Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Qualifier

Tekin in my Summit, will it do well?

Hi there, i'm looking forward to put this in my summit:http://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/38067142...84.m1423.l2649

What do tou guys think, good or bad?

Thanks!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

It will be fun, but you WILL break parts.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Qualifier
    What parts should i be watching for?

What parts should i be watching for?
    You might break the center drive shaft, all 4 axle shafts, the diff outputs, the diff cup, the spider gears, and maybe a spur gear or two. Ya, brushless can be rough on your truck!
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

RC Racer
    If you set your slipper right and shim your diffs, you will be just fine. A 1700KV is kinda slow though. You might want to find like a 2000KV or higher. My 2100KV is noticeably slower than my 2560KV.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    If you set your slipper right and shim your diffs, you will be just fine. A 1700KV is kinda slow though. You might want to find like a 2000KV or higher. My 2100KV is noticeably slower than my 2560KV.
    Haha 1700 slow that's halarious

Sent from my iPhone using My Thumbs
    6S OR NOTHING............................ maybe 5s

RC Racer
    I just checked the RC Speed Calculator. On stock gearing and Trenchers, I calculated 20.35MPH for a 1700KV motor and 28.7MPH on a 2400KV motor... Stock the Summit goes 22MPH? Spurs are $3 and pinions are $5, so I'd recommend gearing up to like 18/62. With that gearing, your lookin at 28.69MPH for a 1700KV, and 40.51MPH on a 2400KV. So, a 1700KV would be pointless considering the stock motor/speed controller is faster and waterproof.

Are you thinking of going brushless to go faster?

RC Qualifier
    18/62 is way to high and with lower kv means more torque for more gearing and a 1700 is way more efficient. It will run cooler and longer run times. This motor is designed to be in truggies that need to run long mains and have gobs of power I run a t8 1900 and it blows the doors off my castle 2200 and is smoother and runs cooler. 1700 is perfect buy it don't go with a 2650 plz that's just silly to recommend that

Last edited by mydudrevo; 09-02-2013 at 08:25 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mydudrevo View Post
    18/62 is way to high and with lower kv means more torque for more gearing and a 1700 is way more efficient. It will run cooler and longer run times. This motor is designed to be in truggies that need to run long mains and have gobs of power I run a t8 1900 and it blows the doors off my castle 2200 and is smoother and runs cooler. 1700 is perfect buy it don't go with a 2650 plz that's just silly to recommend that

It sounds like you are saying a lower KV is faster....

RC Qualifier
    I'm more in the crawling than speed for this truck. I have a slash4x4 for speed.

Envoyé depuis mon Z10 avec Tapatalk

RC Qualifier
    No I'm saying you can hear it to run at a reasonable speed and run cooler unless you are looking to set land speed records I think 40 is plenty fast. The higher kv setups run hotter and eat up battery and its pretty pointless IMO.

RC Qualifier
    It sounds like you are saying a lower KV is faster....
    You don't hit the track much I'm guessing

RC Racer
    We are speaking generally. Let's be specific. boili56, How fast do you want to go? 25MPH? 30MPH?
    Last edited by Deviate; 09-02-2013 at 08:53 PM.

RC Racer
    You don't hit the track much I'm guessing

The track? No, Summits aren't really allowed on the track.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    I'm more in the crawling than speed for this truck. I have a slash4x4 for speed.

If you're more into crawling, then you wont need a brushless setup. The stock works well, but If you want more torque, you may want to get a Dewalt motor. With the money you would have spent on a brushless combo could do a Dewalt upgrade, a steering servo upgrade, and still have money left over.
    Last edited by Deviate; 09-02-2013 at 09:04 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Crawling, trailling, mudding, and that kind of stuff. I want alot of torque and power. I was not impressed with the brushed motor in a mudpit.

RC Racer
    Crawling, trailling, mudding, and that kind of stuff. I want alot of torque and power. I was not impressed with the brushed motor in a mudpit.

Oh, then you definitely want a Dewalt and a stonger servo.

RC Racer

RC Qualifier
    Well, last night was a night of décisions! After watching tons n' tons of reviews ans videos on the subject, i decided to go brushless with a tekin rx8/t8 1550kv for the summit, ans i also got a mmp sct 2400kv for my slash, and the slash electronic might goe in my other merv built. i didn't like how the brushed motor react in the mud, so if the dewail setup is also a brusehd one, i might get results like the stock one.... Iguess!

