Thread: Gravel

RC poster

Gravel

Hey guys, I'm new on here, I will be making a build thread in the next hours, as I am waiting for parts to arrive in the next hour.

I was just wondering if any of you guys had this problem before.

I drive alot on a gravel surface in my driveway and road. On an average of every 3-5 min, rocks get stuck in my front or rear wheels, causing a spinout or just donuts on the spot with a wheel stuck. I then have to forward/reverse a few times and the rocks get unstuck, and everything is fine.

Has anyone figured a way to prevent this or is it a thing we have to live with?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    Welcome!

In all the hours I have RC'ing with my MERV I have only had that happen 1 time...
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Champion
    I have had that happen four or five time, usually in thicker gravel, but I have not yet found a solution to it, but it really does not happen enough to bug me.
    With great brushless comes great responsibility.

RC Qualifier
    I had the same problem with the stock Gemini wheels, due to the spoke design.
    Either dished wheels (Traxxas makes some the MERV, or HPI) or try wheels with very few spokes, like RPM Clawz or HPI SS MT. That worked for me.

RC Qualifier
    Gravel will always cause issues getting stuck....and melting your centre drive shafts.
    Can't you run on grass ? A lot kinder to the truck

RC Qualifier
    I have had MAJOR problems with gravel getting inside the center drive shaft compartment also, once it lathed my drive shaft in half and another time it turned it down till it looked like a bad beginning wood shop lathe project - Ha! The fix was cutting a thin strip of Scotchbrite pad to wedge between the motor and receiver box to keep it from entering through the hole near the trans. Also at the rear of the center skid plate.
    Now, I try to stay away from that area but it's a great place for some high speed passes so I am always tempted.....
    Never had it lodged in the wheels thorough, this gravel is pretty small
    There are lots of ways to do that. Most are wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I put a piece of foam between the center skidplate and the transmission gearbox.
    +
    For the top a piece of thin plastic glued over the hole:

Could help.

RC Qualifier
    What's the point of that port hole anyway? I know it gives you access to the DS set screw but you still have to pull the rear skid plate to get to the one on the other end

RC Qualifier
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...
    I'd agree, dish wheels are probably the best solution.
    Drive. Crash. Fix. Repeat.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CMD-J View Post
    I put a piece of foam between the center skidplate and the transmission gearbox.
    +
    For the top a piece of thin plastic glued over the hole:

Could help.
    I am using foam and silicone to seal the gaps - check out photos @ post #5 in this thread:
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...=1#post5512533

Quote Originally Posted by zach23 View Post
    GEARBOX

Sticking-out shaft with a hole for slipper clutch adjustments I used something like this and glued
    It directly to the gearbox with liquid gasket. Nice that it is transparent

Front and rear driveshaft outputs just as previously I've done with sponge:

Now mounting to the chassis this is the outcome

Bottom side

Top side

And we are left with the cover liquid gasket again! I used small amount on all edges that have contact
    with the gearbox and also bottom side to fill the gap on the chassis connection.

After mounting

And view from other angle

RC Qualifier
    why is the gear cover sealed?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by photon_trap View Post
    why is the gear cover sealed?
    Apart from bigger debris, my main concern was very fine dust. Eventually it will find it's way to get to the pinion/spur compartment, but flexible silicone does a great job and seals this part well. I made also a special cone for the clutch adjuster to save the bearing and the gears inside the gearbox. It's easy to remove and mount back into place.

Experiment with foam! This a great material to use for protection. Easy to form with a hobby knife, cheap and available at every kitchen If worn or dirty in few minute you can have a fresh replacement. And the parts it can protect are worth a little time and "engineering".

RC Qualifier
    Oh ok. I'm not really worried about dust, it won't hurt anything. Trying to stop that is like trying to keep water out of a boat.
    I rarely even run the gear cover unless I'm going to the gravel pit

what about the big stupid hole in the gear cover for telemetry? that i wont ever equip on my mini revo...... grrrrrrrr the old one is no longer made

RC Qualifier
    For a rock to be a threat to a drive shaft's life it has to be a certain size that can wedge between the chassis and shaft. I concentrated on holes that size or larger and it seems to have work as long as I have my protection in place. I may seal off the rear hole similar to what zach23 did. I have some thin annealed aluminum at work that can be formed to contours pretty easily if needed. Having steel CV shafts helps but those stupid O-rings fell victim once before I went to shrink tube - no problem since. The front hole just goes through since there's nothing to hold an offending nugget while it chews on the shaft.

RC poster
    From what I noticed, it mainly happens between wheels and axle carriers/a-arms. My recent (actually my gf's) situation won't allow me to get new wheels for the moment. I'll drive on pavement and grass for now