RC poster

right gearing and good traction

hey guys, i have started building a small track in the woods for my 2wd slash. it has your typical bumps, turns, mud, water creeks(no deeper then the truck), inclines and jumps. its a tight track with loose dirt, damp, mud, and packed dirt. the truck is all stock except the bigger 7 cell. the gearing is 19/90. i want more low top end for quick acceleration off corners but still have some top end on short straight aways. might change the pinion to 16 tooth and keep the 90 tooth spur. right now its got your basic traxxas slash tires that are worn almost to slicks. might run some trenchers 2.2. also how can i improve the turning radius? i need more practice before i go with the brushless CC sw3 combo. anyways let me know what you think for proper gearing and treads. thanks.

RC Qualifier
    youre probably already close to where you need to be. the 16/90 will give you more top speed, but you wont have as much coming off the turns. and also, id definitely go with the cc sidewinder sct edition, much better for a sct than the regular sidewinder 3. and now they come with a fan on the esc, and a cc blower fan for the motor.

With out knowing exactly what your track and terrain look like,especially mud, its hard to give any kind of opinion.
    However I can say this.
    The last slash I bought for my grandson came stock with a 16 tooth pinion,90 spur,and I think I could jog faster.
    On a tight semi lose dirt track I gear him 19/84(4.421) and the truck does very well in the youth stock class.
    The titan doesn't leave much room for gearing options.
    23/86(3.739), for hard surface speed, or 19/90(4.736)19/86(4.526) for everything else.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

New Trenchers will definitely get you better traction on your track, sounds like it will be pretty rough. Depending on how tall the new tires are, your new 16/90 gearing may be closer to the old 19/90 gearing when you're done. Tall tires will raise the gearing, thus slowing acceleration and adding more top speed.
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC poster
    well scratch the 90t, might drop to 16/86, and defiantly sticking with stock tire height.

I believe this might be a typo.
    the 16/90 will give you more top speed
    The lower the pinion tooth count and the higher the spur count, the slower the vehicle will go, thus stock 19/90 vs speed gearing 23/86.
    At 16/86 (5.375), at least heat should never be an issue.
    Must be a very tight track.
    As far as the trenchers,I agree with the others,good choice., they are a multiple surface tire which does well on most terrain

RC Qualifier
    O haha, oops my bad. Thanks for catching that billy, idk what i was thinking when i said that.

Quote Originally Posted by dontlift19 View Post
    O haha, oops my bad. Thanks for catching that billy, idk what i was thinking when i said that.
    No worries,I knew what you meant,figured it was just a typing mistake.