RC Qualifier

Looking into a spartan.....

So i got into rc about a year ago and since then it has become an addiction, so now to feul my habit im looking into the marine field, as you can tell from my signature ive got a few cars lol, so i guess my question is i suppose cars have drive shafts and stuff that can break but what is therr on a spartan that breaks alot if there is anything, also what is the benfit to these boats over other models and what is out there for upgrades, as well as is 6s a good idea right out of the box?!?! Thanks guys
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Qualifier
    There isn't much for moving parts on boats but the electronics burn up more often. Boats put incredible loads on electronics. I've also broken 2 prop shafts now in the past 10 runs but that's not normal. And 6s is really pushing it on stock electronics. 4 and 5s is much safer.

RC Qualifier
    Just smoked my esc on 6s

RC Qualifier
    Yea socalirevo i read bout that so i will prob be running nimhs till i get used to it but it seems like everybody runs lipo so ill prob stay between 4s-5s so i dont severly mess anything up, but as far as maintanience are these as demadinding as a erevo as far as to replace one part the whole truck needs to come apart or are they fairly simple? And where is the best place to buy one, they are 799$ at my LHS so im definatly not buying theirs but i see them for 600$ online, so where did u guys get yours? Thanks as always

RC Qualifier
    I spent 800 on mine because I had to have it for that weekend. As for ease of working on... there's not too much to do. The prop shaft comes out with a few tuns of the wrench and that's all you really ever have to do to them.

RC Qualifier
    Locatedgecko7
    The Spartan is not that complicated, If you want to run it on 6S you need some upgrades, but if you stick in the stock electronics, you can safely upgrade to 7.4v or 2s LIPO. The nimh batt. will eat it for around 5-6 runs for sure.
    Anyway $600 for the second version Spartan is too much, my HS here sells it for $520 tax in, for the third version 5707L which is just the difference is the Xmiter & 3s LIPO cost $560 (well I don't argue with the prices, it's a hobby you know, price doesn't matter! As long as you happy with it LOL!)
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    What do you mean by eat the nimhs?

RC Qualifier
    Eat means, destroy your NIMH soon, you will see some puffing one or more of the cells. Especially when you keep on pushing it harder. Because of the amp needed for the ESC, Traxxas doesn't deal with this matter, since we've been arguing on those previous forums before, that's why Traxxas put the LIPO batteries on the 5707L now but if you are a first timer on the spartan it would be too much!
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.

RC Qualifier
    Well i figured out i can buy one from tower hobbies for 472.68$ so is this a good deal, what did you guys get your for, this comes with 3s lipo and charger so is it worth it??

RC Qualifier
    Just saw one sell on craigslist for 250 with 2 3s lipos. I wasnt quick enough