't worry, you should make it if you are not a slob! I pay for most of my clothes now days too, R-L for life!
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-10-2013 at 10:51 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^ completely irrelevant.....
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Champion
    17. Been in the hobby for about 6 years, spent probably about 3-4k. Obviously all my own money.
    Rustler VXL | Slash | Stampede 4x4

RC Champion
    I'm 57 yrs. old and have been an RC fan for years[late sixties] but really got heavily involved in 2006 when I bought out an on-line friend's collection in 2006. Between my wife, daughter and myself, we have over thirty assorted RCs. Wife has five, daughter has two and the rest are mine all mine,lol.

As for putting a dollar value on how much I've spent since 2006, I'd rather not, since my wife would start removing my body parts if she ever finds out.
    Bullet/Bullet2 / Hawk2/ Blue Eagle/E-Maxx/T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by LocatedGecko7 View Post
    ^^^^^ completely irrelevant.....
    Just saying start working wen your young if you don't.
    PM for info.....

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Have you been to the Track in Alvin? I went there this past weekend with SLW-SVT. If you are up to it maybe we can all meet up one weekend.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    At the office installing another box of Internets...
    Advice from a 17 year old kid, I pay for EVERYTHING RC related(even down to the WD-40). I wish I started working sooner.... My family is well off(IMO) but they DO NOT like RC at all, we have a boat, 2 houses, 4 dirtbikes, 2012 M3, and GL550(AMG Model) and I pay for my phone bill, it's not that I have a problem paying for my stuff but its the other things that agitate me such as when I do something around the house that's labor intensive(cleaning a 31" boat) for hours in the Texas heat I don't get a thank you. Anyways, choose wisely, bargain shop but don't cheap out. In other words get a job as fast as you can, yes even if it's next to minimum wage. You have to start somewhere, even the local Kroger or Mom and pop store. My advice on selling RC things, I won't do it anymore... I don't like to loose money but sometimes just things need to go. Since I have started working (about 6 months) I have made roughly $1,500(only 20 hrs a week at the local Kroger), made $500 from selling a neighbors gas powered golfcart and I am about to hopefully make some serious dough from selling 4 dirtbikes of ours and a trailer! I don't know where you live but I am in a Water community so I help many of the wealthy neighbors clean there Yachts(I mean (I) CLEAN there yachts) but get paid usually around $75-225 for doing it. Cleaned a 42" yacht a few times and walked away with $250. I used to mow yards when I lived towards the non-marine community and cleaned up pretty good there to(I had a top of the line Deere too). I pressure wash, walk dogs, car sit, boat sit, and do a few other things for people too, it all adds up. I used to build computers and my god did that take some MAJOR cash! Pointless to build a $4k machine to gather dust... Wash cars, rake leaves, shovel snow, hang a picture for an old woman, paint a fence, help someone , it all adds up sooner or later. Spend it wisely, keep an emergency "cash stash". Don't worry, you should make it if you are not a slob! I pay for most of my clothes now days too, R-L for life!
    Perhaps you should invest your money (or would that be your parent's money?) into a few English and grammar classes.
    I shot an elephant in my underwear last night...

I've been in the RC hobby in 2 segments. When I was 20 for 2 yrs and now, which was 10 yrs ago. I'm 49 and holding.

Money? It's spent when the bills are paid, if things are good then more fun money, when things are not so great things will wait.

Oh, don't even think I'm going to say what I've spent... Read my sig for Pete's sake.....
    Founder of H.U.A.
    Hop Ups Anonymous

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    Perhaps you should invest your money (or would that be your parent's money?) into a few English and grammar classes.
    It's a forum buddy, I don't care much. I am about the only kid left that spells out words correctly in texting. I am going to be out of the house after 18 so it would be my money that I would spend. Funny I have a 92 in English 4 so I aint' that durn wurried bout this here 4um... I could sit there and just "chop" on people too, guess I would rather use my Rc boats/cars. Not "chopping" on you either for your grammar post. If someone spells some word wrong on here they tend to be out of the States or don't care. I like that location to that is listed under your name!
    PM for info.....

Quote Originally Posted by PMDRACER View Post
    Don't you mean, "your parents' money"?
    What is required here is enough basic punctuation, spelling, and grammar to get ideas across to other members without making the exchange tortuous for either party. Unless you care to pit your language skills against mine, I suggest you do not revisit this subject.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I am 14 I started the hobby in 2009. Between my Spartan, Villan EX, and E-Maxx I have spent roughly $2500. It is nice knowing that my addiction is shared.
    Powered by Castle.....

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I turned 33 today. Got into the hobby when I was about 8 with my dad, only lasted a few years. Back then electric wasn't much fun and nitro was complicated and not reliable. Got back in about 6 years ago and dabbled a bit with some nitro stuff that always failed to impress me. Picked up a Stampede XL5 on a whim about 4 years ago and was just totally hooked.

Ive owned well over 100 cars/trucks/boats/planes/heli's etc. I spend alot of time buying and selling to make a bit of extra $$ to help fund the hobby. If I had to tally up what I've spent in total over the past 4 years alone there would be at least 5 digits and id guess the first number would be at least a 5… but I recovered much of that with smart buying and selling. On the other hand, I've lost HUGE amounts of money on vehicles and upgrades I just HAD to have, then no longer wanted. Lol.

