Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Lets talk about age, experience, and $

I have been curious about my peers on this forum, so as the title says why dont we share our age, our years into the hobby and how deep we are financially, so i guess ill start off, im 16 years old, been in the hobby for one year, and ive spent about 2,500$ (and no im not spoiled and yes thats all my money, i actually got a job because of rc cars), so why dont you guys share underneath and we can all get to know each other
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Champion
    I'm 15, 8 years into the hobby and about $1550 spent ever since that start 8 years ago....

$200 on my first rc, a stampede sold
    $200 on another brand rc sold
    $350+ $400 in upgrades on a slash vxl sold
    $200 on a slash 4x4 roller +$200 on upgrades (used electronics from my slash vxl) still own it
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    I'm 43 now. Been in rc since the tamyia grasshopper first came out. It was in the 80's i do believe, lol. I have owned around 20 traxxas rc's, and blown a easy fifteen grand for them plus there hop ups (that's from day one up to today). I usually have 6-8 rc's on hand at all times. Some are shelf ornaments, or usually waiting for parts, lol. Yes i worked for every penny.

My current list is
    2 e-maxxes
    summit
    e-revo
    mini e-revo
    mini rally
    sprint 2 flux
    Last edited by ajcar; 09-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

I'm 34, been back into the hobby since 2009.
    I have spent more than I'm willing to admit.
    Added up my 58 orders from A-main hobbies alone a week ago.
    $4530.36 since April 2010.

And A-main is not even my primary source...

Current Fleet is
    Traxxas - Summit (LT), ERBE, ESlayerPro4x4, XO-1, MERV, Ken Block VXL.
    Non-Traxxas - SC8e, (2) GTP2e, CX2 Heli.
    (RAH) (AH) + [ROMA (1+MA)] + (GA) + (OOH)(LA)

RC Qualifier
    17 years old. Been I. The hobby for 3 years. Spent probably 5k. I'm paid pretty well but I definitely work for it all and a couple thousand are my dads RCs that I keep warm for him lol.

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    13 years old. Been in RC for 1 1/2 years, and into RC cars for a year. Spent $943.15 not that im counting or anything...
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Champion
    I'm 45...my first hobby grade RC was a Tamiya back in about 1978.
    As for a dollar amount...I won't even begin to guess.
    --
    "Dude,I almost had you"
    R.I.P Paul Walker

RC Qualifier
    36 and bought my first rc last Xmas as a present to myself and just to get into this hobby which a was a rustler brushed , purchased a charger and a 5000mah nimh , week later bought a vxl rustler week later bought a hpiRS4 nitro that i never got running then a week later bought a 2wdslash then in next 2 months bought a XO-1 ,4wd slash, zd 1/8 buggy and truggy, then GTP2e , 1/10 AE Tc4 FT, traxxas spartan , another XO-1 a proboat Stilleto race boat a traxxas spartan , a brushless F-18 fighter jet which I crashed right after take off , then bought another one to try again only to never fly and sell it , have sold off most as was getting into onroad racing so I bought kyosh0GT2', and kyosho GT1 brushless conversion and another ofna onroad car , have probably a thousand just in bodies that are rare and discontinued now I just bought a $300,000 couple months back so RC purchases have come to a,standstill but I'm lookin to grip either a emaxx or erevo roller and throw this spare 1/8 system I have laying around
    XO-1,SLASH 4X4 ,SLASH 2WD , 2/RUSTLER

RC Champion
    50 years old.. Got into the hobby in the 60's with my father.. Control line planes and tether cars. heavily into the hobby since the later 80's, so I'm guessing around 25+ years. As to how much spent.. I won't venture to guess because I really don't want to know and the wife would probably inflict some kind of bodily damage to me.. A guess would be somewhere around 30-50K... And that is probably a low guess..
    Maxx3.3/ rusty5700/ slash3800/ slash5700 /4tec3.3

RC poster
    24... literally just hopped on board not 2 days ago and i haven't bought anything yet. picking something is proving way harder than I thought. i might just close my eyes and start clicking...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm 36, been 7 years with Traxxas, and introduced to RC back in 1986... I currently owe around 15k to my credit card, and spent over 50k over the past 7 years...
    200, 202, 420, humor 404, 301 to rc10talk, 410.

