Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Took the Rally out for some speed runs. Hit a consistent 99kph = 62mph! Not bad... Apparently I was not geared 20/54 as I thought, and was geared 18/54 I'll need to get some bigger 5mm pinions, like a 22t.

Broke another spindle at the drive pin hole. This time the rear one during another one of those slower speed rollovers... Time to rethink this whole drive shaft bidness...

The upside is I'm building a good collection of spares for my off road Ultimate that doens;t seem to be breaking spindles, yet...

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    have you ever consider running Mod1 gear? revo spurs (36t/38t/&40t and pinion 15t to 22t) 22t will only fit with 36t or the pinion will rub at the motor mount.

that sucks, broke another stub axle with all my speed runs I have airborne mine 3 times but now with the XO-1 diffuser and the DP8 body I have not crash or airborne it yet
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 09-14-2013 at 11:29 PM.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    have you ever consider running Mod1 gear? revo spurs (36t/38t/&40t and pinion 15t to 22t) 22t will only fit with 36t or the pinion will rub at the motor mount.

that sucks, broke another stub axle with all my speed runs I have airborne mine 3 times but now with the XO-1 diffuser and the DP8 body I have not crash or airborne it yet
    I have considered Mod1, but that's about the extent of it...

Yeah, mine just flips if you gun it from a stop and the wheels are turned slightly.... Or if you turn it too much during speed... The bench top inspection shows the plastic 12mm hubs were rounding as well from the stresses of the system So it would seem for now I'm going to run with my plastic drive shafts and use up what I have. I'm not too excited about using the Traxxas 6851/2R CVDs, as this drive pin hole seems like a really weak point when on asphalt... Reason enough for the X0-1 to use 6mm stubs I suppose.

I said enough is enough and ordered a system that hopefully will end this weak point.

MIP 11104 XDuty CVD Front and Back. Apparently this is a back set, but said to work with the wider track of the Protrac arms. I made sur eI ordered the Keyed ones rather than the pinned ones for the strength

MIP 10133 Front X Duty CVD Stubs to convert over a pair of the Rear 11104's

MIP 17mm Hex Adapters

The Super Ultimate, and Super Ultimate Rally

Getting to be a regular occurrence

All the plastic 12mm hubs are rounding

RC Champion
    This morning I realized all the actions I performed on the weekend have crafted the path forward for this Rally. As much as I was fighting it, it seems it is now becoming a GT8. Once the track has been widened, the Focus body and Rally body will no longer fit the wheels in the wheel wells, unless I cut the body to exaggerated dimensions... Oh well... Too bad I drilled the post holes in the Focus as I could have used it on the Ultimate. I suppose I still could. Funny how projects can take on a life of their own

Who knows, I still might turn this back into a Rally form the GT8 if I ever settle on a dedicated 1/8 road car...

Here is the video from yesterday's run using the Rally and the Ultimate, I hope you enjoy it! Again, I recommend Full Screen HD view

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-15-2013 at 01:15 PM.

RC Racer
    Holy. That's a really fast machine you built there! I recently ordered a rally because of your builds and a few others! Sweet and awesome ride!!
    Yes I do have a Traxxas...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampered4x4 View Post
    Holy. That's a really fast machine you built there! I recently ordered a rally because of your builds and a few others! Sweet and awesome ride!!
    Thanks Stampered! Nice to hear of the inspiration, You'll quite like the Rally!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    As much as I was fighting it, it seems it is now becoming a GT8. Once the track has been widened, the Focus body and Rally body will no longer fit the wheels in the wheel wells, unless I cut the body to exaggerated dimensions... Oh well... Too bad I drilled the post holes in the Focus as I could have used it on the Ultimate. I suppose I still could.
    If you don't use them again you could send them to me.... Still looks good, thanks for the vids.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Racer
    Thanks Stampered! Nice to hear of the inspiration, You'll quite like the Rally!
    i hope I like it!! It might not be as nice as yours but a few rpm and aluminum parts here and there will be fine

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    If you don't use them again you could send them to me.... Still looks good, thanks for the vids.
    Thanks! We'll see, however shipping costs would make it not so worth it

Part of me is thinking I've been distracted, and should build a 360mm on road car instead, and keep this as a Rally. I may need to get the Pro-Line Offset wheels to fix it back....

i hope I like it!! It might not be as nice as yours but a few rpm and aluminum parts here and there will be fine
    It will be awesome, just because it's yours!

