Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    OEM Drive shaft and A arm on left, MIP drive shaft and Pro-Trac on right

Both MIPs and Pro-Trac installed on the back

Front completed

Overview

Rear with new widened track

Front with new widened track

The widened track fills out the body very nicely!

The model is exciting me now!

RC Champion
    Much better! Those rod ends seem to be looking better and better....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC poster
    That looks really sweet!

RC Qualifier
    Looking sweet dude....they are certainly a lot wider than stock........also really like those end caps for the MIP's...do they just push in the end?.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Much better! Those rod ends seem to be looking better and better....
    Okay, good to hear I actually was considering changing the color as it seems the car is turning mor eblue with the XO-1 towers. I haven't received my longer Titanium turnbuckles yet so I didn't spend a lot of time adjusting the alignment precisely, rather just tuned them in.

Quote Originally Posted by cuejo View Post
    That looks really sweet!
    Thanks Cuejo!

Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    Looking sweet dude....they are certainly a lot wider than stock........also really like those end caps for the MIP's...do they just push in the end?.
    Thanks dude The 17mm caps thread on the inside of the MIP Hubs onto the drive shafts, axle threads, the 4mm section. I'll get you a picture.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    your gonna like that body DP8, so far I have not blow over with that body and it sure stay planted on the road, you can use XO-1 wing too, I have it on mine.

looking good man!!!
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    your gonna like that body DP8, so far I have not blow over with that body and it sure stay planted on the road, you can use XO-1 wing too, I have it on mine.

looking good man!!!
    Thanks Humay, also thanks for getting me on track to widen the track of the build to better suit the GT8 bodies and configuration. I'm sure it really helps in keeping the car from rolling over.

I notice you're running the XO-1 wing on your DP8... I have the XO-1 shock towers coming as well I ordered up a set of GTR shocks with Revo springs to help firm up the chassis more to road car standards. Thanks for your help with that as well

RC Enthusiast
    can you show how you mounted your esc

RC Champion
    You know Humay, call me crazy but I'm sort of getting use to the fat chubby look of the GT8 cars. It's like the Matrix, my mind is telling me the cars aren't really scale looking, and the proportions are off, but I'm starting to think, Ignorance Is bliss

The wide chubbies are growing on me

Here's a closer look at the MIP 17mm hub adapters and how the bolt holds the wheel on Simon

Quote Originally Posted by mustbenu View Post
    can you show how you mounted your esc
    Sure, there is no trickery afoot. It's a Traxxas TRA5626 Mamba Monster 2 mount that bolts into the locations on the chassis with no modifications. It's as if Traxxas and Castle designed and worked on this together, which I'm sure they did.

Last edited by ViperZ; 10-01-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    You know Humay, call me crazy but I'm sort of getting use to the fat chubby look of the GT8 cars. It's like the Matrix, my mind is telling me the cars aren't really scale looking, and the proportions are off, but I'm starting to think, Ignorance Is bliss

The wide chubbies are growing on me

i'm telling you...the more you look at it the more you think, this isn't so bad at all.....the chubbiness will eventually fade away

have fun my friend....have fun
    refresh my memory.....is that a 2650kv motor?

I don't know if I said this but, i'm going to say it again....I like how clean it looks and the receiver mod its awesome

RC Champion
    i'm telling you...the more you look at it the more you think, this isn't so bad at all.....the chubbiness will eventually fade away

have fun my friend....have fun
    refresh my memory.....is that a 2650kv motor?

I don't know if I said this but, i'm going to say it again....I like how clean it looks and the receiver mod its awesome
    yes, it like the chubbiness is purpose built. I get the feeling this thing is going to handle really well with the widened track... I can't wait to take it out again!

Correct, its the 1512-2650kv motor.

RC Qualifier
    thanks for clarification on MIP nuts dude.....for some reason I really thought it was just like a cap end rather than the locking nut itself....I like the idea of some sort of cap end to go my 17mm hexes to keep dirt and debris out ....sweep wheels and tires look great....very exciting stuff viperz....

RC Champion
    Thanks! I don't think there is too much crap that get in the open end. I sort of like the raw open end look more, but the closed end looks good with the Sweeps. The tires are really firm structurally, so they should be responsive with no ballooning at all.

I have a few postal pickups today, I hope they are my Futaba receivers....

RC Qualifier
    Thanks! I don't think there is too much crap that get in the open end. I sort of like the raw open end look more, but the closed end looks good with the Sweeps. The tires are really firm structurally, so they should be responsive with no ballooning at all.