RC Competitor
    Wow, glad I'm not the only one with such a severe addiction! I'm 38, bought my first rc car (original slayer) in 2009. Within the first year, bought a jato and 4-tec and have since have added a revo. For a while there, I was buying boxes of traxxas parts on eBay, so now I have several additional cars, mostly duplicates. After bodies tires and hop ups, I have close to $4k or so invested.

Revo 3.3, Slayer 3.3, Jato 3.3, 4-Tec Cup Car

Well let's see here. My father bought me a Rustler many many years ago. I was probably around 10 years old or so and I'm now 28 years old. One with a MSC and a Stinger 20T motor. I used it for a while then it sat in the garage for about 10 or 12 years while we perused a different hobby. Then around November of 2008 I decided to blow the dust off of it and rebuild the Rustler to updated specs and I bought a Traxxas Slayer. I got laid off in 2008 and job hunted for 2 years (which really killed me) I hated being out of work for that long worst 2 years of my life so far. I finally got blessed with a good job in 2010 and that's when the madness started. Don't ask how much I've spent because I have no idea but it's up there pretty good.

Currently I own.......
    4 Traxxas
    3 HPI's
    2 Losi's
    1 Axial
    2 Park flyer foamies S.E.5a and a F86 Sabre EDF
    1 Align Trex 450 Pro DFC
    4 micro helis various brands
    1 micro quad 1sq
    and actually this week I have a DJI Phantom coming that I also need to pick up a Go Pro for. I really need to stop

I just wanted to say it's been a fun ride for me. I am 21 now, and signed up on traxxas many years ago when I got my T-Maxx. Things haven't been the same since.

RC Champion
    I'm 28 and have been in the hobby for a year and a half. I have 19 cars and have spent over 22k so far and am having the time of my life! Also, I may be an addict...
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Competitor
    34 been in the hobby since I was about 8. My dad built and flew planes, got me started with control line. When I was 10 he passed away and that really magnified the Rc hobby in my life. Haven't put a remote control down since.

I've owned just about any Rc that came out since st one point or another, I've still got planes, helis, on roads, off roads & boats. Micros to large scale big and small and in between! I'm sure ill miss a few but let's see..

Currently have
    Hpi Baja 5b
    Hpi Baja 5t
    Redcat 1/5 Rally On Road
    Traxxas slash 4x4
    Traxxas MERV
    Hpi Blitz
    Ofna Buggy
    6 Hpi R40's
    5 hpi rs4 3's
    Axial SCX10
    Axial RTR AX10 Crawler
    Redcat RS10
    2 Losi Micro Crawlers
    Losi Mini Crawler
    XTM Mammoth ST Pro
    Nib Vintage Kyosho Kart
    Nib Vintage Kyosho Corvette
    Nib Vintage Kyosho Ultimate
    Vintage Tamiya Sand Scorcher
    Vintage Tamiya Blackfoot
    Vintage Tamiya Midnightpumpkin
    Vintage 1/8 Serpent
    2 X-ray NT18's
    X-ray NT MT 18
    Kyosho Fortune
    Dumas Airboat
    Blade 450
    Blade MSR
    Blade Tandem
    Blade MQX
    Traxxas QR-1
    1 40 size nitro plane left
    Century Hawk Sport

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, tons of parts Nitro engines radio gear you name it i have it. I am proud of my hoard my family not so much but hey it's what I do.. Since falling on poor health my collection has grown and probably gotten out of hand but I really love and enjoy the hobby

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chris
    Slash 4x4
    MERV

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterman View Post
    Haven't put a remote control down since.
    with all your exp, one would think you knew the difference between radio control and remote control! lol just bustin your chops a bit!
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    with all your exp, one would think you knew the difference between radio control and remote control! lol just bustin your chops a bit!
    Add control line planes (NON-RADIO) and perhaps "remote control" is a better, more general phrase.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    I am 56 and got back into it at Christmas last year. I could have bought a pretty decent real SUV for what I now have in it. I have 1 son, 2 son inlaws and 4 grand sons and hundreds of acres of open space behind my new home. Call it a perfect storm.

