RC Racer

What O.S. engine to run on my Nitro Revo?

It's common sense to run the o.s. .21TM, because it's a drop in motor. But man, that's a heavy price tag. My 3.3 is great but just doesn't hold a tune like a o.s. motor does. There isn't anything wrong with my 3.3, I just like to see what other options there are. I know the o.s. .18tm is D/C but wonder if there are other o.s. motor that will fit with some minor tweaking. I'm really open to other brands and options. I just favor o.s. because I had a o.s. .18 before on my tmaxx and it was great, tuning was easy, held idle great, and ran like a champ. If somebody can point me to the right direction with an affordable budget I would greatly appreciate that. Thank you!

.18tz. Plenty of engine choices out there and plenty of threads about them.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    I am in the process of installing a picco .26 max today,the new era mount should be here by 2 p.m. so i will let you know what i think of it after i start breakin this evening.(its way to hot out,10:00 am and its already 97 out!!!)

I got the OS .21TM when I looked at what needed to be done to get a 18tz to fit. (If you want to use a pull start or roto start you need a tm crankshaft, starter shaft and backing plate) you're close to the price of a 21TM + you have to use a turbo plug with the TZ. And for a picco .26 max when you add the BB mount and a BB exhaust you're around the same price. If you watch Tower hobbies they have sales all the time you can get 60.00 off + free shipping on orders over 300.00.
    Last edited by fallonguy; 07-06-2010 at 09:11 AM.
    I wanted to put a really cool signature but I ran

RC Racer
    I was searching on ebay this weekend and found a .21tm for around $250 brand new with Revo header. The only other thing I would recommend but you may not need is the Traxxas spring mount exhaust (~$20). It has the flange on the end that helps the coupler stay on better vs the OS header.
    Tasing is the new spanking!

RC Champion
    For about $200 you can get a Picco .26 on ebay. Add $20 you can get a jl red dot.
    Nothin' like a 4 on the floor and a V8

RC Racer
    I got a really good deal on the picco, my wife and i stumbled apon a hs that was going out of business and everything was cheap.the engine was $135 thats why i got it and because all i needed was the mount. And plus i could uses the same ths exhaust and header that i have on there.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by 02hawk
    For about $200 you can get a Picco .26 on ebay. Add $20 you can get a jl red dot.
    How reliable are the picco .26 compare to the os 21tm? What's a jl red dot? Sorry I'm a newbie when it comes to nitro motor. Will I need a BB kit to make it fit my revo?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by revo-freak
    I am in the process of installing a picco .26 max today,the new era mount should be here by 2 p.m. so i will let you know what i think of it after i start breakin this evening.(its way to hot out,10:00 am and its already 97 out!!!)
    Sounds great. Keep up posted with your finding?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by fallonguy
    I got the OS .21TM when I looked at what needed to be done to get a 18tz to fit. (If you want to use a pull start or roto start you need a tm crankshaft, starter shaft and backing plate) you're close to the price of a 21TM + you have to use a turbo plug with the TZ. And for a picco .26 max when you add the BB mount and a BB exhaust you're around the same price. If you watch Tower hobbies they have sales all the time you can get 60.00 off + free shipping on orders over 300.00.
    I was afraid of that. How much was the difference when you add it up? Compare to the os 21tm. I really want to retain my EZ start. Why? Because I live in sunny California, and the summer here is blazing hot.. If all the other motors takes about 1-2 pull to get it to start I wouldn't mind either.

RC Racer
    BTW, I'm assuming the only difference between the O.S. 21tm revo and O.S. 21tm t-maxx is just the exhaust manifold, correct??

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kouasupra
    BTW, I'm assuming the only difference between the O.S. 21tm revo and O.S. 21tm t-maxx is just the exhaust manifold, correct??
    Yes.
    If you do decide to get a engine that needs the big block mount I would get a .21 racing buggy or truggy motor. There are plenty of them all over ranging from 150 to 250.

Yes but you can't use the t-maxx manifold on the revo and the Traxxas manifold will not fit on the OS engine. If you want to stick with the ez start I would get the OS .21TM the ez start doesn't have the power to turn over a big block engine.

RC Racer
    But if you buy a revo manifold and put it on the os motor it will work right?

yes it will Did you find one for a t-maxx at a great price? The reason I asked is the os revo manifold runs around $48.00
    Last edited by fallonguy; 07-06-2010 at 08:13 PM.

RC Champion
    Well the O.S. is .21 Picco is .26
    Picco is cheaper but needs manifold/pipe (THS), motor mount, can't use e-z start
    O.S. is smaller, more money but can use e-z start and comes with manifold

The jl red dot is a little bit stronger/faster motor for a little more money

There is more stuff ou probably need for the picco and someone that has one will tell you, I just know what I've read on here. Its still a dream motor for right now...

