Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Am I just in the stone age or is your transmitter beyond advanced?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Am I just in the stone age or is your transmitter beyond advanced?
    Nah, it just full of crap nobody really needs, it just gives more excuses for losing...

"Uhh, my throttle curves and neutral brake were set totally wrong for the track..."

Seriously, if I was racing again I could see me using some of the features, but I'm a hack nowadays, and just like the feel of a Futaba radio.

RC Champion
    Just finished reading the manual, very adjustable and customizable! Note: When setting up the Castle Creations ESC, you have to place Futaba radios Throttle channel in reverse.

RC Qualifier
    That is a cool radio dude.....shiny light....me like...Lol...I plumped for the spektrum dx4s....which is pretty cool...i have no telemetry but can always add at a later date if needed..... just as i have never tried there radios before and heard they were pretty good....and that to has a shiny light...Lol...... and i have a futaba 3vcs for my harm bx2 car which pretty cool

RC Racer
    how much does a radio like that cost and can you set it up for different car on that one controller

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    That is a cool radio dude.....shiny light....me like...Lol...I plumped for the spektrum dx4s....which is pretty cool...i have no telemetry but can always add at a later date if needed..... just as i have never tried there radios before and heard they were pretty good....and that to has a shiny light...Lol...... and i have a futaba 3vcs for my harm bx2 car which pretty cool
    I have always used and loved Futaba car radios, so I had to have this one when I seen it. I had thougth about the Spektrum DX4, as I use a DX8 and DX6 Air radios, and have lots of receivers for that system... But as I said, I have always been fond of Futabas Either or are great radios!

Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    how much does a radio like that cost and can you set it up for different car on that one controller
    Retail is ~$260 CAD, but it can be had for slightly less if you shop around. It's great value for what you get! Yes it has a 40 model memory where each one can be set up differently. Following is a listing of features:

FEATURES
    •4-channel
    •T-FHSS (telemetry), FHSS and S-FHSS capable
    •Telemetry
    •Digital trims
    •40 model memory
    •10 character model naming
    •10 character user name
    •Large 128 x 64 dot backlit LCD display with contrast adjustment
    •Alarm (adjustable)
    •User updatable software (using CIU-2)
    •Steering wheel/trigger adjustment
    •Model data transfer
    •Model copy
    •Model clear
    •MC LINK
    •Fail-safe on all channels

System Overview:
    •Telemetry for Temperature, RPM, Rx Voltage, external voltage
    •Telemetry data logging with adjustable download intervals
    •Count up/down timers
    •Lap timer
    •100 Lap memory
    •Wheel/trigger tension adjustment
    •Trigger position adjustment
    •Display only mode of operation
    •Steering/Throttle calibration menu
    •Low battery alarm
    •Dry cell, LiFe and NiMH battery compatible
    •Built-in charge jack
    •Inactivity alarm
    •Adjustable trim steps
    •Anti-skid braking system (ABS)
    •Throttle acceleration
    •Throttle speed
    •Steering speed
    •Idle up
    •Throttle preset (hold)
    •Trim switch/dial/switch assignability
    •Mechanical ATL Adjustment
    •Dual rates
    •Exponential rates
    •Servo reversing
    •ATL
    •Subtrim
    •End point adjustment

So I think the Rally is ready for it's maiden. Hopefully I get to it soon for it's shake down. Here are some shots from todays final test tuning.

I disassembled the Road Rages and tape the tires

RC Qualifier
    Now we're cooking....this is very nail biting stuff viperZ....golly good...can't wait for your report....and good luck not that you'll need it....

RC Racer
    for the features on the radio what does FHSS stand for??? and everything looks amazing on ur rally don't forget to tell us how everything goes with it

RC Champion
    Now we're cooking....this is very nail biting stuff viperZ....golly good...can't wait for your report....and good luck not that you'll need it....
    Well, I want to run it tonight, but it's getting dark fast..... Thanks!

for the features on the radio what does FHSS stand for??? and everything looks amazing on ur rally don't forget to tell us how everything goes with it
    Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequen...pread_spectrum

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the pilot run. I have switched back to the expanded battery strap and decided to try a 4s right away.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Well, I want to run it tonight, but it's getting dark fast..... Thanks!

Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frequen...pread_spectrum

Thanks, I'm looking forward to the pilot run. I have switched back to the expanded battery strap and decided to try a 4s right away.
    oh cool thanks for the link i think i understand now lol

RC Champion
    Took the Rally out for it's pilot run.. This thing is a lot of fun, I'm going to really like this one!! Its FAST! but controllable

Trimmed it out quickly did some slow get to know it passes, then cracked it open... It handles really nice, just need to be light on the steering at times. I can see where the programmable radio will come in handy, I recant what I said. I'm going to adjust the steering curve with a bit of exponential and dual rate mix so it's throws less at the extreme ends, or when at speed. Over all though I'm really happy with the set up.

Unfortunately I broke the front axle during a high speed flip. It also bent the drive shaft. Oh well, these things happen. Good thing I have a set of Traxxas 6851/52R CVD shaft coming.. I just couldn't wait for them and had to try use these ones. I think I'm actually going to pop the plastic ones in the front and run some more. May as well use what I have

I measured the motor temperature and it was only at 123F after 5 minutes of running on a 4s.. Piece of cake for the 1512 2650kv motor.

I have a video that I will upload once done, but for now here are some pictures.

It broke around the drive pin hole. Not sure if the shaft bent first, if it was the cause of the break, or if the break was the cause of the bend, either way this is pretty cool!

Notice the bead on the beadlock is a bit popped too
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-12-2013 at 09:10 PM.

RC Competitor
    ViperZ, this is an outstanding looking machine! I sincerely hope you have an entire film crew ready to get video and static images when you run this!!

I was 9 minutes late posting!! Sorry that you had a breakdown but it sure sounds like it was fun while it lasted!!
    Last edited by CrashTestDummy; 09-12-2013 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Update post

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    ViperZ, this is an outstanding looking machine! I sincerely hope you have an entire film crew ready to get video and static images when you run this!!
    Thanks Crash! I only had myself, so I took some quick pictures and I mounted my HD Ghost camera on my head. I'm working on the video now and should have it up soon. Stay tuned!

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by CrashTestDummy View Post
    He is the film crew and the photographer lol but i have to agree it does look amazing and to bad for the breaks but hey watcha gonna do lol

RC Champion
    The crash broke the stub axle, the rpm arm caused the axle shaft to bend.
    You will notice that there is a lot of flex with the rpm arms, that gives it its durability but also can cause stress on the axle shafts.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    He is the film crew and the photographer lol but i have to agree it does look amazing and to bad for the breaks but hey watcha gonna do lol
    LOL, Thanks BEvan! Yeah these things happen when we push the equipment to the extremes

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    The crash broke the stub axle, the rpm arm caused the axle shaft to bend.
    You will notice that there is a lot of flex with the rpm arms, that gives it its durability but also can cause stress on the axle shafts.
    That's a great and plausible analysis Zepher! A person really has to watch it now as you strengthen things along the line it pushes the stress point further up the chain else where. We just need to get to the point where the weakest link is the easiest and cheapest to replace....

RC Racer
    That's a great and plausible analysis Zepher! A person really has to watch it now as you strengthen things along the line it pushes the stress point further up the chain else where. We just need to get to the point where the weakest link is the easiest and cheapest to replace....
    well said i will keep that in mind also with my build

RC Champion
    That sucks. Put a bead of silicon on the beadlocks to keep it from popping out.

RC Champion
    That sucks. Put a bead of silicon on the beadlocks to keep it from popping out.
    I think it was the stress of the crash that did that, so I don't fault it at all

So I reinstalled the OEM plastic drive shafts up front until my new ones arrive. Want to start a pool to how long they will last? I was thinking provided they don't see any crazy crashes they may survive due to the torque lower stress up front as compared to the rear? I guess we'll see

RC Champion
    One good roll over should snap the front plastic stub axle.
    Snapped one of my front ones during a rollover at 53mph. I was on the brakes as soon as the truck rolled and I think the the axle snapped when the stopped tire was back on the ground and the truck was still in motion.
    It wasn't even a violent crash, rolled over twice, landed on its wheels and the axle fell out.

