Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    awesome run ViperZ....... sux about the breakage and bruce feet, I can only imagine the pain your getting.....ouch!!
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |_________________ |

RC Champion
    Thanks Man! Yeah, it was a big brain fart Oh well, give me reason to upgrade, rebuild and paint

Somebody was asking for the Desert Raid mounted on the Rally, here it is. I think it will look wicked all low in rally duty! Although rubbing will be a reality with the short limit of travel within the fender flares... Still why not?

Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post

this kinda reminds me of Range Rover

RC Champion
    That's exactly what I pictured in my mind too!

RC Qualifier
    That was me that asked. Thanks viper....it looks awesome on a rally! Man I want to build a second rally now too. I'm almost at the gt8 specs with my first one since Humay hooked me up with the bodies. You too are a great inspiration!

RC Champion
    No problems Rad, I glad you asked as I wanted to see it as well.

I had to build a Rally for rally use, after I converted my first one to GT8... It's been a versatile rig so far.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    You too are a great inspiration!
    Haha tell me about it my mod bug has gone through the roof since he posted his 3 build threads on the forum.

That desert raid looks pretty dang cool viper, only if you could make it work that low. Debating if I should apply for a job at my LHS or keep working up at my local ski resort which is only seasonal, which do you think?
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Ha, Ha, its actually 4 builds....

1) Ultimate, built from RTR
    2) Rally-1, built from roller
    3) XO-1, built from RTR
    4) Rally-2, built from roller

It would be hard to pass over the ski resort gig, esp when I bet it around Lake Tahoe... Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Alpine Meadows?? I love skiing and lived to ski when I was a young adult. Nowadays I take my family every year to the Mountains to go skiing. I can still ski the blacks and double blacks, albeit a tad slower than when I was a spring chicken

RC Champion
    Ha, Ha, its actually 4 builds....

1) Ultimate, built from RTR
    2) Rally-1, built from roller
    3) XO-1, built from RTR
    4) Rally-2, built from roller

It would be hard to pass over the ski resort gig, esp when I bet it around Lake Tahoe... Squaw Valley, Heavenly, Alpine Meadows?? I love skiing and lived to ski when I was a young adult. Nowadays I take my family every year to the Mountains to go skiing. I can still ski the blacks and double blacks, albeit a tad slower than when I was a spring chicken
    4 builds and 3 threads right? Which one was it that you got the LED light bar?

The ski resort gig is actually down in southern California so not all the resorts in Tahoe area. I ski blacks and double blacks and have almost surpassed my old man who is one of the best ski instructors at the resort. But the chance of getting my rc builds going at a hobby shop is hard to pass up....

RC Champion
    Right 3 Threads, 2 builds contained in this thread

The Light bar is mounted on my Ultimate. I also have another light bar I was going to fit on the Rally, way back when. It's just waiting now

Well, RC toys are nice, but I would take the skiing, myself. Healthy outside work is good

RC Champion
    I though it time to get a setup station so I can properly set up my cars. Currently the setup has all been eyeballed, and while close, the setup station certainly reveals it could be much better!

The Left Rear was at about 1.0 negative camber, where as the Right Rear was 4.5 degrees negative camber.

The Left Front was like 1.0 positive camber where as the Right Front was 1.0 degree negative camber And I haven't even got to the toe yet

nice set-up station, I've seen this on Ebay and always curious how it works lol thanks for sharing ViperZ. I'm still eyeballing my set-up with some measuring here and there

RC Champion
    Thanks Humay! Yeah it really was time and I like tinkering like this. I will need to start doing this for the 1/10 TC racing, so why not my 1/8ths as well?

This kit was a 1/8 on road, that looks to be really designed for the nitro spec cars. I need to modify the toe gauge as it max width is ~180mm, and our cars are 300mm. Not a big deal, we make it work, just as we have with our eyeballs, Now it's just a bit better

Next up on the Setup Station is this puppy

RC Racer
    I NEED to get one of these 'SET-UP STATIONS'

RC Champion
    I got this one for $40 from Integy, they are normally $90, however I may have got the last one at this price. Hudy is the reference standard, but at $250, I can't justify it. My thought is any setup station is better than no setup station, especially at that price

did you pick that color to go with what inside that puppy? I see a green one available lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iNTEGY-SPECS...item257d673ffa
    Last edited by humayrayakongkinaon; 06-16-2014 at 11:40 PM.

RC Champion
    Nah, the orange was the lowest cost, and I don't mind orange, so I said why not...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    did you pick that color to go with what inside that puppy? I see a green one available lol.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iNTEGY-SPECS...item257d673ffa
    Do know with this kit it will need some mods to make it work, but nothing crazy. The Toe gauge will need to be lengthened. I will just add an extension of plexi to the middle section to enable this. Also there is not much clearance to the table surface, as such I'm going to cut some lifts out of 1" MDF I have sitting around. The Rally/GT8, Rally-2 and the X3-GT all set up fine, but when I threw the XO-1 on it, the setup stands wouldn't sit square on the table The lift blocks should take care of that.

RC Qualifier
    Viper have you tried out the tires that came with the wheels that you have glued to the banditos? LOL....i hope that made sense. Ive seen some that look like those from a china dealer on ebay. I want to try something different from my banditos and for $20 for 4 why not.

RC Champion
    No I haven't, but how bad can they be? About the only thing I worry about is the tread life.. I'll maybe glue up a set tonight and report back

RC Champion
    I glued up the tires, but didn't have a chance to run them yet. I started to paint up some bodies, in that I preliminarily masked them up, then started testing various paint color combos on scrap lexan...

I got bored as I couldn't decide, and it was a beautiful day out so I took my full size car for a cruise around town instead

I went to the hobby store just as a stop, ended up buying a new RC Airplane

I'll get back at the bodies here, sometime

RC Champion
    I glued up the tires, but didn't have a chance to run them yet. I started to paint up some bodies, in that I preliminarily masked them up, then started testing various paint color combos on scrap lexan...

I got bored as I couldn't decide, and it was a beautiful day out so I took my full size car for a cruise around town instead

I went to the hobby store just as a stop, ended up buying a new RC Airplane

I'll get back at the bodies here, sometime
    What vehicles are the bodies for? I definitely would take a 1:1 out also before the RC's like you, hopefully I'll get a 1:1 myself in a few years....

RC Champion
    It was a great day out, lots of nice machines

I'm painting one for the Rally1/GT8, and another for the X3-GT. .... Did some painting this morning, had some issues.. I'm not sure why they never go with out issues...

RC Champion
    I got all the parts replaced in Rally-1, took her out for a quick spin, and she ran fine. No videos, but I took a couple of pictures.

To recap, I replaced: Left shock cap, left A-arm, left female MIP shaft. While I was at it I re-valve'd my Revo GTR shocks on Rally-1. The hole in the piston was much too small, causing the car to be much too stiff, even with 30wt oil. So I drilled out the piston holes to .0625", refilled with 30wt, it was on the soft side more like my Ultimate, re-filled with 70wt, seems about right compared to my other road cars, the XO-1 and X3-GT. Its still stiffer than Rally-2 with the Proline Prospec shocks. The quick road test seems to confirm it is much better than before.

The pin vise loaded with the drill bit

OEM Revo piston hole

Boring it out

New .0625" size

Test drive proved it was the right thing to do

Newly painted X3-GT body

Sneak peek at the next paint job
    Last edited by ViperZ; 07-02-2014 at 10:52 PM.

I got all the parts replaced in Rally-1, took her out for a quick spin, and she ran fine. No videos, but I took a couple of pictures.

To recap, I replaced: Left shock cap, left A-arm, left female MIP shaft. While I was at it I re-valve'd my Revo GTR shocks on Rally-1. The hole in the piston was much too small, causing the car to be much too stiff, even with 30wt oil. So I drilled out the piston holes to .0625", refilled with 30wt, it was on the soft side more like my Ultimate, re-filled with 70wt, seems about right compared to my other road cars, the XO-1 and X3-GT. Its still stiffer than Rally-2 with the Proline Prospec shocks. The quick road test seems to confirm it is much better than before.

The pin vise loaded with the drill bit

OEM Revo piston hole

Boring it out

New .0625" size

Test drive proved it was the right thing to do
    this is exactly what I'm talking about experimenting to your liking. I like how the suspension feels as it rebounds :thumbups:

Newly painted X3-GT body

Sneak peek at the next paint job
    LOVING the new X3 paint job, awesome job as usual

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    this is exactly what I'm talking about experimenting to your liking. I like how the suspension feels as it rebounds :thumbups:

LOVING the new X3 paint job, awesome job as usual
    Thanks Humay! I very happy with the color of it. I was planning on using that color for the DP8 body as a McLaren GT-R, but I'll have to figure something else out for that body now

Yeah, the rebound is much better now, more instantaneous, with a smoother damping action. I actually was able to go back to the red/yellow (2.6) springs in back, and red/white (2.9) in front. I was using the XO-1 White/Blue (1.6) all around.

