Thread: First time lipo

RC Qualifier

Question First time lipo

Taking it to the next level of battery packs. I just bought a Traxxas 2s 4000mah lipo and I'm expected it to arrive on Friday so little nervous when I get it. I will be using it for my Slash VXL 2wd. So many questions to asks, but feel free to throw in suggestions in advance.

First off I got an EZ-Plus 6 amps charger and I know I have to charge it at 4 amps, but I read in the manual that its common for batteries to accept more capacity. I done that with nimh batteries though is it safe to do that to lipo batteries? I got the capacity cut off set at an extra 200mah so the cut off is 4200. I have the optional temp sensor as well and I read the directions for it that the temp cut off need to be lower than the recommended number for lipo.

Next if I'm not using the lipo for a day or when it need to be recharge after I use it should I always put the battery in storage charge and how long do I need to recharge it for continuous storage. Also should I always store it away from other batteries especially other lipos and do I have put it in a special place other than putting it in a cool and dry place? Will only be using nimh for wet conditions unless there is a way to make lipo water resistance, but I may just play it safe and stick with nimh for those conditions and I never submerge any of my rcs.

That is all I can think of for now. Thanks.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
    Here you go read through the first 10 then about on the right side Safe lipo prep for disposal good info to know since you are in lipos now.
    Any battery i dont recommend getting wet if you are going to use a battery either Nimh, nicd, lipo, life, lion, etc. use a ballon and seal it atleast or comparable like a outerwears cover.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mike-susieq1 View Post
    https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...arging-how-tos
    Here you go read through the first 10 then about on the right side Safe lipo prep for disposal good info to know since you are in lipos now.
    Any battery i dont recommend getting wet if you are going to use a battery either Nimh, nicd, lipo, life, lion, etc. use a ballon and seal it atleast or comparable like a outerwears cover.
    That's some great info, answered most of my questions and learned some more stuff about handling lipo. Thank you.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Just got it today, but done some more lipo reading on the forums and ordered a Traxxas Lipo bag so going to wait before I chare it.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC poster
    I'm back in the game after several years, the last trucks I purchased were the first rustler rtr.. Now we have 3 2wd slash, 2 brushed for my boys and a brushless for myself and had the same questions about going to lipo... Good info. Thanks

RC Qualifier
    Got the bag today and a lot bigger than I thought it was. I might charge the battery tomorrow. I have foam pads in my Slash's battery compartment at the ends so my batteries won't rub against plastic, but should I add some at the sides as well as the hold down itself?
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    Test my first lipo run with my Slash and its was fun. I took precautions when charging it and I balance charge it. I had an empty trash can nearby and the room the battery was charged has a door that goes outside my basement. I wasn't too far from it ether as I was just on the other side of the wall working on my Slash and checked the bag that it was in it for ever 15 min. I don't know if that sought of long or not.

I was recently going to storage charge it, but as I was programming my EZ-Peak Plus I got confused when I selected storage. It said 0.1 amps and I don't need to discharge the battery as I run it down to LVD so I'm not sure if the charger need to be set at low amps or at 4 amps to charge my battery to 50-60%. I don't have time to check on it a couple of times for awhile If it was at low amps as I got to go to work tomorrow at 3 AM and I'm afraid I might damage it if I charge it a 4 amps. I checked the manual and It doesn't say anything about amps under the storage section.

I'm just going to stick the lipo in the ammo can until I get an answer hopefully soon. Thanks.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Qualifier
    I called Traxxas since there were no responses. Turns out that I have to charge it at 0.1 amps, but the guy on the phone said I don't need to charge it for storage unless it have't been used fo 3 weeks.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    I use the EZ peak and just use storage mode with the balance board if they are going to sit up. I was nervous at first too now I charge and store my lipos on the kitchen counter. Follow manufacturers instructions use your head don't be stupid and you will be fine.