RC Racer

Traxxas High Current connector TRUE Amp rating? - And EC5

If Traxxas would only officially drop amp rating specs of the Traxxas High Current connectors. Both continuous AND max burst/peak rates.

Spartan fitted with a Castle Hydra ICE 240 and Neu-Castle 1515/1Y 2200 KV motor.
    Octura M445 balanced/sharpened prop, 4S LiPo.

All of my LiPo packs have Traxxas High Current connectors (as I have several Traxxas trucks), but because of the boat with the above setup, I had to switch to something that could sustain higher currents.
    One major solder session later I have everything fitted with EC5 connectors, being capable of a continuous amp draw of about 120A, with bursts quite a bit higher.

After a few 4S runs, the Hydra ICE's data log show me an average Amp flow of 75A, with peaks (coming from accelerating and full speed turns) of 170A.
    EC5 plugs are holding up pretty fine, although they are pretty warm (wires too) after the run. WARM, not hot, so for now my conclusion is that the EC5 connectors are holding up fine.

But of course my question is... did I really HAD to change my Traxxas plugs to EC5?
    Wouldn't the Traxxas High Current connectors be capable of doing the same thing at 75A continous and 170A bursts?

By the way: No, I don't want to switch to 5.5 or 6 mm bullets. They are very hard to plug and unplug (extremely snug fit) and I want to keep the convenience of a connector.
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RCblog.nl - Summit*ERBE*Sl4sh

RC Champion
    I switched to 5.5 bullets and love them, much cooler wires, including motor to esc wires, shrinked them RED and BLACK, no issues
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I was considering switching to Deans. Any reason you picked EC5?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    I was considering switching to Deans. Any reason you picked EC5?
    People do not recommended me to keep using the Traxxas connectors with my setup, because of the risk of them getting too hot and melting the black connector.
    EC5 are rated for 120A continuous with bursts quite a bit higher, so I thought it would be good for what I am running. They seem to hold up fine. I wanted to stay with a connector type plug, because of the convenience. 5.5 or 6 mm bullets are very hard to plug and unplug, especially when you want to do it fast.

But given the amp load as reported by the data logger (75A continuous and 170A peak), I actually would like to know if the original Traxxas High Current connectors would be capable of handling that.
    As in: did I swap everything over to EC5 for nothing, or not?
    Greetz, JEREMY.

RCblog.nl - Summit*ERBE*Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    I love my EC5 connectors. I was having a problem with the Traxxas connectors coming unsoldered. The EC5 are full soldered around the wire and they plug together very nicely.

RC Qualifier
    I have run on 6S with no problems with the connectors. They do get a little warm but nothing more than that.

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC Qualifier
    I used to run Deans Ultra plugs almost exclusively, until the Spartan.

Deans are great plugs but are rated somewhere between 60-75 amps continuous (depending on what website you read) so they are under sized for the power hungry Spartan.

I went with EC5 connectors and they are working fine.

There used to a couple reasonably good sites that showed the various RC electrical connectors and provided tested AMP ratings for each type. I wasn't able to find them when I searched a few minutes ago, so can't post a link at this time.

I was never able to find an "official" tested amp rating on Traxxas connectors, but I commonly see them listed with a "suggested" rating of 100 amps continuous.

I think in most cases the Traxxas plugs will work fine on stock setups to 6S.

There have been a few reports here of the stock connectors running hot, and sometimes coming un-soldered, but these reported failures have not been common here.

hog