RC Champion
    Man, that X3-GT body looks awesome. Are those sweep tires and aka adapters? Looks like the wheels could come out more with that body.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion

No, tires and wheels are Ofna. I think the wheels are the right stance to the body, in that they don't get in the way with rubbing, allowing the body to sit lower and not scrubbing speed from the hard, fast corning action. This is typical of most competition on road cars. Function before form

The ones on the Gulf car, while hellaflush, look great, but rub like heck... So I have to jack up the body before running. I'm not a fan of that.
    Last edited by ViperZ; 07-03-2014 at 01:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Would you mind putting a picture up of the ofna wheels and tires. I really love the color of the x3-gt

RC Qualifier
    i sent you a pm ViperZ

RC Champion
    How do you run your bodies? I'd be scared to death of scratching them up!

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakesurfer98 View Post
    Would you mind putting a picture up of the ofna wheels and tires. I really love the color of the x3-gt
    Sure no problem, thanks! The color is Tamiya Camel Yellow PS-19, It's very close to the McLaren Mango Orange.

Left to right: Ofna wheels and tires, Sweep Wheels and treaded tire, Sweep wheels and slick tire

Ofna in the center

Ofna in the center

Ofna in the center

Quote Originally Posted by traxxasvxlbasher View Post
    i sent you a pm ViperZ
    Got it, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    How do you run your bodies? I'd be scared to death of scratching them up!
    I think it comes from many years of painting bodies for concourse competition at RC racing events, back when the rules were you had to run at least one race with the body after to be eligible to win. You also had to have a driver figure in the car while racing. Those were the old ROAR rule days.

Plus flying RC planes. You have to learn to deal with a +$1000 aircraft, you loving built, coming home in box smaller than it was shipped in, each and every time you fly

RC Champion
    I tried to paint a shadow line, but was not happy with the results. I need a better air compressor I think, or to thin out the pint a bit more. I could not get a consistent volume of spray, as the weight of color would change as I went along the line. Not sure if I'll try to recover, or start new... with more practice

RC Champion
    Try to recover it, it'll just make the shadow into more of a second color if you do a second coat with a better compressor.

RC Champion
    Too late, I removed the mask, wiped the body with alcohol. I was thinking a nice single metallic orange

We'll see, I think my compressor is good enough, maybe need a better regulator. I may also need to thin the paint a bit.

I'll turn to another body for the time being...

RC Champion
    Took the 3 Amigos (Road cars) out to my usual bashing location. Unfortunately the area was full of left over cars from an outdoor concert last night (Bryan Adams), so I had to go down the park into the police training grounds. The area was rough, as such I really couldn't let the cars unwind. So much so I didn't bother running the XO-1 as it would have just been asking for trouble and damage. As it was grip was a bit low due to it being cloudy, early morning so the pavement was cool. Still the car worked okay and I ran a few laps.

I took some video, but it may take a bit to edit and clean up. Overall the Rally/GT8 is running well, and fast. I may have to stiffen the suspension a little more as I suspected, and have new piston disks to try in the shocks. My new X3GT is an amazing car, I love the way it handles!

I was really looking forward to running the XO-1, but these things you have to be patient with. You can't force it or you get in trouble with regrets I will have to go scoping for a newly paved street to run it on.

The 3 Amigos loaded up

I've been building a few 1/10 Touring cars to go racing again with the club, so these big cars have not see much use. It was good to get them out, but I wished I really had a road course to race these on. That's what gives purpose to it all. Maybe I can talk the club into getting into 1/8 on road I have been asked to go to the off road club with my Ultimate and Rally, and may do that as well just for the great track the club has. It would be good to run on it!

RC Champion
    Man that X3GT looks amazing. Liking the body to Looks like a well built car. If I had the room and good roads to run on I'd be all over getting one.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Champion
    Thanks Stephan! Yeah as it is, space is limited in wide open Saskatchewan That's why I have been working on the 1/10 Touring cars. Racing on a track with others It gives me purpose, and makes me learn how to setup a car to be faster on the track. I miss this!

It's still good to have these big road cars to pull out from time to time, especially when I pull it out of the trunk of my car on a cruise night for entertainment The full size car guys really dig this

RC Champion
    Short video from today

awesome run ViperZ man....that X3GT is just sexy I did some run today as well but, I have to stop due to strong wind but, I manage to get couple runs which enough to make me happy, still lost few MPH and I think my fan might be the cause, next run I'm going to unplug the fan to see if that will bring my MPH back