And thanks for your inputs, the were very usefull!

RC Racer
    You're welcome! As for the Dewalt motor, although it is brushed, it does have way more torque than the Titan 775. It has the torque for mud pits. Are you running the stock double yellow springs in the rear? The rear of the truck squats a lot less with double orange springs in the rear. Squatting in the mud will bottom out and drag the chassis in the mud, which can get you stuck. It bogs through mud better with just the tires are in the mud. Are you going to upgrade the tires? The stock Canyon AT tires are great for crawling but there are better tires for mud.

RC poster
    you are insane to recommend that 1700motor for traxxas summit. may as well stay stock. Deviate is correct

RC Qualifier
    Can you tell me why this is insane? please.

RC Racer
    Can you tell me why this is insane? please.

Because the stock motor is faster. You would literally have less top speed than stock.

18/62 is way to high and with lower kv means more torque for more gearing...

Stock gearing with a 1700KV motor is 20 MPH. Why spend hundred of dollars, go slower, lose being waterproof, and gain nothing. More gearing options? You'd have to gear to the moon. 18/62, which he says is way too high, is only 6MPH faster...

Waterproof Dewalt kit... $60

Stock gearing with a 1700KV motor is 20 MPH. Why spend hundred of dollars, go slower, lose being waterproof, and gain nothing. More gearing options? You'd have to gear to the moon. 18/62, which he says is way too high, is only 6MPH faster...

Waterproof Dewalt kit... $60
    I suppose some o f you are limiting your thinking to 4S total. The RX8 & T8 combo can handle 6S. If the OP ran 6S most of the objections to a 1700kv motor would be resolved.
    Some don't need to bash their Summits. I am one of those. Your "gain nothing" comment is not accurate. The simple fact that a brushless motor has much less (like zero) maintenance is a huge plus. Add the programmability of the Tekin ESC, including being able to program a drag brake, and you may see that this motor system is not a zero gain. As for being waterproof, the only water my trucks ever see is by accident, like when my ERBE cartwheeled 40 feet into a large stream. The rest of the truck, like rocker posts, bearings and screws, are not waterproof. De-rusting and draining water from tires is not my idea of a fun time.
    So what would you end up with? A truck powered by a premium sensored brushless system that does exactly what the OP wishes it to do, and does it better than a stock system or a Dewalt-modified system.
    Alt-241 on the number pad = ±

RC Racer
    How does a Tekin crawl better than a Dewalt? His Tekin auction is $280, Dewalt kit is $60 The Tekin crawls $220 better?

How does a Tekin crawl better than a Dewalt? His Tekin auction is $280, Dewalt kit is $60 The Tekin crawls $220 better?
    Answered above. If you do not think a programmable drag brake makes a crawling experience better, then you have not crawled.
    Different people place different values on the same thing. I suggest you deviate from your requirement that everyone think the same as you.

I think the stock motor was well-matched to the Summit. My current personal choice for a Summit motor system factoring in cost and capabity is a 396505-21SV. There is at the moment a Tekin T8-powered (2000kv or 2250kv) Summit alongside my own because I frequently drive with its owner and I am doing a little work on it.
    Let's try to keep our minds open here. Relate experiences and make recommendations, but do not project our own requirements onto others.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That is a subjective question and ultimately a personal decision.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Answered above. If you do not think a programmable drag brake makes a crawling experience better, then you have not crawled.
    Different people place different values on the same thing. I suggest you deviate from your requirement that everyone think the same as you.

I think the stock motor was well-matched to the Summit. My current personal choice for a Summit motor system factoring in cost and capabity is a 396505-21SV. There is at the moment a Tekin T8-powered (2000kv or 2250kv) Summit alongside my own because I frequently drive with its owner and I am doing a little work on it.
    Let's try to keep our minds open here. Relate experiences and make recommendations, but do not project our own requirements onto others.
    I know what a drag brake is. It applies the brakes at neutral so you don't have to feather it. It doesn't take that much feathering to hold your position with a brushed motor. They have more friction than brushless motors. Enjoy your $220 drag brake LOL

Those who exist solely to argue will not last long here.

What about those of us who have and use both set ups?Am I foolish? That is a distinct possibility.The brushless provides more power than I have common sense unfortunatly.lol So I run dewalt EVX 2 90% of the time.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    What about those of us who have and use both set ups?Am I foolish? That is a distinct possibility.The brushless provides more power than I have common sense unfortunatly.lol So I run dewalt EVX 2 90% of the time.

