Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    Thanks! I'm queuing up my toy/gadget budget for a GoPro to achieve the same thing.
    Nice, they are handy units to have on tap

I received my lead tape so was able to balance my Sweep wheels tonight. These look a lot better than the putty I've been using to balance my tires. I actually thought it would be a bit fussier to cut the exact weight required versus packing or pinching putty. However it went cleanly and quickly.

I must have been in tune to the amount of tape required to cut. I would cut a piece and temporally hold it in place with a small piece of masking tape until I was satisfied with the balance. Worked like a charm!

Perfectly in balance

Test spin confirms it's turntable smooth

The range of required weight

RC Champion
    Received my T-Works Titanium Turnbuckles today. They are longer in length for the Protrac suspension arms.

Also received my Futaba GYC430 Drift Gyro. I'm planning on installing this in the XO-1 to see how well it works in keeping the car in line while accelerating, but I would like to also try it in the GT8 for its drifting potential. Apparently with one of these you can drift like DK in FF Tokyo Drift Or like you have four wheel steering

RC Champion
    Do you have other pictures of the wheels?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Do you have other pictures of the wheels?
    From a page or 2 back...

RC Champion
    Okay thanks, they look great! Hopefully they last longer than the last pair....

RC Qualifier
    Very cool new parts Mr V......ti bloody tanium....this is getting serious...Lol...if you build it he will come.....
    Last edited by simon32man; 10-11-2013 at 03:29 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Very cool new parts Mr V......ti bloody tanium....this is getting serious...Lol...if you build it he will come.....
    Ha, Ha, I have a full titanium bicycle as well as a carbon fiber one, so tech materials like this speak to me loud and clear

Seeing as I had to get longer rods, I thought why not? They are quite a bit lighter than the regular steel ones. I really like the wrench that came with them for adjustments as well.

I received my XO-1 shock towers today, so I'm just setting about to install them and the Ti Turnbuckles...

RC Champion
    Titanium turnbuckles and XO-1 shock towers are installed. The XO-1 towers gives a bit more room for the low bodies to fit, now all I need is a way to mount the rear body posts and I'm set. I think I may drill the H post to the side of the rear tower.

The Titanium turnbuckles are nice units and I'm glad I got them. I like them so much I may get a full set for the XO-1 and the Ultimate. They could not have come soon enough, when I was disassembling the OEM ones I had stretched to the limits, some of them were just hanging onto the nylon rod ends with 2 or 3 threads LOL!

XO-1 Shock Towers - Back & Front

Fronts compared to the STRC

OEM 50mm Front camber turnbuckle = 6g

Longer 60mm titanium turnbuckle = 2g

Ti on the right, OEM on the left

Replacing rods is a simple as measuring the distance between the ends, if its a set up you like

Back Ti camber links on with STRC tower

OX-1 tower installed, I really need those shorter GTR shocks

Rear tower difference

RC Champion
    Rear tower differences

Lower profile

Much needed clearance

Competed

I nearly ready to start painting once I sort out the rear body mounts

RC Qualifier
    You are definitely one cool and precise dude..that is looking better and better....great work boss...

RC Champion
    Thanks dude!

I can't wait to get some paint work done...

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post

Competed

Great view! Remove the nerf bars and it's very reminiscent of a Formula 1 car...hmmm, I'm going to think on this one a bit.

ViperZ, you have an incredible project going on here!!!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    Great view! Remove the nerf bars and it's very reminiscent of a Formula 1 car...hmmm, I'm going to think on this one a bit.

ViperZ, you have an incredible project going on here!!!
    Thanks CrashTest! You know funny you say that for many times I have thought of removing the nerf bars, but decided against it should I wan to use them to mount some side body posts. I'm with you though, it would look way more sexy with out them

RC Champion
    Looks great!!!! That height looks perfect!

RC Champion
    Thanks! Just trying to cobble up a rear body mounting plan...

RC Champion
    Here is the mounting plan for the DP8 Body. Looking through my inventory of Traxxas Body posts and Pro-Line body posts, I came up with this solution and hope its durable enough.

Personally I'm not a fan of the threaded caps Pro-Lines as I don't like the way the caps look on the bodies. However because this is all I had at the moment for the back, and they are very low profile, they are not so bad back there. I'll still look for a regular clip slide in post.

You would think a person could come up with something form all this...

This one will do..

Once the hole locations were determined holes were drilled into the mount. I used existing holes that were on the XO-1 towers

Screwed into place with 16mm screws

Note, if you do this, the holes are not drilled equidistant of the thickness of the mount. It's drilled closer to the bottom to account for the cut out in the top section of the mount

Here is a look athem under glass

Next the front posts had to be trimmed to get low enough to fit the DP8... Oh the horrors LOL Looks like I will need to buy more posts for the taller bodies

Pinned and screwed in place

Next step, wash and tape the body for paint.

RC poster
    Love it. Really great work. Its great to see a body fit it. Cant wait to see it painted.

RC Qualifier
    Excellent skills used there viperZ.....that is looking awesome

RC Champion
    Thanks guys! Just washed the body, and set it aside to dry. I'll try to lay some tape down today, but home chores keep calling me

RC Qualifier
    Great work Viper! I am digging it man!!

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk now Free

RC Champion
    Thanks Dirty Don! I just got the tape on the windows, and will start masking off for the first color line.

