Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    It was a snap using these ball end pliers. However you can just use a set of needle nose pliers as well, just bite on one side of the ball and the other side of the plastic con end, and you're good. Just be careful as many of the Traxxas balls have a larger flange on one side so you can only push it out one way.
    And I've been using my teeth lol. The build looks great! Your blower fan is backwards. Since it's an induction fan its most efficient working with the forward motion of the car. In all honesty the fan is completely unnecessary for a vehicle of this weight. I would have gone with the Traxxas 7075 aluminum towers since I have bent those 6061 strc towers. I hope you don't experience that on your build though. I really like those 2.8s with low profile street fighters. I'm going to have to use them on my P4de truggy.
    Pro-2 SCB 2xSuperMaxx Revo-E SCT410

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by SLW-SVT View Post
    And I've been using my teeth lol. The build looks great! Your blower fan is backwards. Since it's an induction fan its most efficient working with the forward motion of the car. In all honesty the fan is completely unnecessary for a vehicle of this weight. I would have gone with the Traxxas 7075 aluminum towers since I have bent those 6061 strc towers. I hope you don't experience that on your build though. I really like those 2.8s with low profile street fighters. I'm going to have to use them on my P4de truggy.

LOL on the teeth!

Thanks, I thought long and hard about that fan, in the end I went with the backwards Firebird Trans Am look because I though it would funnel less crap into the fan area. That's my story and I'm sticking to it

The STRC towers came with the Roller so, here I am... I also bought a set of STRC for my Ultimate so I guess I'm double screwed

I hope the wheels look proportioned to the Ford Focus body. They look a bit big on the Trucks. With knobbies, not bad, but the low profile really accentuate the wheel diameter.

New Page New Photos

RC Racer
    It looks amazing man it rele does doin a great job

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    It looks amazing man it rele does doin a great job
    Thanks BEvan! Who would think a Traxxas Rally might end up being a garage Queen? . I have a few more pretty parts for it but really I'm anxious to see how it goes with this power system in comparison to the MM2-2400kv in my Ultimate.

RC Racer
    Hey man no problem... what is the system you have in it right now and did you check out my other page?

RC Champion
    The turnbuckles acutally dont look too bright in that lighting.
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    Hey man no problem... what is the system you have in it right now and did you check out my other page?
    Rally
    • Mamba Monster 2 ESC
    • Neu-Castle 1512 - 2650kv 1/8 scale motor
    • 4500 mah 90c 4s Lipo

Ultimate
    • Mamba Monster 2 ESC
    • Neu-Castle 1415 - 2400kv 1/10 scale motor
    • 4000 mah 80c 3s Lipo

No I have not checked out your 1/16 thread yet but I will.

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    The turnbuckles acutally dont look too bright in that lighting.
    Yeah I'm getting use to all the color on both chassis now

A small update, I got the ESC mounted as I received the Traxxas mount today. It's the one in the background
    Last edited by ViperZ; 09-03-2013 at 11:09 PM.

RC Champion
    I had sort of wanted to try these Integy steel drive shafts. They look solid, time will tell how long they last. I noticed the suspension action is not as smooth as the Ultimate with the Traxxas steel shafts, so I may end up getting another set of those. These can then be spares in my parts box. we'll see how well they work.

Here are the Integy Shafts on the Rally

I love the Traxxas ones I installed on the Ultimate!

RC Champion
    Let me know if the traxxas ones hold up well.

RC Champion
    The action on the Traxxas ones are really smooth! The suspension has never felt better!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    how do you compare those GTR to your HR shocks?

great looking rigs, man.
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC | BackSl4sh Roadrunner |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    how do you compare those GTR to your HR shocks?

great looking rigs, man.
    Thanks man! I can't really say as I have not yet ran the HR shocks. However in bench tests I'm liking the stiffness of the coli springs especially for the Rally car operation. This should sharpen up road response, and minimize body roll over the GTR shocks. I understand a person can get stiffer springs for the GTR's so this would achieve the same objective of the stiffer springs. Even still I may be looking for a stiffer spring yet depending on how the whole assembly runs.

In damping response they seem pretty good in the press and release, time will tell.... My radio should be arriving shortly and I'll be able to take it for a test drive!

that sounds great!! I wanted to grub a set of slash 4x4 GTR but, instead I use my spare Summit GTR shocks, only difference is that all 4 shocks (summit) are the same length while slash GTR rear are taller but I have XO-1 shock towers so it make up the length

RC Champion
    that sounds great!! I wanted to grub a set of slash 4x4 GTR but, instead I use my spare Summit GTR shocks, only difference is that all 4 shocks (summit) are the same length while slash GTR rear are taller but I have XO-1 shock towers so it make up the length
    The X-01 towers are shorter in length I take it?

The X-01 towers are shorter in length I take it?
    yeah, I meant to say that lol.