Sent using lipo power

+1 Great power system!

RC Qualifier
    Hey guys, my intensions are not to start a "dewalt vs brushless" war here, i only want to get advises and comments on the combo... the way i spend my money is my choice, and i choose the brushless way... so now, what are the good things, and the bad things about the combo... i plan on running this beast on 4s and 6s. Speed doesn't matter for this truck.

thanks!

RC Champion
    You go for it boilo56. I myself have a cheap 1800kv/150amp sensored hobbywing i'm thinking of throwing in my summit. I had it in at one time (just tested), but went back to brushed. My idea is to go e-revo style body/wing, lower suspension for a while. It will relieve my wanting another brushless e-revo. That's just me. peace
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Champion
    As long as your not running in water you will enjoy the Tekin. Much more programability and still crawls better than stock. Longer run times, speed when you need it , and with the Gen 2 tekin you can program it to run larger 7.0 volt servos.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC poster
    I've been running a Tekin rx8 2250 (self waterproof) for about 6 months now. I haven't had any issues with it in my summit. Great crawler and basher with nice speed(33mph). Haven't busted any Difs, or drive shafts few axels. Over all great BL system.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I suppose some o f you are limiting your thinking to 4S total. The RX8 & T8 combo can handle 6S. If the OP ran 6S most of the objections to a 1700kv motor would be resolved.
    Some don't need to bash their Summits. I am one of those. Your "gain nothing" comment is not accurate. The simple fact that a brushless motor has much less (like zero) .
    Tekin does not recommend that you continuously run 6 s in your rx8 ESC.

Tekin in my Summit, will it do well?

Quote Originally Posted by Toksta View Post
    Tekin does not recommend that you continuously run 6 s in your rx8 ESC.
    I don't think you stated that accurately or at least not completely, but thank you for the heads-up. Let me give it a try:
    According to the RX8 Gen2 manual, the T8 1700 motor is recommended for use with the RX8 on 5S. There are motors recommended for 6S, but those aren't really in this discussion so I think we can ignore those.
    That said, use in the Summit is not likely what TeamTekin envisioned. I'm not certain what that means WRT the quoted recommendation. If you have any special knowledge regarding this, please share.

RC Qualifier
    I upgraded to dewalt. Then to the 2250 Tekin. Yes, I like it $220 better.

FWIW:
    I just checked the RC Speed Calculator. On stock gearing and Trenchers, I calculated 20.35MPH for a 1700KV motor and 28.7MPH on a 2400KV motor... Stock the Summit goes 22MPH? Spurs are $3 and pinions are $5, so I'd recommend gearing up to like 18/62. With that gearing, your lookin at 28.69MPH for a 1700KV, and 40.51MPH on a 2400KV. So, a 1700KV would be pointless considering the stock motor/speed controller is faster and waterproof.

Are you thinking of going brushless to go faster?
    On stock gearing and Trencher Xs, I calculate 21.86 MPH for [that] 1700KV motor
    On stock gearing and Trenchers, I calculate 23.17 MPH for [that] 1700KV motor

On 18/62 gearing and Trencher Xs, I calculate 30.82 MPH for [that] 1700KV motor
    On 18/62 gearing and Trenchers, I calculate 32.67 MPH for [that] 1700KV motor

As for 18/62 being too high gearing, I've run 21/62 in my ERBE (2200kv) for a long, long time with HPI Terrapins as my tire of choice. This is actually a pretty mild setup so far as E-Revos go. The tires are 6.69" in diameter, which is just about exactly in the middle of Trencher and Trencher X tires. On 4S heat is not an issue. Why then would 18/62 with a 1700kv motor be too high?

RC Qualifier
    Well, last night was a night of décisions! After watching tons n' tons of reviews ans videos on the subject, i decided to go brushless with a tekin rx8/t8 1550kv for the summit, ans i also got a mmp sct 2400kv for my slash, and the slash electronic might goe in my other merv built. i didn't like how the brushed motor react in the mud, so if the dewail setup is also a brusehd one, i might get results like the stock one.... Iguess!

And thanks for your inputs, the were very usefull!
    I think he decided to go with a 1550kv. Plan on pulling a Volkswagen?