RC Champion
    Oh, and those new bodies I ordered? The GTP and PF8, they should look hilarious all jacked up with knobby tires in rally trim

RC Champion
    We took my brothers backslash to the parking lot last night and it hit 71mph.
    21/36 mod1 gearing and 4s with the mamba 2650 for 71mph and 3s hit 61mph.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Oh, and those new bodies I ordered? The GTP and PF8, they should look hilarious all jacked up with knobby tires in rally trim
    Haha now that I think about it that does sound funny....

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    We took my brothers backslash to the parking lot last night and it hit 71mph.
    21/36 mod1 gearing and 4s with the mamba 2650 for 71mph and 3s hit 61mph.

Looks like Mod1 gearing is a further option.... With a 21/36 the drive is 1.71. I was using a 18/54 = 3.00 I could get a 22/50 in there, but that would only give me 2.27 However, I'm not looking for X0-1 top speed, just want to break 100kph, which I'm darn close. The 22.50 should get me there

Haha now that I think about it that does sound funny....
    Really hey, much like the Ferrari Monster Truck

RC Champion
    Almost forgot about the longer turnbuckles required for the Protrac conversion.....

So I ordered up a set of 4mm x 51mm, 4 x 60 and 4 x 70mm Titanium Turnbuckles.

Should do the trick!

RC Champion
    One body I've been liking and may get is the Sweep P1L, just waiting to hear back from them what wheel base it will fit. Looks like it should do 325mm. I like the overall shape of the body.

RC Champion
    That looks nice, does it have any stickers for headlights or anything?

judging from the car underneath the body, its the DM1e and I believe that particular car is 360mm wheelbase, I could be wrong though.
    it sure looks nice.

heres what I'm watching with 325mm wheelbase. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350874194119...84.m1438.l2648
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 09-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.

RC Champion
    That looks nice, does it have any stickers for headlights or anything?
    Yep

judging from the car underneath the body, its the DM1e and I believe that particular car is 360mm wheelbase, I could be wrong though.
    it sure looks nice.

heres what I'm watching with 325mm wheelbase. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350874194119...84.m1438.l2648
    They said the body will fit both long and short wheel base cars, but is more suited for short wheel base ones. I ordered one

I like that body you're watching Humay!

looking back at the pic, I see now how it can work for both short or long wheelbase, its how you cut the wheel well at the rear.

RC Champion
    looking back at the pic, I see now how it can work for both short or long wheelbase, its how you cut the wheel well at the rear.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well...

RC Champion
    Sweep told me they shipped the body out today! This is most exciting for some reason, even more than some of the other stuff coming

I think its the one body that makes me really want a short wheel base GT8

RC Racer
    Sweep told me they shipped the body out today! This is most exciting for some reason, even more than some of the other stuff coming

I think its the one body that makes me really want a short wheel base GT8
    whats going to be your theme on this?! If it looks sweet (it will) I'll need to convert my rally to a gt8

RC Champion
    whats going to be your theme on this?! If it looks sweet (it will) I'll need to convert my rally to a gt8
    Not sure yet... Part of me wants it to be just a single color with a small stripe like this Lambo Gallardo, then another wants and all out racer with sponsor themed decals livery.. We'll see... If I like this body I can see me ordering more

RC Champion
    It looks cool! But it would help if it wasn't invisible...

RC Racer

Something like this would be awesome!!

RC Champion
    It looks cool! But it would help if it wasn't invisible...
    Yeah for sure it has to be a bright color... I still have enough to do a pearl neon green

I bought a bunch of bright oranges and neon oranges as well that I can try.

Something like this would be awesome!!
    Hah, that would be awesome but would take some work to replicate

RC Racer
    Yeah I guess it would but lots of design are sweet as there done right and with you that should be no problem!! Also as long it's no plain but multiple colors

RC Champion
    Yeah I guess it would but lots of design are sweet as there done right and with you that should be no problem!! Also as long it's no plain but multiple colors
    Ha, Ha, just wait till you see some of the plain single colors I have planned

I received the VG chassis brace for the Rally as well as the RC4WD light bars I had planned for the Rally Car build, which is not longer a Rally Car cause its going GT8

RC Champion
    Let me know how you like the brace. Also, how did you fit the motor in without shaving?

