RC poster

As my name says I'm a noob

Well just got a rustler today it's my first RC in the hobby. Needed something to do that wouldn't break me a week Everyone I spoke to says I should of gone electric first. Well I'm not one to listen very well unless it's has to do with actual maintenance. Broke the engine about 3 hours ago and I love this car couldn't be happier. Already I'm looking replacement turnbuckles that will shave weight any suggestions on possible replacements are welcome as are any other suggestions. On a side note, I'm using my phone to post so can't figure out how to add a picture. Well send your suggestions if you have any.
    Last edited by Double G; 09-30-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: alcohol reference

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the hobby! First off... did you get a VXL Rustler or the brushed model? The VXL comes with nice turnbuckles installed already. Also, where do you run your truck? Street or off-road?

RC poster

Thanks for the welcome, and I got the Nitro so still not used to the terminology.

I want to find a nice off road course here in Amarillo tx

RC Enthusiast
    I tell everyone I come across to go electric. Its cheaper in the long run and the engines dont cost as much, especially if your using brushed engines. But even now you could find a replacement brushless velineon for 80 bucks online. and brushless is faster in my opinion.

Overall though. Welcome to the awesomeness of RC cars. My first was a Traxxas Mustang Boss 302. I just got the Rustler a few days ago. Im not dissapointed. Find a nice offroad track and have fun.

I would probably change out the A Arms, Caster Blocks, and a good set of shocks for improved handling and bump absorption . Buddy of mine had one and those went quick. Course he was using a 3 cell lipo so the excess speed killed it.

RC poster
    Any suggestions on brand for those part suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RC Qualifier
    Sorry I read your post wrong. I thought you had an electric.

RC poster
    It's cool

RC Enthusiast
    Im using traxxas big bores in my slash and they work great. Ive heard RPM A-Arms are awesome. and if you could find aluminum caster blocks they would work excellent. from my knowledge avoid integy aluminum parts.

RC poster
    I'll start looking for those thanks man

RC Enthusiast
    I have all the rpm parts I can get for mine. I routinely broke rear shock towers with just normal driving on a local bike track here. I have taken huge jumps with the rpm parts and they haven't let me down yet. All I can say is do your after run maintenance religiously and that engine should last a long time. Don't buy the rpm rod ends. They don't fit nitro rustlers.