My first few RC's WAY back in the day were either paid for, or subsidized by my dad. Since getting back in, everything has been paid for by me, obviously… and VISA…

Im currently down to my lowest vehicle count in a long time. 3 runners, 3 vintage shelfers, one untouched limited edition, 3 heli's one quad and a boat. Just ordered a Walkera X350 with FPV set-up to see if it will work for my business (TV shows).
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    I turned 33 today. Got into the hobby when I was about 8 with my dad, only lasted a few years. Back then electric wasn't much fun and nitro was complicated and not reliable. Got back in about 6 years ago and dabbled a bit with some nitro stuff that always failed to impress me. Picked up a Stampede XL5 on a whim about 4 years ago and was just totally hooked.

Ive owned well over 100 cars/trucks/boats/planes/heli's etc. I spend alot of time buying and selling to make a bit of extra $$ to help fund the hobby. If I had to tally up what I've spent in total over the past 4 years alone there would be at least 5 digits and id guess the first number would be at least a 5… but I recovered much of that with smart buying and selling. On the other hand, I've lost HUGE amounts of money on vehicles and upgrades I just HAD to have, then no longer wanted. Lol.

My first few RC's WAY back in the day were either paid for, or subsidized by my dad. Since getting back in, everything has been paid for by me, obviously… and VISA…

Im currently down to my lowest vehicle count in a long time. 3 runners, 3 vintage shelfers, one untouched limited edition, 3 heli's one quad and a boat. Just ordered a Walkera X350 with FPV set-up to see if it will work for my business (TV shows).
    First of all Happy Birthday!! My situation is kind of like yours except I'm a good bit older and my Visa stays away from my r/c purchases. I have a deal with the wife about these cars. I can get a new one only under two conditions. I sell one first or I sell something to fund the new purchase. It works pretty well except for when a deal fall in my lap. In that case the wife doesn't always know what I do. I to am down to the lowest vehicle count I've had in a long time. I only have one shelf queen at the moment (Never run HPI RS4 Sport 2) all the rest are runners to some extent.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    Bump, biggest thread possible, we can definatly make it, good subject!!!!!
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Qualifier
    Originally got into the hobby in the late 70's paid over $400 for a Tamiya(I think!) Porsche 934 and another $200 for a 2ch radio(sticks, no steering wheel) I used my own money against my parents wishes, but in the end I got a lot of entertainment from that car (mostly fixing--little actual driving) The car was put away until my older sister's bf saw it and tinkered with it, then we saw an ad in an RC Flyer magazine for the now famous Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher!! We bought one of each and they were amazing! Fully waterproof, locked diff,real suspension, good motor(for the time) but we rarely had both running, living 800km north of Toronto, supplies were hard to get.

Now I'm in my 40's and after buying a couple of Radio Shack buggies in the 90's that were actually pretty fast--taking 8 AA batts-- had fun playing "tag" with them until they died. I saw youtube videos for Traxxas products and after reading about brushless motors and LiPo batts, I bought a new MERV and a used Slash 4x4 in the spring of 2013 and they are amazing!

I work full time and am debt free so I have disposable income for RC's and have spent $1000+ (more like $2000 lol) since march

RC Qualifier
    N/m tried to upload an image
    Last edited by mikekoz68; 11-17-2013 at 09:21 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    Have you been to the Track in Alvin? I went there this past weekend with SLW-SVT. If you are up to it maybe we can all meet up one weekend.
    I have been there, used to live near there on Cemetery road(back towards I-45) for a while. I have never brought my rc's there but I have ridden are dirtbikes on the bike track there. It's not a bad track at all! Maybe we could meet if I still had a land based RC....I am down to a Spartan and Villain EX... Hopefully new Slash 4x4 Ultimate in January! I remember that it used to be called Skeeters a few years back, I have no idea what the name is now...
    Last edited by Spartanator; 11-17-2013 at 12:55 PM.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier
    16- been in hobby for around 2 years.

own- 2x4 slash vxl
    4x4 slash vxl

spent probably 2,500. all my own. But i recently bought a big 4x4 lifted dodge ram cummins diesel truck so i have lowered my rc budget haha. can't afford it all. maybe i should get another job, lol still got to fit school in there.

RC Champion
    I was at my friends house saturday and we had a quick discussion about money spent on this hobby. For our saturday night racing, we really try and keep it as cheap as possible as far as the vehicles go. Electronics are another story, but they don't tend to get too damaged from the crashes. We all have two sides to r/c at this group I go to. We have our racers and then we have our show runners or shelf queens. I prefer to run mine, but my friend prefers to shelf his. At last count he had well over 100 show cars and I can't even begin to count the runners. Its a true addiction further spurred on by his wife who is just as bad as he is. He was just talking about another purchase, I don't even remember what kind of vehicle it was, but it was sitting along side all the others.. I will never ask him what he has invested in the collection which includes just about everything made as well as boats and airplanes, but I would venture to guess well into 6 figures at this point. If you count the cases of spare parts for just about every car made, it gets interesting.
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC Qualifier
    I have been there, used to live near there on Cemetery road(back towards I-45) for a while. I have never brought my rc's there but I have ridden are dirtbikes on the bike track there. It's not a bad track at all! Maybe we could meet if I still had a land based RC....I am down to a Spartan and Villain EX... Hopefully new Slash 4x4 Ultimate in January! I remember that it used to be called Skeeters a few years back, I have no idea what the name is now...
    Do you still have your Villan? I thought you sold it.