I have a few postal pickups today, I hope they are my Futaba receivers....
    fair comment....i do like the closed end look....yeah belted tires are the real deal ......don't forget to post some pics of your goodies from the postal service....I am going to fedex your prezzie today....its going economy class so hope its not to long

RC Champion
    fair comment....i do like the closed end look....yeah belted tires are the real deal ......don't forget to post some pics of your goodies from the postal service....I am going to fedex your prezzie today....its going economy class so hope its not to long
    Will do, depending on which thread it's relevant to

Hey is there a way you could send it Royal Mail? That's way it comes to me via Canada Post. FedEx will charge me import, handling and duties, even if its a gift I'm sure.... That said, really you don't have to send it.

RC Qualifier
    [QUOTE=ViperZ;5585129]Will do, depending on which thread it's relevant to

Hey is there a way you could send it Royal Mail? That's way it comes to me via Canada Post. FedEx will charge me import, handling and duties, even if its a gift I'm sure.... That said, really you don't have to send it.[/QUOTE

ok I will royal mail it to.....we don't wanna be stung by taxes and stuff.....that said I really doooooooo.....Lol...

RC Champion
    ^^^ Excellent!

Okay, the stuff was my Futaba receivers and my new servo for the XO-1, so I'll post about them in the XO-1 Thread and my Ultimate thread

RC Champion
    Went out bashing with some friends today with the Rally/GT8, XO-1 and Ultimate. The Rally/GT8 with the new extended arms handles really well, and is so much more planted now with no roll over tendencies. It really felt sure footed. I ran the Kyosho tires as they are smaller in diameter and allowed me to squeeze it all in under the OEM Rally body.

All was going well until during a test drive Clint was taking with it he noticed the right rear wheel was getting loose. He pitted it and upon inspection it looked like the rear bearing had given out, turns out it was both inner and outer bearings. I have replaced them all with the ceramic bearing kit I've been sitting on.

The Kyosho tires handled pretty well I think, considering it was just a bash fest. Much better than anything I've been running of late on the Rally. I think this conversion has been a good success, and look forward to it further development.

Here you can see the right rear has given out

Some other fun

RC Racer
    Those are stunning quality pictures! The Kyosho wheels look very nice with the orange body!

RC Champion
    In gt8 form does that chassis tend to understeer or oversteer?

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SH302 View Post
    Those are stunning quality pictures! The Kyosho wheels look very nice with the orange body!
    Thanks! I know I said I was planning on painting the painting the DP8 in Gulf livery, however part of me wants to paint it in single color Papaya McLaren orange as well

In gt8 form does that chassis tend to understeer or oversteer?
    It's all over steer, especially with the power behind it. What its tendency is towards would only really be determined on a confined track where a person has to regulate speed and turning, however as it is in an open lot, over steer is the norm

RC Racer
    Thanks! I know I said I was planning on painting the painting the DP8 in Gulf livery, however part of me wants to paint it in single color Papaya McLaren orange as well
    I would suggest Orange, silver, and black, but thats just my opinion

RC Champion
    It's all over steer, especially with the power behind it. What its tendency is towards would only really be determined on a confined track where a person has to regulate speed and turning, however as it is in an open lot, over steer is the norm
    Okay, I was just wondering because if I get enough money this winter I want to do a gt8 build, just not as extensive as yours. Have you changed the diff fluid at all?

RC Champion
    Okay, I was just wondering because if I get enough money this winter I want to do a gt8 build, just not as extensive as yours. Have you changed the diff fluid at all?
    I just came back from a session with the Rally/GT8 and the XO-1. The Rally/GT8 is definitely over steer, even with little throttle, where as the XO-1 is more under steer.

I could definitely feel how smooth the ceramic bearings are in the Rally/GT Okay, that's a stretch, I really couldn't when running, but they really feels silky smooth in hand before install.

I have not change the diff fluids yet but will set about rebuilding them some time with some upgrades as well.

Cool that you are going to build a Rally/GT8. I had a total blast with it today! There was nobody but myself, so I just experimented with it and practiced controlling it in high speed drifts and side ways slides Way too much fun!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SH302 View Post
    I would suggest Orange, silver, and black, but thats just my opinion
    Can't go wrong with that

RC Champion
    After running the Rally/GT8 for a few sessions, it's apparent to me I can gear up a bit as there is too much tire blistering power from a standing stop. No wheelie action, but I do have the slipper loosen off, and I want to see the difference going form a 18T pinion to a 22T can make.

So, why not...?

Darn#*% @Brace in the way

System is looking pretty clean

I was just able to get a bit of lash, but this is it, maxed at 54/22

RC Enthusiast
    can you please tell me the part numbers to the protrac wide arms you have or a link to buy them thank you

RC Champion
    I got mine off ebay, just to a search "Slash 4x4 Protrac Arm"

can you please tell me the part numbers to the protrac wide arms you have or a link to buy them thank you
    I got mine off ebay too. here's the link http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pro-Line-608...item53fe21f7e1

After running the Rally/GT8 for a few sessions, it's apparent to me I can gear up a bit as there is too much tire blistering power from a standing stop. No wheelie action, but I do have the slipper loosen off, and I want to see the difference going form a 18T pinion to a 22T can make.

