RC Qualifier

need upgraded steering servo.

I am now on my 3rd 2080 steering servo. I have scoured both the erevo 1/16 and summit vxl threads for an upgrade. I unfortunately bought the Hitec waterproof servo and it is not going to fit. I am looking for a better servo than the 2080 and want it to be plug and drop in. Any suggestions? a link to where to buy would be great. I looked for the Bluebird but could not find any in stock. And it appears the hitec servos have to be custom fit. Thanks in advance for any help.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    There is a Corona out there for less than $10 that is a good upgrade, but I don't remember if it is a direct fit or not.

The only one that comes close that I know of for sure that is a near direct fit is the Blue Bird 390.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

4 of my friends have the Coronas. All of them work perfect, and it's a 95% direct fit.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    4 of my friends have the Coronas. All of them work perfect, and it's a 95% direct fit.
    Are they using them for the mini Summits and do you happen to know which model number they are using?

It is blocking the website because that website and store and a good portion of their products are banned. It is not a glitch.

I also suggest editing out their name and anything that comes up as "*" to avoid warning points and getting banned from using this site.

Are they using them for the mini Summits and do you happen to know which model number they are using?
    They are 2 mini Summit and 2 E-Revos. I'll have to check to see which ones they are using.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    It is blocking the website because that website and store and a good portion of their products are banned. It is not a glitch.

I also suggest editing out their name and anything that comes up as "*" to avoid warning points and getting banned from using this site.
    How in the world am I suppose to know they are banned from the site? In the mean time do you think this is the Servo you are referring to. And I am wide open to purchase it from a different source just could not find one.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfslash16 View Post
    They are 2 mini Summit and 2 E-Revos. I'll have to check to see which ones they are using.
    I only ask because the Hitec I wasted the money on was on a mini erevo thread as an upgrade and it wont fit the Mini Summit. Thanks for looking into it.

The waterproof HiTec will fit a Summit if it fits the Revo... the chassis' between the two are the exact same.
    I do know the WP HiTec does take some customization to get it to fit.

Yes, that is the servo.

How do you know? What you type shows up as "*".

RC Qualifier
    The waterproof HiTec will fit a Summit if it fits the Revo... the chassis' between the two are the exact same.
    I do know the WP HiTec does take some customization to get it to fit.

Yes, that is the servo.

How do you know? What you type shows up as "*".
    I tried to customize the Hitec and it didnt go well. I saw your post on another thread and never got that far. I'll see if I can get the Bluebird or Corona and try that. Thanks for the input. I did look at the thread about Forum behavior and it talks about banned sites. First time its happened to me. The *** didn't come up until after I posted. I tried to go back and edit it out but the *** are still there. Thanks for letting me know.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    How in the world am I suppose to know they are banned from the site?
    Anything that appears as *s is not allowed.
    A word filter operates to change inappropriate words and banned websites or brands to *s. When you see these in your post, you MUST edit them out.
    Regarding the banned websites, there is really only one and ALL their brands are also forbidden.
    More information:
    Please take note that several brand names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These are brands that come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these products will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.
    and
    The retailer you inquired about or referenced is banned because Traxxas claims they have pirated Traxxas product designs. Traxxas therefore will not allow any mention, photo, link, or any other reference of that site or its products on the forum that Traxxas pays for.

@ BRICK57: the marshals are not mindless machines - we can differentiate between those who make an innocent mistake and who should know better and those who just don't care. All parties know into which category you fall, so no harm, no foul.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-22-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    its very easy to make the 5086 fit
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=5086

I love mine

RC Qualifier
    I would just use the bluebird 390. direct fit is easier than modifying, everytime I start what should be a slight modification, it becomes a project.

Just google bluebird 390, pretty easy to find it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RZSmerv View Post
    its very easy to make the 5086 fit
    http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...highlight=5086

I love mine
    I tried to get fancy and ordered the waterproof version and removed the top to install per your thread and it is full of very small gears and they all came apart. I tried to put them back together again but like Humpty Dumpty it didnt work out so well, way above my pay grade. I did see that tread, thanks for sending it.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Anything that appears as *s is not allowed.
    Regarding the banned websites, there is really only one and ALL their brands are also forbidden.
    More information:

and

@ BRICK57: the marshals are not mindless machines - we can differentiate between those who make an innocent mistake and who should know better and those who just don't care. All parties know into which category you fall, so no harm, no foul.
    Thanks I'll know better next time.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    I would just use the bluebird 390. direct fit is easier than modifying, everytime I start what should be a slight modification, it becomes a project.

Just google bluebird 390, pretty easy to find it.
    Thanks I can only find it at the banned store (see posts above) and frankly I would prefer not to support a store that doesn't have Traxxas best interest at heart. I just wish Traxxas had an upgraded servo that fit. I would buy it from them. If you know of somewhere else to buy the Blue bird I'm all ears. I might try the Corona I just haven't figured out the model # yet.

