RC Racer

Cooling the motor and ESC.

Well after I fried the motor, I'm thinking to add cooling ribs with a small fan and maybe do that mode to the ESC as well.
    So..
    How are you guys cooling your motors and ESC's ?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    Well after I fried the motor, I'm thinking to add cooling ribs with a small fan and maybe do that mode to the ESC as well.
    So…..
    How are you guys cooling your motors and ESC's ?
    Thanks.
    I dont seem to need cooling strategy's.
    I race cc3800kv's on 2s as recommended by castle and cc2400kv's on 3s and 4s as recommended by castle with no heat issues at all.
    When I ran velineons I ran mostly 2s,as recommended by traxxas with very minor issues.
    I have never had an esc get hot running the recommended battery.
    If your running 3s in a 3500 or higher kv motor its going to get hot.
    I know people who run heat sinks as a protective measure.
    Now when we drag race with 3s they get hot fast, however we give them breaks just as one doing speed runs would.

What motor,esc,and battery cells are you running that are causing these heat issues?
    Last edited by billy-bones; 08-21-2013 at 08:02 AM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    I don’t run Lipo, I use standard 5000 mAh batteries and the motor is stock VXL +stock ESC that came with my 2x4 slash.
    The temperature here these days is around 36c (96.8F ?)…
    After 2 x 5000 batteries the motor and ESC are burning…
    + I'm running 1/8 big block wheels with ton of traction on soft sand / gravel (stock gearing) and where I'm bashing I'm doing a lot of full speed runs so….
    Yes, all is getting very hot.
    That’s way I'm thinking to add cooling ribs + fan to the motor and a small fan for the ESC as well.
    I remember someone here once posted about the cooling ribs, I can't find it though…

RC Qualifier
    I have the 3500 Velineon, and I only run into heat issues when I eat through full 5000 mAh batteries at the local track. Other than that, a small heat sink works fine for me.
    Slash VXL
    Rustler Hobbywing
    Summit 1/16 VXL

RC Qualifier
    To reduce temps run the traxxas cooling fan on the vxl-3s and get a different gear box w/ plate either from rpm or hot racing to reduce temps on motor.
    My wife hates it but I love It.

After 2 x 5000 batteries the motor and ESC are burning…
    + I'm running 1/8 big block wheels with ton of traction on soft sand / gravel (stock gearing) and where I'm bashing I'm doing a lot of full speed runs
    This say's a lot.
    The bigger tires are just as over gearing would be, and sand is hard on all rc motors.
    Then your doing speed runs is ambient temps just shy of 100*.
    Two 5000mah battery's in a role with out a cool down.
    An rc motor isn't a instrument of infinite punishment.
    You should let your motor cool after every one to two speed runs, depending on the after run temps.
    In the conditions of which you speak heat is always going to be an issue.

RC Racer
    Yes, I'm aware of all the gearing / sand / ambience temp etc. issue, I took it into consideration and yet I would like to "help" a little to reduce heat so….
    If someone remember or knows where can I get this kind of round cooling ribs + fan that can be mouthed on the motor, I would appreciate it.
    As for the ESC, Traxxas makes an original fan and I can get one easily (looks like old PC processors fan).
    Thanks.

RC Qualifier
    With the stock transmission i havent seen any ribs n fan thatd fit the motor. someone prob has modded one on here or something tho
    Let's Get Dangerous - "DWD"

RC Qualifier
    this was to easy
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/3x-Motor-Hoo...487873&vxp=mtr

Yes, I'm aware of all the gearing / sand / ambience temp etc. issue, I took it into consideration and yet I would like to "help" a little to reduce heat so….
    If someone remember or knows where can I get this kind of round cooling ribs + fan that can be mouthed on the motor, I would appreciate it.
    As for the ESC, Traxxas makes an original fan and I can get one easily (looks like old PC processors fan).
    Thanks.
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

Thanks.
    If you not running a stock trans case the castle motor fan is very efficient.
    When I first saw one I didn't think it would work so well,however they do,in fact better then most fan heat-sink combs.
    But with the stock case your limited.
    Here's a picture of a modified heat-sink that was on a truck I bought a long time ago, it came from a boat and was cut out for the wires.[IMG][/IMG]

RC Qualifier
    AHHHHHHHHHHHH integy has a fan the mounts on the side of the Motor and blows across
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...8#.UhZtjRush5U
    http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...8#.UhZuLhush5U
    Quote Originally Posted by Rc_REV View Post
    With the stock transmission i havent seen any ribs n fan thatd fit the motor. someone prob has modded one on here or something tho
    Last edited by skye; 08-22-2013 at 03:02 PM.
    Anza Slash & a pile of Parts

RC Racer
    You people are cool !

RC Qualifier
    Integy fans blow... err, don't blow in this case.

I use Yeah Racing Tornado fans on all my cars and trucks.

4 times the airflow. Don't cost any more.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    Integy fans blow... err, don't blow in this case.

I use Yeah Racing Tornado fans on all my cars and trucks.

4 times the airflow. Don't cost any more.
    can you post a link ?

RC Qualifier
    hey billy, what brand trans case are you using that allows you to use the castle cc blower fan on the motor???

Here's and idea that may be helpful for some one dealing with all the associated heat issues.
    I believe it would be a worth wild modification for you.
    Not to mention stock cases are very inexpensive.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1BNc...layer_embedded

RC Enthusiast
    I just got a Yeah Racing Tornado fan and it is AWESOME! I hope it lasts a while.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I dont seem to need cooling strategy's.
    I race cc3800kv's on 2s as recommended by castle and cc2400kv's on 3s and 4s as recommended by castle with no heat issues at all.
    When I ran velineons I ran mostly 2s,as recommended by traxxas with very minor issues.
    I have never had an esc get hot running the recommended battery.
    If your running 3s in a 3500 or higher kv motor its going to get hot.
    I know people who run heat sinks as a protective measure.
    Now when we drag race with 3s they get hot fast, however we give them breaks just as one doing speed runs would.

What motor,esc,and battery cells are you running that are causing these heat issues?
    Hey man one question I'm running ah 5700kv castle + sidewinders3 esc with a 2s lipo
    And the motor get hot really hot like some times you can't touch it why is that?