RC Qualifier

Need cooling fans

I need a cooling fan for the castle sv3 and the 3800 motor but it needs to fit around the traxxas wheelie bar thanks in advance

RC Qualifier
    Integy makes a crappy er I mean value no wait, its crappy heatsink fan combo to put on a pede motor, Its offset to clear the bar and fairly cheap. Now what I did was put the heatsink on the motor, u may have to bend it a little to grip better as the aluminum is soft. Then I took the fan and put it on the esc, then glued the screws to the esc to hold the fan. I know it sounds like a hack job, but it got the job done. If u bought that as a kit ,the fan that came with it, u can zip tie it in place over the sv3. A lot of peeps have done that mod for sure.

RC Qualifier
    The last 2 links are fine. I used the singe fan one and as I said, used the heatsink on the motor and the fan on the esc.

RC Qualifier
    Ok for the ESC whitch one is better?

RC Champion
    You will be better off gearing things properly than running fans. Small fans never last long and on a RC their lifespan is even shorter.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Well I have the sv3/3800 and its geared 19/90 but its at 50% power all around the motor is still "cool" but I can't give you a good idea because I don't have a temp gun the ESC is the hotter of the two but is cool in about 5 minutes of sitting so maybe it's something to wait on then till spring or is there a better way other than fans of heat sinks?

RC Qualifier
    Or is this a better idea? And will it fit with the traxxas wheelie bar?
    http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=380664664171

RC Champion
    Switch to a 86 tooth spur. Your gearing may be a little to low which will cause heat. I run 20/83 and have no issues.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    I wish I could say I've done that but can there is no LHS within 200 miles of my house and ebay charges more to ship it than its worth for pinions I have 16, 19, 21/23 I can't remember of the last two whitch one but I think it's a 23 and for spurs all I have is one extra 90

RC Qualifier
    19/86 should be plenty safe.

RC Qualifier
    All I have are 90 tooth spurs

RC Qualifier
    19/90 is super safe.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    19/90 is super safe.

May be to safe. A motor can be over geared or under geared.

And if you cant get a smaller spur increase the pinion size.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    The VXL comes with 19/86 the optional 21. 19/90 is very close to the same ratio.

RC Qualifier
    Not to sound gross, but u can spit on em and see what happens, apparently its an old nitro trick to check temps on their motor heads as it will boil just like water. Or better yet lick yer finger and put a dab of saliva on the motor, if it bubbles off its too hot, if it sits their yer fine, and I have no doubt its fine. As for the esc , a drop on the middle of the fins and same thing. I have a temp gun and a"ow its burning my fingers uncle dug" from the nephew is around 135degrees which is fine for both.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    The VXL comes with 19/86 the optional 21. 19/90 is very close to the same ratio.
    Having 3 less teeth on the spur will make a noticeable difference. And if he installs a 23 tooth pinion with the 90t spur it will make a big difference over the 19/90 setup.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Qualifier
    Well then thank you everyone

RC Champion
    I am geared 18/58 32 pitch and have not need the fan yet, another option is to change your transmissin to aluminum if you like that option. I have the fLM transmissin box and the 1410 motor on MMP is just excellent, it rranges between 98F and 123F at that gear even on rough, dirt , grass terrains. So far I vae not geared any higher but will paln too , to do speed rusn, right now ebven awith 2s I am pretty satisfied with the sepped for bashing etc.
    Live life to the fullest