RC Enthusiast
    What happened to your servos? I broke the gears in mine after the first 10 minutes of driving it and I didn't hit anything so I was pretty sure that someone forced the wheels to turn when it was off. Anyway, Traxxas sent me a new one but I fixed the old one with new gears while waiting for the new one to show up. A year later, my receiver and speed control lights started blinking red very rapidly and nothing would work. I read about the servo's causing screwy stuff like that so I unplugged it and it started working again. I put my new servo in and everything went back to normal. It is like the electronics shorted out inside the servo causing the receiver to screw up. Weird. Anyway, now that I don't have a backup anymore, I am wondering if I should order a new stock replacement or get an upgraded one. The last one did work for a year in my E-revo and they are pretty cheap...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dart347 View Post
    What happened to your servos? I broke the gears in mine after the first 10 minutes of driving it and I didn't hit anything so I was pretty sure that someone forced the wheels to turn when it was off. Anyway, Traxxas sent me a new one but I fixed the old one with new gears while waiting for the new one to show up. A year later, my receiver and speed control lights started blinking red very rapidly and nothing would work. I read about the servo's causing screwy stuff like that so I unplugged it and it started working again. I put my new servo in and everything went back to normal. It is like the electronics shorted out inside the servo causing the receiver to screw up. Weird. Anyway, now that I don't have a backup anymore, I am wondering if I should order a new stock replacement or get an upgraded one. The last one did work for a year in my E-revo and they are pretty cheap...
    I have two Summit VXL one for my 10 yr and 12 yr old grandsons. The blue one (10yr old) has been flawless. The yellow one (12 yr old) has had nothing but problems. Rear diff replaced and shimmed, broken drive shafts, and the steering servos. The Summit has probably 10 hours on it and the first servo clicked and would not turn correctly. Replaced it with another 2080 and it did the same thing, rebuilt the entire steering saver, linkage and servo horn to make sure it was not a steering problem. Tried to install the hitec and didn't work out so well (my fault). I installed another stock servo and so far it is ok. I took the old 2080 servos apart and the gears were missing teeth. The little teeth were still inside the housing.

I had my steering servo on my large summit shut the esc down and that's how I knew it was bad. I am going to get a couple upgraded ones either the Blue bird or the Corona. In researching the servo on other threads there are people who swear by the stock 2080, have had no problems. And then there are ones that have gone through multiple servos. The crazy thing is the 10 yr old (Blue) runs his way harder than the 12 yr old (yellow). So your choice on the replacement.

RC Enthusiast
    I was going to get the 1/16 Summit but I'll go with the Stampede for my 8 year old. I was also going to put some Summit wheels and tires on my MERV, but maybe that will kill the servo quicker. Yep, mine was bad right out of the box. The guys boxing them up must turn the wheels and strip them out. At least Traxxas didn't fight me much and sent me a new one free of charge. I'll get another 2080 for a backup and if the current one dies soon, then my next backup will be an upgraded one. Keep me posted on how your upgrade holds up.

Thanks,
    Craig

RC Qualifier
    Good decision. I left a post on your thread about what to buy.

Wow, sorry BRICK57, it took me forever to find the info! The one they are using is the Corona DS238MG. Here is some links to threads about it. My friends have been running them for over 5 months, and all 4 of them are still working great!

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...-servo-owners&

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...S238MG-came-in

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Wolfslash your the best. I ordered 4 of them, 2 to replace stock and 2 as spares. Thanks for the links, when i searched out servos on the forum I must never have gotten to these. I'll give these a shot and see how they do. Got to be better than the plastic stock ones.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Reed - I have the Hitec HS-85MG in my mini Summit and it works very well.

Tom

RC Qualifier
    'm not a mechanical whiz kid like you. I tried to take the servo apart to install the big half through the hole and reattach the smaller half below because the wiring was not going to fit through the hole, and before I knew it I had a hand full of gears. Clearly it is my ineptitude about such things. I ordered the Coronas and I'll see if I have better luck.

I really wish Traxxas would make available, upgrades for all these vehicles. I'm up to 12 vehicles now and I'm getting upgrades from everywhere but Traxxas. Don't get me wrong I love Traxxas that why I own so many. But when you buy pretty much everything now you can get good, better and best. I get that Traxxas needs to compete but not every one is looking for the most inexpensive items. I have spent more on upgrades IE - tires, shocks, bodies,wheels,servos, motors, gears, axles, electronics, etc. than on the original vehicle. Sad thing is Traxxas is missing out on most of it.

