RC poster

Lipo Choice Help

Hi, just got my E-revo last week (1/10 brushed), and ive already burnt out one of the nimh batteries (3rd time using it). Traxxas sent me a replacement and it seems my other battery is starting to do it aswell (twice as hot as the new battery when done using it). I wait till the batteries cool down (about 30 mins) before charging them, then another 30 when they are done to cool down before using them, and the plastic just seems to melt away on them (bad battery leaked and melted the powercell sticker completely off the cell).

Well since I am now sick of the nimh batteries (guessing its going to happen frequently), im looking for lipos. I am a total newb to rc and was wondering what I should get. I plan to upgrade to brushless when the 550 motors go out (maybe a titan 775 if its to soon and I cant afford the brushless system I want). I dont have a ridiculus budget for the batteries or charger but I dont want junk so Ill buy what is good. So any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

One more question can anyome tell me an expected run time with lipos (im looking for 2s btw)
    Last edited by Diablo9420; 08-25-2013 at 03:10 AM.

RC Competitor
    You will need 2 2S lipos. Runtime will depend on the mah rating on the battery. The higher the rating, the longer the runtime. Get the largest mah batteries you can reasonably afford. That being said, anything over 5000mah will give you pretty good runtime. By the way, the stock nimh batteries should not be heating up like they are, especially if everything is still stock. Check the gear mesh with the pinions and spur and reset if necessary. If you open the mesh up completely, try and roll the truck to make sure there is no resistance. It should roll freely once the mesh is separated. Use a piece if paper to reset your mesh.

RC poster
    I redid the mesh didnt check to see if it spun freely with no motors but im pretty sure it did, I lubed the motors last night with some pnuematic tool oil, and used a piece of notebook paper to set the mesh , its quiet with one motor and seems a bit rough (definatly louder) when I add the second (idk if thats normal first dual motor setup).

As for the lipos im jus looking for longer than the 15-20 mins im getting now, how long can i expect with 2 2s 5000mah? I dont know what good/decent brands are, for the batteries or chargers so thats my main reason for the post on here

RC Competitor
    spc seems to be pretty popular brand with a lot of guys on here. 5000mah will get you around 30mins on average. Depends on gearing, surface that you're running on and how aggressive you are with the throttle. There is not a lot of difference in price to go to a 6000 or 6500mah battery. Consider what the stock 3000mah batteries give you for runtime and make an estimate for the higher mah lipos.

RC poster
    what kind of charger should i get? i get 15-20 with the stock 3000mah. im pretty heavy with the throttle and i like to wheelie so yea lol

RC Competitor
    I am only familiar with the charger that I have. Not sure if I can mention the brand name so I won't. I will say though, that many lipos can be charged at a 2C charge rate meaning that if it is a 2500mah battery it can be charged at 5amps and a 5000mah battery can be charged at 10amps etc. Hope you get the idea. This can cut down on charging time if your charger can charge at the higher amperage. Mine tops out at five amps....don't really like that. Get a charger with dual outputs because obviously you will be using 2 batteries. DO NOT exceed the recommended charge rate for whatever batteries you get.

RC poster
    Ok, and these spc batteries, they seem kind of cheap 8200mah 50c 2s 7.4v for only 50 $? Seems to good to be true, are they pretty reliable? And why cant u mention the charger (just curious)

RC Competitor
    It's not a Traxxas charger. Search the treads....spc seems to be pretty popular. I have the 5400mah 2S 50c and have had no problems at all. No heat issues. Had them for about 1 1/2yrs. They are the only lipos I own so I can't really compare them to anything else.

RC poster
    Well if theyre that reliable, I guess I should get a set. Now the evx-2 on my revo had the low voltage detector so I wont need an external one or anything right? And I was thinkin of getting the ez peak plus, or should I look else wheee and see what I can find at that price range?

RC Competitor
    As long as you have the LVD on your esc you should be fine. Don't be surprised if you burn out those twin titans running the lipos. The extra runtime creates more heat. You'll switch to brushless before long....I did and would never go back.

RC poster
    O I plan to go to brushless but it has to wait (cant decide between the mamba or rx8), I have to pay my bike off and well I had the money to do that but there was a nice shiny revo calling my name lol. And ive read the titans dont last long with lipos, I figured id get the ones I stated above, and jus limit my run times and have a break before continueing