RC Racer
    Thanks Dirty Don! I just got the tape on the windows, and will start masking off for the first color line.
    I'm guessing you'll grab and post pics of your tape prep. Thanks in advance.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    I'm guessing you'll grab and post pics of your tape prep. Thanks in advance.
    I wasn't but I suppose I could

RC Racer
    I wasn't but I suppose I could
    Thanks! It'll be good to see what another meticulous builder does.

What scares me on my build? The tapered curved red/blue pinstripes that follow the shoulder line and then get wider at the rear corners. Yikes, that's gonna be a challenge to get right side to side. Looking forward to seeing how you're handling the tape.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Thanks! It'll be good to see what another meticulous builder does.

What scares me on my build? The tapered curved red/blue pinstripes that follow the shoulder line and then get wider at the rear corners. Yikes, that's gonna be a challenge to get right side to side. Looking forward to seeing how you're handling the tape.

You give me more credit than I deserve

What you could do is make a small template out of frisket or manila, and cut the tape on a cutting mat. I custom cut a lot of my tapes for the particular curve or shape required on the green cutting mat with a steel edged ruler.

So here is my work for the day, it was a pretty simple mask job. I did not carry the planned Orange on to the lower nose and around like some Gulf cars, rather styled it like the newer McLarens. The base coat when on well.

I decided to be lazy and paint the blue on first to ease the masking. Hope it doesn't come around to haunt me...

I like these cheese decals that come with the body. Part of me wanted to do a paint job as it would be out of the bag using these decals

That's it for the mask

Loaded up the airbrush

After a few coats

Base coat done. I`ll let it set and then back it with white backer

RC Champion
    Looks good so far! Keep up the good work!

RC Qualifier
    That looks sooo good!

RC Champion
    Thanks guys! Looking forward to the next colors..

RC Qualifier
    Genius......that is going to be sooooooo good....great colour dude...your gonna nail this sucker to the max!!!!....brilliant...

RC Champion
    Thanks Simon!

I peeled the tape off this morning and it was pretty clean over all! I'll see about laying down the blue stripe soon. I'm going to use a metallic blue rather than the dark navy blue that is typical.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Simon!

I peeled the tape off this morning and it was pretty clean over all! I'll see about laying down the blue stripe soon. I'm going to use a metallic blue rather than the dark navy blue that is typical.
    Lol...... I would expect nothing else from the great viperZ........keep the amazing thread posting on all your threads coming......a census taker tried to test me once...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Lol...... I would expect nothing else from the great viperZ........keep the amazing thread posting on all your threads coming......a census taker tried to test me once...I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti...
    Simon! Thanks, I'll keep trying, one day I may get it

RC Champion
    Received my GTR shocks from a Revo for the Rally/GT8. However I think the Red/green/White springs maybe too stiff for the Rally/GT8.

I'm thinking I may mount these on the XO-1 and then take the White/Blue ones form the X0-1 and put them on the Rally/GT8.... Thoughts? Anybody use either or on these cars?

Yeah, for a bit I was worried I'd have to start all over again

Back on track... Anybody use the Red coils springs from a Revo on their XO-1? I received my Revo Shocks that I'm planning on putting on my Rally, however the Green & White marked, Red springs seem a bit stiff for the Rally/GT8.

I was thinking I could take the White/Blue OEM ones off the XO-1 put them on the Rally/GT8, then put these Red/Green/White ones on the XO-1....

I was surprised the body actually seemed to richen in color as the paint cured, it just seem to really pop of the bench one day later after painting

RC Racer
    Frikkin awesome. I'm going for stiffly sprung on my build. You might want to try the stiff e-revo springs out first to see if you actually need much travel.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    I'm digging that blue!

RC Champion
    Thanks Guys! Yeah, this is such an awesome blue! I can't believe it's taken me so long to do a Gulf livery esp when the old 917 Gulf Porsches were my favorites of all time....

Cooper, I may have to see what the car needs once the shorted shocks are in place, do some bench tests and feels.

So I know you guys want some updates, here we go. I laid down the thin blue stripe tonight. As mentioned earlier I changed it up a bit and used a metallic blue and made the stripe progressively wider towards the rear. I thought this may give the who McLaren an updated look that is more my own.

I have to say, masking thin equal sized stripes took more work than I remember, in the end I think they are pretty close. Not perfect, but close enough.

I airbrushed the metallic blue on then backed it with rattle can silver.

Next up the orange

Masked for the metallic blue

A look inside before paint

Loaded up the airbrush

Put down one whole thimble cup

Then backed it with rattle can silver

Hard to tell it's painted, but once the orange is on, it should show more distinctively

I progressed the stripe so I could show more of that beautiful metallic blue paint

RC Champion
    Just a teaser

RC Qualifier
    Now that what I call teasing....Lol....looking real good....metallic blue looks sweet....can't wait to see the end result

RC Racer
    It's gonna look great.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Thanks guys!

Okay, just because I can't keep a secret... My wife laughs at me about this because I'm perpetually buying them Christmas gifts, to open on Christmas day to replace the ones I told them that they maybe getting under the tree

This is with the protective plastic on it still. I pulled it off and boy is it ever glossy! This Ofna Lexan has got to be the glossiest I've ever seen