RC Racer

Water break in on 12t

After killing 4 12T motors over the past few weeks I was wondering if I should do the water break in method.

My LHS told me he does not like it because the water break in is more for racers. He said that if not done correctly the motor will rust out and be destroyed. He suggested taking the motor and with fans blow the motor and ESC and run it on a medium speed for 5 minutes forward and 5 minutes back and thats it.

He also said he does not like to spray motor spray in the holes in the motors because the oil spray gets on the electric contacts and can cause arching.

My feeling is that being that I killed a few motors maybe it is time to do the water break in. If I do that. Let me get the prcedure right.

I read the following

Hook up motor to ESC. Turn steering trim all the way up so the motor is spinning. Pop it in water and run until the battery is depleted.

Do I do this in reverse too?

Also when complete- Dry motor with compressed air. Spray down with Oil spray. And good to go.

RC Competitor
    Or you can hook the motor up to a battery, put just the motor in a cup full of distiller water and let it go until the battery is dead.

Please, know what your doing if you do the water break in! Here is what Jimmie Nuetron said about the matter:

"Water break in will not make the motor last longer... and is specifically why Traxxas advises against it. The water break in excels wear and why it is recommended for racing and more power as it will seat the brushes quicker. Just taking it easy the first few packs will allow the brushes to slowly conform to the commutator and give reasonable results... as long as you clean out the motor after ever few runs at first."

The water break in WILL shorten your motor life. If you're ok with that, then go for it. Just don't expect it to last forever.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

After killing 4 12T motors over the past few weeks
    At $20 each with the next one you could have acquired a castle 3800kv with a side-winder esc, more power, and with common sense maintenance a enduring motor.
    Unless your running a stock class requiring said motor.
    Just a thought.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    At $20 each with the next one you could have acquired a castle 3800kv with a side-winder esc, more power, and with common sense maintenance a enduring motor.
    Unless your running a stock class requiring said motor.
    Just a thought.
    Is this set up waterproof? ^^^

RC Qualifier
    no its not but your titan 12t or the vxl really isnt either this one says it is but i don't believe it
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDAVL&P=0

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaine View Post
    Is this set up waterproof? ^^^
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Competitor
    All dc brushed motors are waterproof by nature and design. With a good cleaning and oiling after, it will be ok. It's the dirty muddy water that gets it messed up.

RC Qualifier
    Again Johnny answers and WHAMMMMMMMMMMMM answered wrong because he never read the real question

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny13334 View Post
    All dc brushed motors are waterproof by nature and design. With a good cleaning and oiling after, it will be ok. It's the dirty muddy water that gets it messed up.
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Racer
    I personally like the water break in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny13334 View Post
    No they most certainly arent, by nature or any other way.
    Many will tolerate water but their not by definition water proof, dirty water is indeed worse then clean, but will have a negative long term affect.
    The water break in, while producing a faster motor, cuts the brush life down dramatically.
    Definition of WATERPROOF
    : impervious to water; especially : covered or treated with a material (as a solution of rubber) to prevent permeation by water
    Water is going to have an unfavorable effect on a electric motor, while this may not show it self immediately, water will shorten its life.
    This is a indisputable truth.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 09-02-2013 at 08:12 PM.

RC Racer
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    I decided not to do the water break in. Instead I hooked up the batter to the ESC, turned the trim up and let the motor run until the battery ran out. Then did about 10 min in reverse. Lastly I blew it out and oiled it. Hopefully I will be good to go.
    For long term this is by far imo the best way, and is near the manufactures recommendations.
    I hope you have better luck this time.
    My grandson runs a titan in the youth stock class, at first he was cooking them posthaste.
    After changing from the water break in to a method quite similar to yours, he has run the same motor in a merciless fashion for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by benalexe View Post
    That should work well. I have used that method before (minus the reverse part) a few times over the years. It's certainly better than the water break in process that, as mentioned above, is not recommended by Traxxas.

Enjoy!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle