RC poster

X0-1 Downforce issues

Hey y'all heard a lot of good and bad reviews on the XO-1
    I myself despite all that will be buying one regardless.
    I've also seen countless videos of the car after high speed taking off, flipping, and crashing.
    Seems to to all stem from the lack of downforce even with the splitter.
    Question. How can you increase the downforce without compromising performance???
    XO-1Nut had some great mods!! Really well thought out but how can you modify the car to that degree without testing it and know it will work?
    Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

RC Racer
    I am by no means an expert, but I will give you my opinion for whatever it's worth.

I believe that imperfections in the road are more cause for the XO becoming air born than lack of down force even though in some cases more down force or weight in the nose "may" have kept the car planted to the road. Any slight dip, rise, small pebble, crosswind, crack, etc. in the road that disturbs or changes the aerodynamics or causes the nose to allow air under the car at high speed isn't going to be good. Even a road that works just fine at 80mph may not be perfect enough at 100mph. Imperfections would be compounded exponentially. Of course, adding weight in the front, making the splitter more ridged, and maybe adding canards would help compensate for some of these, but only to a certain extent.......IMHO.

I think finding a surface good enough to go 100mph is the hardest part.

My 2 cents, Bill
    Sure it'll work, watch this

RC Champion
    A lot of the crashes I've seen have been caused by the car losing traction and kicking out sideways. I have yet to have any issues with mine although I've only been up to 85 mph.
    Jeremy

RC Champion
    I know a little about lift/negative lift in the general sense & while the OP may know this, people new to these concepts or fast RC may not, maybe my comments will help someone?

Generating large amounts of negative lift (downforce if you prefer) is easy to do but while negative lift gives stability it takes away speed and/or acceleration through drag

Ideally the aerodynamics are adjusted to be effective but not restrictive as is the case with the XO-1. If you want to decrease the negative lift by adjusting aerodynamics you would remove elements like the splitter & the reverse applies to increase negative lift. Once you’ve installed all the optional parts & you’re still looking for more negative lift, you need to introduce more or larger elements to control the airflow

Some familiar changes might be; increasing the capacity of the rear diffuser, introducing larger forward splitter/canards, changing the frontal shape etc. Each works in a slightly different way

To gain an understanding of lift you can visit sites like NASA or similar. The explanations are thorough and often incorporate functional models to demonstrate the concepts like this one does https://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airplane/shape.html

RC poster
    Thanks y'all for your input! Can't wait to get the xo nd drive it.
    And to FLYEXTREME 100% agree with your comment. Although after I see how the car performs I may look at adjusting the suspensions or a lower ride height and make the shell stiffer. Also stiffen and/or increase the front end weight.
    With all thr tronics at the rear LiPo's in the middle, the front seems a bit light .
    Any suggestions????

RC Champion
    Sticky wheel weights in the front.
    Jeremy

RC Racer
    Oh! and one of the very first things I strongly suggest is to balance your wheels. I would be willing to bet that not doing so has at least contributed to some of the blow overs. Not to mention wear and tear on most of the components.

One of my fronts took 2.4gms to balance What do you think that would do to handling and keeping the car planted at high speed?
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 08-27-2013 at 01:34 AM.

RC poster
    What do you suggest the best way to balance the wheels??? @FLYEXTREME

RC Racer
    I have Losi precision balancer that comes with clay for weight. It is made for 17mm hexes. You can disconnect a front driveline and use the hub for a balancer. Not as convenient, but should work. There are other choices for balancers.

Others should chime is with more suggestions.
    Last edited by Flyextreme; 08-27-2013 at 02:33 AM.

RC Champion
    I use BluTack with fine bird shot if required for additional weight

RC poster

Transmitter range

What is the maximum distance that you can run the XO-1?