RC Champion

How to get Recoil Spring In?

I just picked up a very nice nitro stampede for cheap. The only problem is the recoil spring is out. Is there any tricks to winding it up and getting it back in?

I cant seem to get it and need it fixed asap.
    Land of the free?

Are you talking about the Pull Start String? if so its harder than you think you kinda need 2 people maybe wife, daughter, son can help one needs to hold the spring from moving while the other pushes the string through and ties it off so it wont go back in again but holding the spring tightly pressed in the casing once that is done then the person holding the spring needs to carefully hold the spring in place or use a thin file to hold it in place and put the other side of the case on once you get the case on hold tight and try to pull the string out slowly until its half way out but holding the 2 cases tightly and if it works then put the screws in place tightly if not redo again and see whats wrong.
    This is assuming your talking about the pull starter this happened to me on my 2.5R when i first installed my brand new pull starter the knot was not tight and came undone (guess factory didnt take time to do right). took about 30mins to do working with my wife after i failed for over 2 hrs and many many try's.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

Whenever this has happened to me I just replace the pull start. I'm not patient enough to go through the hassle that mike did. Part 4070 is a new recoil starter for the Pro. 15 and retails for $18.00.

RC Champion
    OMG. Re coiling that sucker brings back bad memories ! Absolutely toss it and buy couple spares. Or switch to EZ start or Sullivan Tiger Drive with roto start. Gawd that was truly aweful experience...I could get it 99% coiled then it would burst open under tension.... My original Pede has no motor anymore and price of replacement approaches buying new rtr
    3905 E-MAXX

Quote Originally Posted by BT_EMT View Post
    My original Pede has no motor anymore and price of replacement approaches buying new rtr
    Is it missing a bunch of other stuff or in really bad shape? I did a few quick searches online and a Pro .15 seems to go for around $90 - $100. Looks like an RTR is in the $300 range. Planning on the clutch, flywheel, clutch bell, etc. you should be able to come out ahead with some TLC.

If you can come up with any sort of destroyed Traxxas engine (Pro .15, 2.5, 3.3) you can trade it in for the ERP which will cost $70 for a brand new Pro .15. Some local shops offer this, otherwise you can send it in to Traxxas.

RC Qualifier
    The first time I tried to replace the cord in a pull start was the three most frustrating hours of my life, mainly because I let the spring come out. The second time the spring broke at the spool and I almost didn't try. Patience and perseverance prevailed, soon after starting I realized what I was doing wrong the first time and was able to get it reassembled properly in about thirty minutes. Now that I've done it ten times I can put a cord back in, in about five minutes if the spring isn't sprung and ten if it is. Even though it has become fairly easy for me, I can't quite find the words to explain exactly what I'm doing. I would be happy to show anyone that lives in my area, but that's about the best I can do.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by TireSlinger View Post
    Is it missing a bunch of other stuff or in really bad shape? I did a few quick searches online and a Pro .15 seems to go for around $90 - $100. Looks like an RTR is in the $300 range. Planning on the clutch, flywheel, clutch bell, etc. you should be able to come out ahead with some TLC.

If you can come up with any sort of destroyed Traxxas engine (Pro .15, 2.5, 3.3) you can trade it in for the ERP which will cost $70 for a brand new Pro .15. Some local shops offer this, otherwise you can send it in to Traxxas.
    No it's complete with MIP purple Stinger Pipe and matching shock tower. I was pricing what it would cost to get into the EZ Start system, which requires the motor mount upgrade, then the EZ Start kit, and the new motor. That's where it was approaching the price of a new entry level nitro. Too bad there isn't a conversion kit to electric !

My "destroyed" TRX .12 motor is a pile of disassembled metal.... I do miss that gnarly nitro smell and thrill of just getting the darn thing to run ! I was doing it back before "the internet" LOL and all this great support. Hmm I noticed Kershaw was coming out with T-Maxx and E-Revo BL Conversion kits.... running behind ... July was last date posted. Maybe I can swing trading up EVX2 + Titans for the Pro .15...
    Last edited by BT_EMT; 10-20-2013 at 08:03 AM.
    3905 E-MAXX