RC Champion
    The motor fits fine, no shaving required... The brace is going to be had to tell, but we'll see. I need to lift the receiver box up and mount it sideways to get the brace to go under.

This was the plan with the RC4WD 44 LED light bar...

It measured in my estimation, perfectly in the front section of the Focus body..

It may still be a go with the Sweep Body...

RC Champion
    Good idea! It's blinding!

RC Racer
    Is the body way more wider than the stock traxxas body? Looks like it covers/overlaps the wheels more

RC Champion
    Is the body way more wider than the stock traxxas body? Looks like it covers/overlaps the wheels more
    Hmmm, I think its about the same width as most bodies for the Slash... Maybe slightly wider?

I got the VG brace installed. I hope its worth it in control feel, for it certainly is a pain to do regular maintenance now. it will require removal just to take the clutch cover off to check on things. No more quick look see. Also it required me to relocate my receiver box as it runs right through the place it was mounted. I have seen in Radio Control Car Action's Rally build, they just placed the box on standoffs that elevated it above the brace. While that certainly works, it was not an option for me as it would require removal of the Rx box every time I wanted to remove the brace, to remove the clutch cover, to check or clean... See the pattern? This was not an option...

So, after rotating my Mamba Monster 2 ESC, 180 degrees to make room up front, this gave me enough room to make my own standoff drilled through the chassis, and screwed down to the front servo entry area. It's pretty solid, and makes removal of the brace for regular maintenance easier than if the Rx box was on top of it. The wiring path is not as neat in some ways now, but it clean enough for now.

The previous lay out with Rx box, pre VG brace. Notice the ESC power switch

ESC rotated, and screw put through for standoff

Rx box locked down nice and solid

Brace in place, with new layout

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-20-2013 at 12:33 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I like the way you installed your Rx box, nice disappearing act on the servo! I went with the MMP on an STRC mounting plate, Held on with 3M dbl sided tape. It allowed me to use the stock mounting for the Rx box. The CC 2800kv motor takes up a lot of space!
    Nice build BTW!
    AB

[IMG][/IMG]
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!

RC poster
    Thanks Castle! Post up your machine, it's always interesting to see other projects!
    Will do, I'm gonna make a build thread on it I guess. Wish I had more pictures of it in it's early stages... Done a number of upgrades to it already, and had no chassis pics while I did it, but oh well.. I guess everyone knows what a Rally looks like in it's stock form... now I just gotta find my camera.. lol

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    I like the way you installed your Rx box, nice disappearing act on the servo! I went with the MMP on an STRC mounting plate, Held on with 3M dbl sided tape. It allowed me to use the stock mounting for the Rx box. The CC 2800kv motor takes up a lot of space!
    Nice build BTW!
    AB
    Yeah, because the 1512-2650kv motor takes up more space as does the MM2, it requires relocation of the Rx box to the nose. Even my Ultimate with the 1415-2400kv & MM2 required this. I think its more the size of the MM2.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Hill RC View Post
    Will do, I'm gonna make a build thread on it I guess. Wish I had more pictures of it in it's early stages... Done a number of upgrades to it already, and had no chassis pics while I did it, but oh well.. I guess everyone knows what a Rally looks like in it's stock form... now I just gotta find my camera.. lol
    I seen it, good job! I like your blue VG brace, it goes well with what yove done so far

RC Champion
    Got some parts today. The Koyosho GT2 wheels, Advantage ceramic bearing kit and MIP 17mm adapters. as I have not yet received my MIP 11104 XD drive shafts, I used my STRC 17mm adapters so I could mount the wheels to see how it may look. I have to say, looking at this I'm getting excited for the GT8 conversion. The car is so much lower and meaner now in a race car way. It looked mean before with the gumbo 3.0/2.2 wheels, but more in a Road Warrior way.

Here are some pics.

Kyosho GT2 Wheels, Advantage ceramic bearing kit, MIP 17mm adapters for the MIP 11104 XD Shafts

STRC 17mm adapters

Last edited by ViperZ; 09-21-2013 at 02:45 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Looking good!
    Rally
    Slash 4x4 Platinum x2
    Stampede 4x4 VXL

RC Qualifier
    I really do have to say.....that is one mighty looking mean machine you have built there viperZ.....im actually a little envious ...great work and read as per...well done bing

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aburg2 View Post
    Nice build BTW!
    AB

[IMG][/IMG]
    How far does the motor hang over the mounting plate?