I now have
    6 full size Summits
    2 Summit VXL's,
    2 2wd Slashes
    TMaxx
    EMaxx
    2 - Blade Helicopters

After reading some of the other posts I am relieved to find my addiction is not all that bad.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Im 14 I have been in rcs since my dad got me a revo 2.5 like 4 years ago. We have sold those and we bought slash 4x4s but he took all the money from the revo so i had to save up the money and then got it. I have spent probably 1000-1500$ of my own money on my slash and i love it. Since i got my slash i bought a mini revo for cheap but a couple months later i sold it because i couldnt drive it anywhere because it was soo small. I plan on haveing rc cars forever as that is one of my main hobbies. And i want my kids to have fun with it too.

RC Qualifier
    35 years old and have the following vehicles:
    - Tamiya Stadium Blitzer (Vintage)
    - Associated RC10T Team Truck (Vintage)
    - Tamiya Super Sabre (Vintage)
    - Associated RC10B4
    - Associated TC3
    - Traxxas Stampede
    - Associated RC10T4
    - HPI Blitz
    - Traxxas Slash 4x4 Platinum

The vintage cars and trucks I purchased with my hard earned money in my teens and 20s. All of my stuff sat idle until my 2 (3 now) said, "Daddy, make cars move." After an expletive I charged some seriously decrepit batteries and brought the 10T4 outside. I got tired of the thing breaking and bought a Blitz. I then decided that I wanted something that I could easily get parts for and got the Sl4sh.

I promised my boy that when he gets proficient with his toy cars, I will buy him a 1/16 Slash.

RC Qualifier
    32 Years Old
    Been in the hobby for about 2 yrs
    Easily Spent 2-3 thousand thus far.
    Only running (1) MMM E-Revo currently
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

RC Competitor
    ^^^Bought my son a brushed E-Maxx when he was 3. He's 8 now and a much better driver than me. lol. I'm just getting back into the hobby after a 3 year break due to some personal problems and then a severe auto accident(real). I'm 38 and my addiction started in 99 with the original T-Maxx. I played with it for about a year then the brake disc stripped out and I parked it and moved on to bikes and quads which was my main hobby in those days. anyway the old T sat patiently collecting dust waiting on the day it would be resurrected...I picked back up in 05 and things got crazy...I currently have over 20 rc's counting 4 that are my son's and with the exception of one monster truck kit I built and sold because I didn't like the philips head hardware, I still have them all. I've never figured out how much $ I have spent but if I had to guess it's probably in the neighborhood of 20 K if I was to count vehicles, upgrades, etc. But IMO and especially considering the hard times that my rc cars have helped me through, that was and is the best money I've ever spent...thanks for listening...

I am 54 and bought my first hobby grade RC in 1986. I dont even want to think about how much $ I have spent in the hobby.
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 09-04-2013 at 04:35 PM.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    EXPERIENCE:Always learning and willing to pass on first hand knowledge of what i've learned
    $USD$: Well just say iv'e well exceeded a couple of "Salmon P. Chase" bills.

Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Qualifier
    Mon i know there is more of you!!

RC Qualifier
    42 years old. 1 1/2 year in hobby. Loving every minute of it. Plenty $ spent.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

Hi I am 35 years old and have only got back into the hobby in the last 3 years but in the 80s/90s had a grasshopper and my best mate had a clodbuster.And I have spent lots on the hobby but it cant be matched to the fun I have had.......peace

Spencer
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Well I had 7 traxxas RC and 4 others before my house burnt down.

So far I have an ERBE, axial exo, e maxx, revo 3.3, 16th rally, soon to have a 27.2cc oneil brothers 5sc, im starting a dji hexacopter for fpv.

Of the receipts I could find from the last few years I added up just over $12000

Insurance is a real pain. Over 6 months now and still fighting.

I want my FLM/UE Emaxx back!

Posted by my Galaxy Note 2

RC Racer
    im 15 got about 800 invested in my truck and have been in the hobby for a few months (yes all the money spent is my money not my parents)
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC Qualifier
    I'm 43 and got into RC about 3 yrs ago. Currently have an ERBE and Ruslter VXL. I had/sold/lost nitro Revo, Nitro Rustler and Rustler XL5.

