RC Qualifier

getting back into things - ESC help needed

Hey all,

Been off RC's for a while as i have had so much going on (and some of my friends got me into warhammer - another expensive hobby!!!) But now I'm looking to get all my trucks going again, sell one or two off etc etc.

However both my brother and myself have some Duff VXL ESC's - his is totally fried (he was running it in grass and i think his gearing overheated the ESC and burnt it out) mine has a thermal sensor issue so cuts out randomly - though still works, just about lol.

so my first stop is to be getting some new ESC's for both of us. As we live in the UK and both enjoy getting down to the beach Water proof is essential to us (please no "lips can't go in water" "salt water is bad" etc etc - i have a lot of experience from the past few years to cover those - LIPO is fine 100% submerged and salt water just requires a hose and some fresh water after with a little more maintenance). Anyway back on track; my research has popped up the new ESC's that Team Orion are offering, Waterproof, a name i trust and some decent online reviews. So i think that is where i am going to head as i have had problems with the VXL ESC's before and am already on the third myself.

However i need reminding about some of the figures with all of the electronics - while i remember a lot i have forgotten the fine points of the Electronic numbers - Amps Volts, Watts, KV etc etc. As such i wanted to get some input from the guys here as when i was running my trucks a lot i found the people here an invaluable asset to helping me improve my RC knowledge and skills.

So i have a Stampede 2WD a Rustler and my brothers is a Rustler too. I run between 2 cell and 3 cell LIPO's and my brother been younger is on the safer 6 and 7 cell NIMH's. Both of us still have the Velinion motors on our trucks and have no issues with those at all.
    The ESC specifically i am looking at is the Orion Vortex R8 WP BLS ESC (130A 2-4S), this seems to be advertised for 1/8th scale - and if i remember right our trucks are 1/10th scale, however i can't find anything above 100A from the Orion Vortex R10 WP range.

So my questions at the moment are these:
    Would an 1/8th ESC run ok in a 1/10th truck?
    If not what impact would 100A have against the R8 130A option?
    And - basic and stupid i know - what does the A relate to again? (i will be going and reading up on these numbers and their impact again as well so hopefully by the time i come back to the forums over the weekend ill be better versed)

Thanks all for your help, and looking forward to getting back into my RC's and becoming an active part of the community here again
    VXL P2de, rusty MMP Orion vortex, mid '90's P2de

Quote Originally Posted by JoesStampede View Post
    So my questions at the moment are these:
    Would an 1/8th ESC run ok in a 1/10th truck?
    If not what impact would 100A have against the R8 130A option?
    And - basic and stupid i know - what does the A relate to again? (i will be going and reading up on these numbers and their impact again as well so hopefully by the time i come back to the forums over the weekend ill be better versed)

Thanks all for your help, and looking forward to getting back into my RC's and becoming an active part of the community here again
    I think both of those ESCs would be total overkill (and aren't at least one of those ran on 4S?). I think a CC SCT 3800 system is still overkill. But running a 3800 on 2S in a 2WD Pede should give you all-day wheelies and good speed without ripping your drivetrain apart like the those other systems would likely do.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If running in sand, a 1/8 system, or at least a lower kv 550 4x4 sct system would be a good thing to look into. More torque, and cooler running properties. Both will give you less headaches running in sand. A 1/8 system may require 4s batteries at minimum to get any real power out of them. If you could find the orion wp equivilent of a castle mmp/2400 on 3s, you would be all set.

My daughter likes your wolfie greatscott!
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

In answer to your question about the 'A' rating, here is some info from the Castle website about the MM2 (mamba monster 2). I know you didn't mention a Castle esc, but Castle provides quite a bit of info about their product.

Max continuous amperage -120A (full throttle continuous operation with cooling airflow)

Scroll down to the MM2 specs. http://www.castlecreations.com/produ..._monster2.html
    My Black & Blue Rally is faster than your color...

RC Qualifier
    I run an HW SC8 WP 120amp on my p2de in front of a 4700kv 4 pole motor on 2S. It's wicked fast and has tons of torque and I have pushed it over through under around and on top of just about every terrain possible. IMHO 1/8 scale esc units are overkill on a 1/10 but once you get a feel for the ponies on your smaller truck you just can't go back...and it sure is fun.

Oh and the "A" is amps as it relates to what it can push to the motor when the motor rings up the esc for its get up and go.
    This space reserved

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys,

I run the MMP2 in my rusty at the moment, only issue with it is the lack of water proofing that Castle provides - and water proofing is paramount to me at all times - never know when a little rain is gonna give a BIG puddle here lol.

So its just a case of an 1/8 ESC will just be a lot faster and punchier (depending on battery/motor) - something to get used to? As i would be fine with that - Especially as i am tempted by the price of the 1/8th ESC that i posted - can get hold of one at the moment for under 100.

Wheelies aren't really anything that i have ever been into, always just got bored of pulling them within a few mins - the way i have modded my pede (lengthened the chassis, loosened the slipper clutch etc) i no longer have to worry about wheelies, but still get awesome performance from the truck.

right so (having had 0 research time this weekend ) if i remember right you want the battery to be able to provide more than the ESC can draw and the motor unable to pull the max amount of Amps that the ESC is rated for - so in numbers (hypothetical) a battery that can provide 150 to an ESC that can only ask for 130 with a motor unable to require more than 120? to give a safe running system?

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    If you follow your formula at the end of that post(works for me), you will not see much of a difference in punch between the mmp and 1/8 esc, if any. Nothing to get used to 8)
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???

RC Qualifier
    cheers Rag, just the info i needed to finalise my decision to get the ESC - now I'm sure i left some change around here somewhere...!!! lol must have disappeared into the Warhammer army... grrrr - best still be on sale when i get paid!

Also need to remember which receiver i need for the TQ transmitter - my E-Tronix throttle has died completely leaving me with steering but no forwards/reverse control. Wonder if i could salvage the component i need from another controller and solder it on to the broken controller