RC Qualifier
    The hitec is going to be a better servo, if you have it, I wouldn't just let it sit. The gears can really only go one way so its just a matter of trying until they fit. There are probably 5 gears and you know where one of them goes as the horn goes on it. So you just have to fit the others from there.

'm not a mechanical whiz kid like you. I tried to take the servo apart to install the big half through the hole and reattach the smaller half below because the wiring was not going to fit through the hole, and before I knew it I had a hand full of gears. Clearly it is my ineptitude about such things. I ordered the Coronas and I'll see if I have better luck.

I really wish Traxxas would make available, upgrades for all these vehicles. I'm up to 12 vehicles now and I'm getting upgrades from everywhere but Traxxas. Don't get me wrong I love Traxxas that why I own so many. But when you buy pretty much everything now you can get good, better and best. I get that Traxxas needs to compete but not every one is looking for the most inexpensive items. I have spent more on upgrades IE - tires, shocks, bodies,wheels,servos, motors, gears, axles, electronics, etc. than on the original vehicle. Sad thing is Traxxas is missing out on most of it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    'm not a mechanical whiz kid like you. ...
    Hmm, "kid", OK ....

Please don't hesitate to contact me concerning the mini summit servo issue wrt the Hitec I noted previously.

RC Racer
    Just my two cents, I am using dual traxxas servos in my Summit vxl. Works awesome, and very quick response time. It's much faster than the single Hitec servo my dad is using. Not saying he us using the same servo as you, just that my two servos work perfect.

RC Qualifier
    great idea I'll see what I can do.

RC Qualifier
    great idea I'll see what I can do.
    Be careful with the dual servos, you can burn them out if you don't set them up right.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by robl45 View Post
    Be careful with the dual servos, you can burn them out if you don't set them up right.
    I have numerous full size Summits and I have done Servo upgrades on them. The stock servos do not turn the tires well while crawling and one solution is to eliminate the two servos and go with one very strong (Savox 1230sg 500oz) servo. It also eliminates the problem of keeping the servos from fighting with each other, which I believe is what you are referring to. I am going to try the new Corona servo I have ordered and see how it does. The stock servo turned the tires just fine so I'm hoping this one servo will do the trick. If not I'll double them up and make sure they don't fight with each other. If the stock servo had better gears (plastic vs steel) I think they were strong enough. The failure I had were stripped gears in the Servo.

RC Qualifier
    The one Corona should be fine. I've been lucky,the servo still works fine and the truck has hit everything.

RC Enthusiast
    Hey Guys,

How are the Corona's holding up? I think I might order a couple since they are so cheap.

Thanks

Hey Guys,

How are the Corona's holding up? I think I might order a couple since they are so cheap.

Thanks
    4 of my friends have them and they've been working perfect for almost 5 months now!

RC Qualifier
    Hey Guys,

Thanks
    I ordered mine on 8-25-13 and have not seen them. I checked the tracking number they gave me and it says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" I think that means its still in Hong Kong. Try and find them in the USA if you can. I just could not find them anywhere else. I should have listened to Ksb51rl. There is a reason this store is banned from the forum. I just could not find the Corona's or Bluebird anywhere else to order. If you find another source post it or PM me. They were not a lot of money so if I never see them its a cheap lesson to learn. "The cheapest bid (price) rarely is"

Whenever I order anything from over the pond and it is shipped China post or Swiss post the tracking does not get updated until it is already in my hands. lol

And the reason I don't pay for tracking!

RC Enthusiast
    I ordered mine on 8-25-13 and have not seen them. I checked the tracking number they gave me and it says "Origin Post is Preparing Shipment" I think that means its still in Hong Kong. Try and find them in the USA if you can. I just could not find them anywhere else. I should have listened to Ksb51rl. There is a reason this store is banned from the forum. I just could not find the Corona's or Bluebird anywhere else to order. If you find another source post it or PM me. They were not a lot of money so if I never see them its a cheap lesson to learn. "The cheapest bid (price) rarely is"
    I think I'll wait until you get them. Please update us if they ever show up.

Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I think I'll wait until you get them. Please update us if they ever show up.

Thanks
    Well let me eat some crow. Jimmie your right the tracking never updated and the 4 Corona servos showed up today. I didn't realize its pretty normal to wait 2 to 3 weeks for stuff from overseas. I also didn't realize they were overseas.

Dart - I will peel the Summits from the grandsons this weekend and install them. Ill let you know how they install and how they do.

Now you know!
    Because if the budget constraints of my tinkering habit... lol... I have to order quite a bit from overseas. Some suppliers ship real quick for real reasonable. Some I swear tape it to a raft and just let it drift to our shores.

RC Qualifier
    I ordered three of them, and they never showed up. That was last year. Didn't get my money back either. I have hitec's now they're a little more but work great.
    addicted much....