I've been into 1:1 cars and motorcycles/ATCs since I was 14. I got into RC to absorb some of my motorsports addictions and save me some money. Boy was that a mistake.

Oh, and I have a major tire addiction. lol

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    I'm 41, have been in the hobby since '06 when I met my brother-in-law. He has been into RC's since he was a kid, and introduced me to the hobby. I started out with an original E-Maxx and kept it fairly low-key for a year and then started buying and modding more and more. I think I had four trucks or so, then I got a part-time job at a Hobbytown. I moved up to store manager after a year, and my addiction really took off. I currently have eleven RC's but am ready to become a Telluride owner and also want another micro car to drift with. I have done a lot of buying, selling and trading. What have I spent? I can't even guess; but I'm sure it is in the tens of thousands...

I have owned:

Four E-Maxx's
    6WD E-Maxx
    E-Maxx crawler
    T-Maxx
    S-Maxx
    E 4tec
    Two 2wd Slashes
    BackSlash
    HPI Nitro Rush
    HPI Nitro MT2
    HPI RS4
    Nitro Plane
    Custom crawler

Currently own:

2wd Slash (not a single stock part left!)
    BL E-4tec
    FLM E-Maxx
    Axial Wraith
    Axial SCX-10
    Axial 6WD SCX-10
    Two Losi micro scalers
    Losi mini-DT scale truck
    Micro drifter (project)
    Micro heli

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10

RC Champion
    28 years old. Been in the hobby for about a year and a half. Owned a Nitro Rustler 2.5 sold about a month ago and bought a used brushed 3903 E MAXX a week ago. Probably have sent around $1,000-$1,500.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

RC Qualifier
    31 years old. Been in the hobby for about a year an a half.

I've owned
    1 brushed emaxx
    1 brushless emaxx with lots of hop ups
    1 erevo
    1 brushless slash 2wd
    1 brushed stampede 2wd
    1 brushless stampede 2wd
    1 brushless rustler
    2 1/16 erevo vxl
    1 summit vxl
    1 1/16 slash vxl
    3 small heli's
    And have a 1/16 68' camaro on the way.

The only vehicles I don't have out of the list anymore are.
    Brushed emaxx
    1/16 slash vxl.

As for money........a lot. I'd have to say three to four thousand usd. I love this hobby. My wife and kids all have their own vehicles to drive and we have a blast together. Between rc's fishing and shooting, I have plenty of expensive hobbies! But I wouldn't have it any other way.
    addicted much....

RC poster
    I'm 48 years old and started with R/C planes in 1976. Moved on to helicopters in the early 80's and got into cars just 2 years ago. It's been a really great hobby (keeps me out of the bars). The changes in technology have been absolutely amazing. (Anyone remember Heathkit or Kraft radios?) As for the money, well, who knows. I really don't want to this.k about it.

I'm 14 years old and have been in this hobby since I was 12 (June 2011)
    About 3000$ is my guess, all my own money
    Slash 2wd, Slash 4x4, 30th digger, Rustler VXL

RC poster
    Im 28 now. I have had a few different cars in the past. got into them about 9 years ago. I currently have 2 losi xxx-nt, 3.3 revo, 3.3 jato, 1/16th e-revo and a 3.3 2wd slash. I'm not sure what I have spent on these cars but probably 4-5k. Im ok with spending money on them. better than a lot of other addiction's people have. My wife doesn't mind one bit. just had my first son and I plan on him joining the sport when he's old enough. just bought the 3.3 robby gordon slash 3 day's ago. already looking at buying another one the Summit.

RC Qualifier
    I'm 15, turning 16 in a few weeks. I had a Rustler XL-5 about 4 years ago and sold it to my friend who wanted to get into the hobby, and bought a new Slash 4x4 which I have dumped over $300 into just to make it to my liking. I have over $1000 in the hobby for sure.
    Brushless Rips, Nitro Drips!!! BL Power FTW!

RC Qualifier
    Any others! Lets keep it goin!