So, why not...?

Darn#*% @Brace in the way

System is looking pretty clean

I was just able to get a bit of lash, but this is it, maxed at 54/22
    wow, I like that green pinion, is it aluminum?

RC Enthusiast
    thanks guys i ordered the protrac arms! do i need longer turnbuckles or can i just back out the stock ones

RC Champion
    wow, I like that green pinion, is it aluminum?
    Yes it is an aluminum pinion. I really would have preferred a HD Steel one, but this was all they had in stock that was 32p and 5mm. I suspect it won't last too long, oh well, have fun with it while I can...

thanks guys i ordered the protrac arms! do i need longer turnbuckles or can i just back out the stock ones
    You maybe able to get away with the OEM ones. I'm currently using the OEM rods with RPM rod ends. I have longer Titanium ones coming, but the OEM ones are near their limits. You do need longer drive shafts as well, if you didn't know already. You can use the OEM plastic ones, but they will not last long for car you inted to push to 100mph as you indicated.

I've been running the Rally/GT8 some more and I have to say this is one fun car to paly with. Its got speed, its got handling, and it can even du some off roading in it's current trim. A few things I'm not so happy about at the moment....

• The MIP 17mm hub adapters and how they hold the wheel on. They actually thread on to the 5mm axle shaft rather than the hub itself. What this creates is binding side load on the bearings if you tighten the wheel nut too tight. It actually pushes the hub against the bearing as you tighten the wheel nut down, inspite that the hub is held on with 2 set screws. I may drill a small depression into the flat of the axle so the hub set screw locks down and is not allowed to move inward while tightening the wheel nut.

• The Kyosho tires are nearly bald after 4 packs... I'm not sure if this is typical, but they will not last much longer. I have adjusted the slipper clutch to have more slip after seeing and rotating them last night (2 packs) but then after todays 2 pack session, they are nearly bald

Rears rotated to front after 2 packs

Fronts rotated to rear after 2 packs

After 2 more packs

Yes I've been doing 360's (not really intentional) and lots of drifting, but man, I hope the Sweeps are much more heartier than this.... At the cost/per use of these, it eclipses my full size cars racing tires

RC Qualifier
    holy smoking burn outs......

RC Champion
    holy smoking burn outs......
    I really should work on the video of it showing the difference between a 3s and 4s...

I was working on my XO-1 tonight, I thought these were a bit funny

1717-1650kv Big Block compared to the 1512-2650kv

1717-1650kv Big Block compared to the 1415-2400kv

I could maybe fit it in....

RC Champion
    I was working on my XO-1 tonight, I thought these were a bit funny

I could maybe fit it in....
    Go for it! Just don't go through another set of tires even faster....

RC Champion
    I think the only solution is solid rubber tires

RC Champion
    I was asked by another forum member to test out a 3s pack with the 1512 motor. I had not ran one in it before having only ran 4s packs with it. Here is a video of the differences. I was surprised the 3s was still fast, had power and totally playable. The 4s however is how I like it

RC Racer
    I was asked by another forum member to test out a 3s pack with the 1512 motor. I had not ran one in it before having only ran 4s packs with it. Here is a video of the differences. I was surprised the 3s was still fast, had power and totally playable. The 4s however is how I like it
    I'm sticking with 3S in my planned build for now with a Tekin 3300 Pro4 HD, but am intrigued by all the builds here running lower KV and 3-4S. First things first.

Video/photo questions for you. Do you have a friend drive your rig when you're shooting action stills? And do you shoot video with a head mounted gopro?

Tia

Cooper
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by thinkcooper View Post
    I'm sticking with 3S in my planned build for now with a Tekin 3300 Pro4 HD, but am intrigued by all the builds here running lower KV and 3-4S. First things first.

Video/photo questions for you. Do you have a friend drive your rig when you're shooting action stills? And do you shoot video with a head mounted gopro?

Tia

Cooper
    I usually get somebody else to drive for me while I take pictures, but many of them I also drive myself and then shoot the pictures.

The video is done with a Drift HD Ghost camera mounted to a headband I wear while driving.

RC Racer
    I usually get somebody else to drive for me while I take pictures, but many of them I also drive myself and then shoot the pictures.

The video is done with a Drift HD Ghost camera mounted to a headband I wear while driving.
    Thanks! I'm queuing up my toy/gadget budget for a GoPro to achieve the same thing.
    ------
    Team RCE Slash 4x4 (x5)