RC Champion
    yeah, I meant to say that lol.
    The point came across

RC Champion
    My rear Integy drive shafts came in so I was excited to install them... They seemed ok, but I'm not totally happy with them in operation. They slightly bind the suspension action at times. I think this has to do with them being a fixed, non telescoping length. As such they rely on the dog bone shaft to slide in and out of the yoke at the diff casing. They can probably be made to work smoothly, but they could never be as trombone smooth as the Traxxas 8651/2R units. I placed some grease in the units and that helped. Needless to say I said screw it, and ordered up another set of 8651/2R's No sense playing around....

I cut and mounted up the Ford Focus body. I left the front lower than the cut out line for I plan to run this more on road than anything, and all images I've seen where they indicate to cut at the on road cut line makes the body look sort of goofy to me. Sure it prevents the body from hanging up during jumps and other off road what not's but I admit I am somewhat a slave to fashion and looks, so sue me I just hope it works okay with the extended front air dam. If not I can always trim it off I suppose. Now if only my hobby store would get a replenished supply of paints already...

The Integy Steel Drive Shafts

Installed

Focus body mounting

The overhang. That Pro-Line section was meant to be cut off. I just integrated it into the side fenders

RC Qualifier
    Hey bing....no paint on body action yet??...Lol....stop teasing....build is looking awesome...Im with you on the drive shafts... The traxxas ones are sweet and smooth...

RC Champion
    The Hobby store is all out of paint, other wise she would have a few coast already. Seriously, they are. I may head up there today to see what's new and see if they got some more..

Yeah, at first I thought I was imagining it when I installed the Traxxas shafts on my Ultimate. I was like "Whoa, these are so slick and the suspension feels so smooth!"

Then I installed these and realized it was not imagined... So much so I had to get another set

RC Qualifier
    The Hobby store is all out of paint, other wise she would have a few coast already. Seriously, they are. I may head up there today to see what's new and see if they got some more..

Yeah, at first I thought I was imagining it when I installed the Traxxas shafts on my Ultimate. I was like "Whoa, these are so slick and the suspension feels so smooth!"

Then I installed these and realized it was not imagined... So much so I had to get another set
    no way that's not on....do you know what colour scheme you have planned?
    yeah traxxas shafts are really smooth and well engineered...I couldn't use anything else after using them on my truck...that's why I went for the xo-1 set up for Aarons....been reading your plane blog all morning you are a preety amazing man....big thumbs up to you...and you just seem to make everything look and sound soooooooo easy.....thanks for read

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    no way that's not on....do you know what colour scheme you have planned?
    yeah traxxas shafts are really smooth and well engineered...I couldn't use anything else after using them on my truck...that's why I went for the xo-1 set up for Aarons....been reading your plane blog all morning you are a preety amazing man....big thumbs up to you...and you just seem to make everything look and sound soooooooo easy.....thanks for read
    Yes, I only hope the shafts can withstand the 4s power this rig is going to run... I like the X-01 setup you going with for the bolt through shaft.

Thanks on the blog and complement Simon! I haven't been updating it a frequently as I use to, but it is a good journal for my RC activities. Even I forget some of the stuff I have done and wrote about... It has been a fun journey!

RC Qualifier
    i know i only run 3s and ive had no problems what so ever....so i think you should be ok?....im not surprised you've forgot with all you have done and do....Lol....

RC Champion
    i know i only run 3s and ive had no problems what so ever....so i think you should be ok?....im not surprised you've forgot with all you have done and do....Lol....
    My mind only has so much storage space and has to start throwing stuff out to make room... The funny think is it's random as I can't pick or chose

So I stopped by the Hobby Store looking for paint.. No White or Black, the 2 colors I really need. I did get Translucent Smoke, Silver and a Metallic Rust (which could be interesting). The Smoke and Silver could make a nice gunmetal color as well.

RC Champion
    I have the Traxxas ones and beat the crap out of my slash and they hold up vey well.
    I did break one rear half shaft after getting hit a couple of times by my friends 1/8 scale buggy, but other than that they hold up great. I also run primarily 4s power with a mmp 2800kv setup.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Good to know that stand up well to 4s! I can;t wait to run this puppy up... Hopefully my receiver arrives soon!

RC Qualifier
    My mind only has so much storage space and has to start throwing stuff out to make room... The funny think is it's random as I can't pick or chose

So I stopped by the Hobby Store looking for paint.. No White or Black, the 2 colors I really need. I did get Translucent Smoke, Silver and a Metallic Rust (which could be interesting). The Smoke and Silver could make a nice gunmetal color as well.
    Are you sure its not an age thing?...Lol...older we get the less our minds store.... I really like the sound of metallic rust

RC Champion
    Are you sure its not an age thing?...Lol...older we get the less our minds store.... I really like the sound of metallic rust
    Totally with age

Yeah I seen the metallic rust and thought, I could work with it.....

Lower left

RC Qualifier
    That is actually a cool colour...what was the colour again??.....HeHeHe.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I have the Traxxas ones and beat the crap out of my slash and they hold up vey well.
    I did break one rear half shaft after getting hit a couple of times by my friends 1/8 scale buggy, but other than that they hold up great. I also run primarily 4s power with a mmp 2800kv setup.
    Thats good, but I only run on NIMH, lol.

Yeah I seen the metallic rust and thought, I could work with it.....
    Looks really cool!

