RC Qualifier

Will the stock flex shaft hold up to 5s or 6s?

Im taking a trip to the lake and got my boats some new 2s and 3s batteries. I also placed an order with jeff wholt for 2 wire drives. but they arent here yet. will the stock flex hold up to 6s or 5s

RC Qualifier
    I have run my Spartan on 6s a dozen or so times and have not had any problems. Make sure that you grease your flex cable though after every run.

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC Qualifier
    Mine didnt even hold up on stock NiMH power. 5 runs and it was broke.

RC Qualifier
    All I use is 6s, and this is my third season with no trouble...knock on wood.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Mine didnt even hold up on stock NiMH power. 5 runs and it was broke.
    See i usually here something like this. Im suprised to see so many people running 6s on the stock shaft...

RC Qualifier
    I twisted up several oem stock, and aftermarket .150 flex cables running 6S.

HOWEVER, I was not running stock electrics, was sometimes running larger than stock props, ran often in rough water conditions, and, I tend to get a bit aggressive with my driving on occasion.

If you run in relatively calm water conditions, stay conservative on driving style, keep prop size close to stock, and stay on top of maintenance, you will significantly reduce the risk of flex failure.

Rough Water: jumping waves is fun, but every time the boat leaves the water the load comes off the prop and the torque relaxes in the flex cable, then, when the boat enters the water again the flex drive loads hard.
    Occasional wave jumping is part of normal running but continuous wave jumping in rough water will take it's toll.

Driving Style: Going hard on and off the throttle, or, quick transitions from forward to reverse, will load/unload the flex drive more aggressively than, easy, consistent throttling up and down, and pausing between forward/reverse.
    Sometimes you have to make abrupt throttle changes to avoid a collision, etc. which is normal, but getting into the habit of smooth throttle operation will help save your flex.

Prop Size: Larger or higher pitch props increase the load on the drive, and will also compound the effects of the conditions discussed above.

Maintenance: Clean, dry, inspect, and lube the flex every couple runs. Don't run a flex that shows signs of kinking, pitting, or fraying.

hog
    Last edited by hog; 08-22-2013 at 06:35 PM.

RC poster
    I have ran stock flex with 2 3s 8400mah batts with no problems
    But I still run stock plastic prop I have about 20 runs on
    My boat

RC Qualifier
    Yeah I ran mine once in really rough water... Like 1-2' breakers. I was throttling very well though and got off the throttle just about every time I unloaded the prop but it MAY have contributed to the breakage after 5 runs. So if you go easy on it, it will last. I upgraded to a .187 just to be safe though.