RC Competitor

Question Cooling Solutions (Heatsink/Fan)

Hi mates,

I'm sure this question was asked before but need advice as to best cooling solution for our 1717 big block motor? I found thread to pointed to rcxtrememods who sold sink and fan on eBay but he doesn't have any current listings.

Running 22/46, get up to about 155F and would like to bring that down closer to about 140F.

If you have easy solution in mind for this bloke let me know.

Cheers!

RC Champion
    You can fit the castle blower designed for the 2200kv motor on it. You have to cut it down though and it's not a heat sink but does help some.
    Jeremy

RC Competitor
    Thanks mate, I was hoping for proper heat sink w decent fan but if that's all there is then so be it.

Cheers

RC Champion
    I've searched around the net but haven't found anything else.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Large batch of heat sink and fan should be here in a few days

RC Qualifier

RC Qualifier
    I've seen people get a large computer fan say 100mm x 100mm and mount it over the top of both the ESC and the motor, am planning to do this myself on my summit. Looks like it would work well
    Slugs are just naturally aspirated snails

RC Qualifier
    I use two server fans with dedicated lipo... No temp problems...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post
    The problem I see with that is it's belt driven off of the motor. I think that would create unwanted drag and reduce rpm capability.
    Jeremy

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by T4KT1KZ View Post

I can't decide if that is just too silly, or is it super cool? lol Has anyone here ever tried it? I love the way it gives the look of a real scoop on a real engine, and if you could incorporate this design to stick out of the body--that would be awesome!

Being belt driven, it doesn't work at 0 rpm, but has no battery draw and the resistance on the motor is totally negligible

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    I can't decide if that is just too silly, or is it super cool? lol Has anyone here ever tried it? I love the way it gives the look of a real scoop on a real engine, and if you...
    Hahha yea I know what your saying lol. Check out all the running videos though they give you temperature values running with and without the blower should give you an idea of what to expect any way.. Personally I don't own it as it won't fit the smaller 550 can size motors.. I love how its belt driven considering the most commonly used cooling solution was designed for a computer and not for bashing in the mud and water.. Personally I'm sick of spending money on fans that inevitably just burn up anyway..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by T4KT1KZ; 09-06-2013 at 03:02 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Don't like the fact that he says its for all Traxxas products, and the features again say all Traxxas---but at the bottom, not the Stampede or Slash! If it works, it would be nice if they designed one for the Slash

RC Qualifier
    Don't like the fact that he says its for all Traxxas products, and the features again say all Traxxas---but at the bottom, not the Stampede or Slash! If it works, it would be nice if they designed one for the Slash
    I 100% agree with you. Its such a giant part of the RC market it makes no sense not to...I actually sent an email to them through their contact us section on their website asking about it and got no response lol.... maybe has a lot to do with the motor placement and the mounting system..

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    It is kinda of a false advertising statement, but the Slash and Stampede are mounted at the back of the rigs. Plus the way the motor is mounted to the tranny with the housing being in the way to be able to mount it. I don't see why it wouldnt work for he P4de and Sl4sh though, just that the motor is mounted from the rear facing forward, same as the XO-1. Now the ERBE and EMBE the motor is mouted from the front facing back with the tranny in front of it.

As powerfull as the 1717, 1512, 1515, 1415, and possibly the 1410 I dont see that belt putting to much of a strain on the motor. The only way you could tell is run it w/o the fan first and check temps then do the same thing again with it mounted up.

@ h8
    I find a heatsink with a fan or two used on it for cooling working the best, as it will dissipate heat much better. Or running a huge PC fan mounted above the motor works really well to as it will move more air over a larger area. This is probably the cheapest plauseable solution too. LOL Plus for a street car fans will last way longer than a bashing rig that takes jumps and rough terrain.

If you do decide to go with the blower i'd like to know how well it works for ya. If it drops temps enough for the worth of it. Let us know if you do that.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by FartOfDoom View Post
    Large batch of heat sink and fan should be here in a few days
    Please clear your PMs. Your box is full
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC Racer
    LOL sorry about that Bill. Inbox cleared

RC Racer
    Got the heat sink/fan installed tonight. I need to neaten up the wires some but still. I relocated the temp sensor to the end of the can and had to take just a little off a corner of the heat sink. Plus a good portion of the HS right in front of the duct. This thing should keep the XO way cool. Thank You FOD

Last edited by Flyextreme; 09-09-2013 at 01:41 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looks great home is the temp sensor attached? I need to move mine cause its under the heatsink

RC poster
    Looking to do the same mod. Whatis the H/S you used and did you find it helps much???

RC Enthusiast
    fartofdoom for the win on that heatsink.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by paulfromtulsa View Post
    Looks great home is the temp sensor attached? I need to move mine cause its under the heatsink
    It's simply wrapped around the motor and cinched tight with a piece of tubing that lays in the groove of motor fins. I removed my motor so I could see what was what and test fit everything to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by solidkonng View Post
    Looking to do the same mod. Whatis the H/S you used and did you find it helps much???
    It's one of the ones that FartOfDoom mentioned earlier in post #5. Maybe shoot him a PM. I haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I don't see how this unit can not make a big difference in cooling....it's very large. I'm betting it will be very effective.