RC Champion
    Thanks Sean!

Well after my speed runs with my Ultimate on 4s yesterday, I have learnt a lot and begun to rethink this whole Rally car... I'm not sure of its direction at this point, other than to say I felt the 4s in the Ultimate was too insane to be really practical fun.

I may stay with a 3s system and depending on how it runs on the 2650kv motor.

RC Champion
    I would see if you could get some sort of brace on that chassis, really helps the onroad handling and the strength.

RC Champion
    I would see if you could get some sort of brace on that chassis, really helps the onroad handling and the strength.
    I have a VG Racing brace coming for this build... However I'm not sure what I'm doing now. In a momentary lapse of reason, I thought this machine would be some top speed demon, loosing focus on the rally aspects of it.... I may have over speced the car, when I should have built a X0-1 or other longer wheel base GT8 car...

Oh well, Here I am, I'll move ahead and see where it goes.

I had to rob an outer rear bearing from this kit for my Ultimate, so I bougth a set of ARP Ceramic bearing for this kit. hopefully all trials I'm learning with the Ultimate will make this kit the fun machine I was envisoning, all be it not a top speed contender

Also I ordered a set of Kyosho Inferno GT2 tires in hopes they stay together better than the Road Rage ones I glued and are better set for speed runs. I maybe should have got a set of the X0-1 tires, but really what am I doing? I should just buy a X0-1 already and move on...

RC Qualifier
    Don't lose hope bing!!!!..... It's all good and your are like a chief tester for a new breed of super car....think those guys at pagani dont lose hope.??.....from what I have seen and read tires are a very big issue with speed runs...I think I read somewhere that belted tires are very good as are the xo-1 tire.....ask yourself this......what if you did just go out and get an xo-1??....

RC Champion
    Once again great post Simon!

At times I think about converting this to a GT8, however I'm not really fond of the bodies for this, they all look chubby and out of proportions, some more than others.. I've said before maybe it's something I have to get over and just deal with. It's not like the Focus is the best looking body either

Hmm, "If I was to go out and get an X0-1..." It would be great, except the body choices are limited as well... I think the X0-1 is very much like a Slash/Rally on steroids.. heh heh... I think the best if I was to assemble my own would be a Serpent Cobra GTe, or a Koyosho Inferno GT2 as a base, and then add the X0-1 undercarriage aero dynamics like Hum has done to his Rally. That would be sweet indeed as I could use more scale looking bodies.

Oh well, lots of time to sort this out as I keep plugging away with this Rally. I think it should still be a great speed weapon, just need to stop, pause and take some stock here.

RC Champion
    I would rather stay with the rally platform, It should handle really well with the right components.

RC Qualifier
    Kyosho inferno would be good a good starter....and they have some pretty good replica bodies....and yes please keep grinding away at your rally build....it will be a very special car

RC Qualifier
    Omg bing!!!!.....just seen this....it must be fate?.....Lol
    http://www.infernosonly.com/Kyosho_I.../kyoigb104.htm

RC Champion
    I would double check but I am pretty sure all of these bodies will fit the rally wheelbase and track.

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=15

RC Champion
    I would rather stay with the rally platform, It should handle really well with the right components.
    Well, I'm on this path now, so I may as well Stay the course

Kyosho inferno would be good a good starter....and they have some pretty good replica bodies....and yes please keep grinding away at your rally build....it will be a very special car
    Will Do!

Omg bing!!!!.....just seen this....it must be fate?.....Lol
    http://www.infernosonly.com/Kyosho_I.../kyoigb104.htm
    I've seen that one before, it's sweet!

I would double check but I am pretty sure all of these bodies will fit the rally wheelbase and track.

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=15
    Most 325mm will fit.. That link is exactly the bodies I'm not fond of for they are chubby and out of proportion. Thanks Though! I may have to bite the bullet and get one of these, begrudgingly...

I got my radio today for this build so now it can be controlled remotely!! I set it up and it seems really nice. More controls than I require, but still none the less nice to have. My Spectrum DX8 Airplane radio I use a lot of the programmable features, exponential, dual rates and mixing, but cars, I guess we'll see. Maybe when I do a Rock crawler of something with 4 wheel steering... LOL

I also received my Hot Racing Super Duty Slipper Clutch. This is a real nicely constructed unit, however it is totally custom, so replacement pads and friction plates need to come from Hot Racing. I just installed Hot Racing's Power Double Up Slipper clutch in the Ultimate, that one uses up to 6 OEM pads and a E-Revo friction plate, so parts are easily obtained... Just a consideration.

I also received my Traxxas sway bar kit, and will set about installing that.. Anyone following my thread read I blew a wheel bearing in my Ultimate and robbed one form the Rally. Well it looks like I'll need to rob it back so I can test it until I get my replacement bearings.

Futaba 4PLS

R304SB Telemetry Receiver beside a 17mm wheel nut

Hot racing's Super Duty Slipper Clutch

RC Champion
    Compared to the OEM Rally clutch

Assembled

Installed

Setup of the radio system

Binding

Ready to test... Tomorrow

Going to install my sway bar kit first