I am almost tempted to put the stock arms back on since my expensive Traxxas xo-1 axles are bent on my main slash.

Oh, I put a set of stock rally wheels and tires on the rally and they are awesome on the street, just don't try and drift too much with them as they wear out very fast.
    Made one almost bald after one and a half 4s packs.
    Last edited by Zepher; 09-13-2013 at 12:31 AM.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    While the video was up loading I decided to fine tune and duct tape the rear wing down to the body, just to make sure it's all copasetic

You gotta like using 200mph tape on a RC car

RC Champion
    Here is the video from the Pilot run of the Rally.... Hope you enjoy it!

I recommend watching it full screen in HD

RC Qualifier
    Awesome report viperZ....and great vid.......that beast shifts....love the phrase "walk of shame"..Lol....I love the temps of the 2650kv it takes a lot a punishment and stays relatively cool.?.again masterpiece works you are doing viperZ....thanks for entertainment

RC poster
    Awesome video bud. Really nice build. I'm envious. Hahah. I want to get a build thread of mine up.. it's a work in progress, but hey... that's the hobby. Anyway, keep up the good work. And enjoy that beast!

RC Champion
    Nice 200 mph tape, where'd ya get it? Thanks for the vid.

RC Champion
    Awesome report viperZ....and great vid.......that beast shifts....love the phrase "walk of shame"..Lol....I love the temps of the 2650kv it takes a lot a punishment and stays relatively cool.?.again masterpiece works you are doing viperZ....thanks for entertainment
    Thanks Dude! yeah it really moves out well, and the 1512-2650kv doesn't even work up a sweat on a 4s. Apparently it can take a 6s...?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle Hill RC View Post
    Awesome video bud. Really nice build. I'm envious. Hahah. I want to get a build thread of mine up.. it's a work in progress, but hey... that's the hobby. Anyway, keep up the good work. And enjoy that beast!
    Thanks Castle! Post up your machine, it's always interesting to see other projects!

Nice 200 mph tape, where'd ya get it? Thanks for the vid.
    Thanks Sean! The tape is really just common black duct tape, However I remember as a teen, duct tape was not that common and the silver stuff was AKA around the car scene as 200mph racers tape. Now days it's just so common it hold the world together with out any special recognition

Received my STRC 17mm hub adapters today. They look nice on the test fit. I'm not going to use them just yet and will rock the Street Fighters on the 3.0/2.2 rims for a bit. I ordered a set of Kyosho Inferno wheels and tires that I'll wait to arrive before using them.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    One good roll over should snap the front plastic stub axle.
    Snapped one of my front ones during a rollover at 53mph. I was on the brakes as soon as the truck rolled and I think the the axle snapped when the stopped tire was back on the ground and the truck was still in motion.
    It wasn't even a violent crash, rolled over twice, landed on its wheels and the axle fell out.

I am almost tempted to put the stock arms back on since my expensive Traxxas xo-1 axles are bent on my main slash.

Oh, I put a set of stock rally wheels and tires on the rally and they are awesome on the street, just don't try and drift too much with them as they wear out very fast.
    Made one almost bald after one and a half 4s packs.
    Yeah this has me really leery based on how expensive shafts are The front shaft bending doesn't hurt so much when they were around $25. Now when we are talking $60, It makes me rethink the money we spend on the shafts especially when a weak link is around the drive pin hole.... The X0-1 with it's 6mm spindles would take a bit more, but there is no guarantee the shaft itself would. Maybe this is where the MIP's beefier main shaft would withstand bending.... I have the Integy HD ones in the back that are like MIPs. They were relatively inexpensive, and I'll see how they hold up...

