RC Enthusiast

1/16 Summit VXL or Stampede 4x4 VXL

Okay, which one of these do I want? Money is an object, so I am leaning towards the Summit right now for my son. I have a 1/16 E-revo and I really like it, but I want to get my son a truck that does better in taller grass and over rougher terrain. It would be nice to broaden the range of acceptable terrain to drive the truck in. How does the mini Summit do in grass and rough stuff?

My buddy's son has a 2wd Brushed Stampede and it was mowing over the rough stuff and grass a lot better than my MERV. I had originally wanted the Summit since some stuff is interchangeable with my MERV and it is cheaper. I also figured that it would do better in the rough stuff and grass than the MERV since is comes with bigger tires. However, after seeing what the 2wd brushed Stampede can do, I am thinking that the 4wd brushless Stampede would be unstoppable. His son was beating the crap out of that thing on the pavement getting it to do 5ft high cartwheels since he kept turning too sharp at top speed and it survived it all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Dart347; 08-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.

The wee Summit does about the same as a wee Revo if you were to put slightly larger tires on the Revo. The Summit, however, has some durability issues to conquer before it is as reliable as the Revo... and in the end you end up with a Revo with Summit looks, tires, and gearing.

If I had to choose between the two, the 4x4 Pede would be my choice.... without any hesitation.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    Go for the Stampede 4x4. One of the best Traxxas product IMO. Just upgrade the drive shafts and its near bullet proof.
    E-REVO MMM - Stampede 4x4 6s/3s

And for the cost... in the long run the Pede will probably be cheaper as it needs less improvements than the wee Summit.
    Whatever it is I just typed... could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I bought 2 summits and one is great and the other has been a nightmare. My grandsons decided on the Summits. They paid half I paid half. I now have way more money in the one summit than it would have cost to buy The 4x4 stampede. I have numerous large Summits and they have been awesome. The little summits are surprising where they can go. If I could do it over I should have listened to the advice of others on this forum and bought the 4x4 Stampede. Sounds like a way better vehicle. IMO spend the money now on a great vehicle or spend all the time and money upgrading the Summit VXL.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah, for the money I want something different. I thought it would be fun to drive 2 together that are the same size, but I would rather get something that can go over more terrain. The Summit is almost identical to my E-revo, so I would basically be getting another one of those. For a little more, I can get a bigger vehicle that seems to be more robust and can go almost anywhere. The problem is that my 8 year old son will be getting a better RC Truck than I have and it took me 38 years to get the one I have! I did buy my RC 10 when I was 12 and that was the best at the time, but these new trucks are so much better!

Thanks for the advice!!

RC Qualifier
    Why don't you get the same vehicle as your son?

RC Enthusiast
    get the stampede and while your at it make the mini revo better for your terrain. bigger tires, LT rockers, springs, gearing, ect.
    *REVO33
    *EREVOVXL
    *SLASH4X4
    *STAMPEDE
    *JATO33

RC Qualifier
    Another point for the 4x4 Pede and a new driver is the better durability. We have all four trucks you mentioned. Your son won't be able to cartwheel nearly as well due to the 4wd, but that's not a bad thing.

Not knocking merv or mini summit, great little scale track and trail/crawler respectively. Lots of fun with the little ones.

RC Qualifier
    I had a p4de. Fully upgraded. Im talking 100% fully upgraded. I spent more on that truck than any rc should. What a mistake. By the end of the modding I wasnt even able to get a full battery out of it before something went wrong. And that truck is the truck that made me HATE mip axles. Then again I had a p4de that could do standing backflips on 3s. =0
    I have the summit vxl merv 2 erbes, had 4 p4des, 2 pedes, 1 rustler, and emaxx, and various touring cars (oh and a redcat sumo lol best micro for the price)
    I say the summit over the p4de just because the p4de and sl4sh have a clutch bearing and dirt is constantly getting in it seizing the bearing up. If you do ANY dirt running your bearing is almost guaranteed to be seized after like 5 runs. Thats one of the biggest issues I had with it because all i run in is dirt. Dont let ppl tell you the diffs wont blow either... cuz ive blown multiple diffs on the p4de. If traxxas revises the p4de and made it so the bearing on the clutch doesnt have so much issues and gave it a better motor and esc from the start id be all over that truck again. At one point it was my favorite truck... Its the only rig o had 4 of....

RC Qualifier
    The stampede is by far better for what you want - reliability, serious off-roading, and general fun! Go for it!

RC Enthusiast
    I wish I would have gotten a Stampede. Hind sight being what it is. I've spent a lot of money after the fact on my Summit VXL.

Stampede by miles its one tough truck and can handle more rough terrain .......peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by BANG_6th View Post
    get the stampede and while your at it make the mini revo better for your terrain. bigger tires, LT rockers, springs, gearing, ect.
    Yeah, I already ordered the Stampeded and I got the mini Summit tires for my Merv and I am ordering lower gearing for it and some upgraded parts and batteries so it will hang better with the Stampede. I want to get a 2nd Stampede for myself but I am just spending too much money on these things already.

Thanks!