RC Competitor
    I have a Picco 26 maxx in my 2.5, and it's a sick motor. Well worth the price! All you NEED is the BB motor mount and the motor. Get the BB pipe after you break it in, and open that beast up! The stock header mounts to it so that works, but PM Oomp on here, he may have a SB to BB exhaust adapter still laying around. I got one from him this year and it's the bees knees! No more torn double gaskets!

By nomadcycle at 2010-06-01

RC Racer
    Sounds great. Keep up posted with your finding?
    Just an update on the picco install.... well putting the mount was easy and i really like the new era mount over the ofna mount, the mill is in and all meshed. ran into a couple little unrelated issues such as worn pushrod end and a chewed up wiring harness. I replaced those and went to start it and it fired right up, then i went to start it again and the easy start gave a big puff of smoke and crapped out,which i dont really mind because i have 3 other easy start systems sitting here. But i put a pull start on and it fired right back up so i am gonna leave the pullstart on until after break-in. Should i put a priming bulb on while i am using the pull start? this is the first pull start i have ever used.other than that i am pleased with with the project. hopefully today i can start the break-in cause it should be a little cooler out

RC Racer
    Is the .26 picco a lot more powerful than the os .21tm?? Also will the .26 picco work with my EZ start, and TRX exhaust? If that's correct than all I need is a BB mount right?

RC Racer
    How well does the .26 picco hold it's tune??

RC Champion
    It will work with the TRX exhaust but like the post made by revo-freak says, he fried his E-Z start

RC Racer
    Well i used the pull start to run throght the first tank, it went ok. i put another ez start on from one of my other revos and that one works fine now that it is a little more broke in. It was so humid out tonight i really couldnt get it run that good. I will give it another go around tomorrow evening.

RC Qualifier
    Ok so i'm gona get rid of my Sirio, it's a good engine but too finicky. (And it does swap between the maxx and Revo). Can I use the EZ-start on the picco? (I think I have 2 or 3 extra lying around) which engine is "less finicky". Between the OS and Picco

We have been out of this sport for about 3yr but want to get back into it.
    Sorry for the hijack.

Dave
    T-maxx Sirio.23, JATO TRX3.3, Revo TRX3.3 and Electric Rustler

RC Racer
    Is the .26 picco a lot more powerful than the os .21tm?? Also will the .26 picco work with my EZ start, and TRX exhaust? If that's correct than all I need is a BB mount right?
    I have both Picco .26 JLRed dot and os .21tm. Both are very reliable and both hold great tune equally. The picco has more torque and overall more powerfull with correct gearing. The ez start will not work with picco. The trx exhaust will work if you bore out the stinger but you wont get full potential of motor, but if you really want performance go with side pipe, dynamite or ths BB exhaust. Additionally I have heard the rb523tm exaust works great too. If I were you I would get picco with new era mount/dynamite 053 side-pipe and then HAVE FUN.
    Last edited by evanson_1984; 07-08-2010 at 06:16 PM.

RC Competitor
    I just picked up the OS .21TM. I hear the best plug to run is ENYA #3 plug. What do you think?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by maddogf250@yahoo.com View Post
    I just picked up the OS .21TM. I hear the best plug to run is ENYA #3 plug. What do you think?
    The O.S. lc3 and lc4 probably will work best for that engine.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Competitor
    Why would my LHS push me to the ENYA #3? Don't know much about this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Jato View Post
    The O.S. lc3 and lc4 probably will work best for that engine.

RC Qualifier
    Maybe they don't carry O.S. glow plugs. I'm not familiar with enya glow plugs. Your gonna want to use a long glow plug for that engine.
    Jato 3.3, Revo .28 JL Max, Nitro Stampede 3.3

RC Champion
    Why would my LHS push me to the ENYA #3?
    Choose any of the following reasons;

Largest profit margin.

They have them in stock.

They realize if they do have to order what you want, they are going to wait until they can generate a large enough order from their supplier, for them to get a larger discount, and that length of time is gonna be an irritant to you and cost them business.

The person behind the counter uses them, so of course they are the best.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

RC Competitor
    I'm sticking with the plug OS sent with the motor. Thank you. This was a big purchase for me. I'm not rich as im sure not many of us are and I want to take care of it. I'm going to run O'Donnell 20%. I ran it for ten seconds tonight with Traxxas 20% to make sure I put the flywheel and clutch in proper, lol.

RC Enthusiast
    I had 2 starter shafts/OWB's fail on me. So i decided to modify the 21TM to run from a starter box.
    I used these parts:
    O.S. Cover Plate 18TZ
    O.S. Screw Set 21VZ-R VZB
    O.S. Gasket Set 18CV-R
    OFNA T-Start Revo Starter Box (OFN10262)

Had to grind back the starter shaft pin, located on the end of the crankshaft

My RC Cycle:
    Build it, Drive it, Brake it.

RC Racer
    ^^ that should be soo free reving now! Virtually no power loss.
    T-MAXX 2.5R
    Slayer Pro
    Revo
    Monster Pirate