I have been waffling back and forth on Aluminum arms or not... I like the look, but man in the crazy hobby where anything can happen, they could withstand bending, and transfer the load elsewhere, or they could bend as well, and just add more to my pile of broken parts bin.. I have been collecting one, as I thought it might be funny to see after some time.

I'll rock the plastic OEM ones until they give way, then run what ever I have in line

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    I ordered a set of Kyosho Inferno wheels and tires that I'll wait to arrive before using them.

I got to warn you....make sure to inspect the tires very carefully on how well they are glued. I bought the same one and to my surprise they only spot glued the bead area. 2 run and all of the sudden the car acting funny so I brought it closer to find out one tire on the inner side bead completely off. i'm happy now that I glue it together again. I've learned my lesson not to buy preglued wheels/tires before and yet I bought a set preglued again knowing its going to happen
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    I got to warn you....make sure to inspect the tires very carefully on how well they are glued. I bought the same one and to my surprise they only spot glued the bead area. 2 run and all of the sudden the car acting funny so I brought it closer to find out one tire on the inner side bead completely off. i'm happy now that I glue it together again. I've learned my lesson not to buy preglued wheels/tires before and yet I bought a set preglued again knowing its going to happen
    Thanks I'll be sure to check! I may need the X0-1 tires next....

XO-1 are a bit larger OD so its going to make your rig stand taller, I have to adjust mine to set low again as possible for my liking and put stiff spring so that at cornering the tires don't rub the body.

RC Champion
    XO-1 are a bit larger OD so its going to make your rig stand taller, I have to adjust mine to set low again as possible for my liking and put stiff spring so that at cornering the tires don't rub the body.
    What about a pair of Sweep Racing EXP with Rokk V2 wheels? Just needing something that can stand up well to running flat out and not look like a truck tire...

RC Champion
    Here's my rally build #1 with sweet tires and rims. Nice build man, pretty much used all the tires you used for your build As well. Check my build out, haven't updated in a while lol, just started getting back into RC.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephan81 View Post
    Here's my rally build #1 with sweet tires and rims. Nice build man, pretty much used all the tires you used for your build As well. Check my build out, haven't updated in a while lol, just started getting back into RC.
    Thanks for posting your Rally Stephan! That's a great looking build and those wheels look perfect proportioned. Okay, I've got to order a set then

RC Champion
    Alright, bought a set of Sweep 45Deg Belted Tires on Six Pack wheels!

I also bit the bullet and bought a Proto Form PF8 GT Body as well as an Ofna GTP... Suddenly I'm on the chubby car band wagon....

sweep tires nice, always wanted to grab a set but, its too pricey for me lol. that protoform PF8 is gonna look nice, its wider than the stock body so, your wheels are a bit tucked in the wheelwell but, as for me I like it to be out just a little bit and the pro trac arms helps for putting it where I wanted it to look like

that vid sure is moving, looks awesome!!

RC Champion
    sweep tires nice, always wanted to grab a set but, its too pricey for me lol. that protoform PF8 is gonna look nice, its wider than the stock body so, your wheels are a bit tucked in the wheelwell but, as for me I like it to be out just a little bit and the pro trac arms helps for putting it where I wanted it to look like

that vid sure is moving, looks awesome!!
    Awesome, Thanks Humay! I was thinking about going back in your thread and reading about when you went the Protrac arms.. In fact I will

So let me get this straight, the Traxxas 6851/2R drive shafts don't have to be replaced, or any telescoping drive shaft for that matter to use the Protrac arms?

I'm currently using these in the back and plan to use a set in the front. They were relatively low in cost, and I would like to see how they work out before using the 6851/2R's which may or may not get trashed as well.

RC Champion
    I went ahead and bought the Protrac arms... I guess we'll see how it all works out and if I decide to use them.

RC Champion
    The protoform will probably look fine when its painted up.

The protoform will probably look fine when its painted up.
    your gonna like that body and with your set of 5 spoke wheels..... its looking even better

RC Champion
    Alrighty guys... I'm on a merry-go-round and I can't get off, for the life of me....