Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    RC Champion

ViperZ Rally Build

Hi All,

Started wandering over here from the Slash 4x4 forum and I'm hooked. I have a Slash Ultimate 4x4 that I have started modding. I was considering converting it from time to time for road and rally use, but then thought it best to just build another chassis.

My thread for that can be found here:

http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...ate-Great-Fun!

I'm going to start a Rally Build of my own seeing as I already have a Slash and am getting familiar with the construction and design of this unit. Also most parts are exchangable, so it made sense to go this route for now. I bougth a roller chassis off ebay that has only been ran a few times and comes with some upgrades already.

Highlights are:

• Tekno Drive Shaft
    • Hot Racing Aluminum Motor Mount
    • STRC Front & Rear Gun Metal Shock Towers
    • STRC Aluminum Steering Rack
    • STRC ESC Plate
    • RPM Arms and Axle Carriers
    • Patriot Steering Servo
    • Pro-Line Road Rage tires on Desperado 2.8 wheels
    • T-Bone Racing Front and Rear bumpers
    • Stock Orange and Black Rally Body with Keepers

I have ordered the Mamba Monster 2 / 2650kv motor, as well as a bunch of upgrades in suspension and chassis. I have a Pro-Line Ford Focus Body I plan to paint for it. As well it comes with the Rally Orange body.

I want to target this build as a versatile speed rocket that can be used on both pavement and dirt. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed

RC Champion
    I haven't received it yet, but it in the mail as are a continuous flow of parts for it and my Ultimate.

RC Qualifier
    Looks good! Ive been kinda looking at the rallys myself and want to build one too. I'll be following your thread to get pointers.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by RadReptiles831 View Post
    Looks good! Ive been kinda looking at the rallys myself and want to build one too. I'll be following your thread to get pointers.
    Thanks! I'm just going about this based on what I read, and what I like... I want to make it into a Rally Ultimate if you will. Just want to have some fun buying parts and assembling my own Frankenstein of a ride

I'm not so crazy on the wheels & tires the Rally is coming with, nor the paint scheme of the body , I may buy an unpainted Rally and do it like a Peugeot 208, or similar..

Sellers Photo

Sellers Photo

Sellers Photo

This is the Ford Focus I have for it... I'm not sure if I like the way the front looks as it boxy and wide, and overall shape is flat to squashed looking, but oh well.... Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I was planning on using these Road Rage tires and Split Six rims for pavement pounding or a set of HB Edge in Black Chrome

These Knuckles and Split Six for off road Rally use

RC Champion
    Looks good! Another one of your threads I will be following....
    Slash 4x4 LCG, Rusty VXL(not runnin), and my bike.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Looks good! Another one of your threads I will be following....
    Thanks Buddy!

RC Champion
    I need some help sorting out steel CVD drive shafts...

I already have a set of 17mm wheel adapters that I would like to use. I was considering the MIP XD shafts, however they require use of their own set screw adapters... So I was thinking the Traxxas Splined ones, however can only seem to find front 4x4 ones. I see listings for rear 2WD Splined ones. Will they fit?

What about the X-01 still shafts? Will they fit?

I'm sort of dragging my heels on the MIP or Teknos, only because I already have parts I want to use.

RC Racer
    how fast are you gonna try to get this thing to go???

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by BEvans454 View Post
    how fast are you gonna try to get this thing to go???
    70-80mph would be a success...

Or anything that puts a smile on my face

RC Champion
    Alrighty then... I ended up buying the Traxxas TRA6851R & TRA6852R Steel CVD drive shafts.. I think they might work

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
    Alrighty then... I ended up buying the Traxxas TRA6851R & TRA6852R Steel CVD drive shafts.. I think they might work
    they will work out fine, as long as you don't do high jumps on them or else the stubs will break (snap). did you also buy the aluminum hubs/carriers?
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Turnbuckle Jr. humayrayakongkinaon's Avatar

I don't know how fast mine is on 4s but, it sure is put a smile on my face
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoiDkaqGm4
    | Rally GT8 Powered By CC |

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by humayrayakongkinaon View Post
    they will work out fine, as long as you don't do high jumps on them or else the stubs will break (snap). did you also buy the aluminum hubs/carriers?
    I don't plan to do high jumps, but you know how things go....

I don't know how fast mine is on 4s but, it sure is put a smile on my face
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSoiDkaqGm4

That put a smile on my face

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    I use both of the Traxxas CVD's as you noted up there. Been on my Rally 4WD for several months now. I've had very good luck with them so far on 3S and 4S power with my ET-3S & ET-2400kv motor. Like mentioned staying on road they should be a-ok. Which you stated you planned to do that.

Hope you like them as well.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

RC Champion
    I went with the x0-1 takeoff axles, c-hubs, bearing carriers, and adaptors since they were $150 for all of it from dollarhobbyz.
    The slash version was $120-150 for just the axles and I wanted the aluminum parts as well, so x0-1 takeoffs were a better value for me. And I like the 17mm adaptor from the x0-1 since it uses a screw in pin and the center nut.

I beat the car up at the off road track and haven't had any issues. I did break one of the axle shafts bashing on the street and colliding with my buddy's 1/8 scale buggy a couple of times,

Broken part was only $6 but the rebuild kit was $18 since I lost a pin and had no pins that would fit. Rebuild kit has boots and pins to repair 2 axles.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Champion
    Yes, I have a bought a set of GHR Hub carriers, STRC Steering Blocks & Castor Blocks as well as 17mm Hub Adapters.

Quote Originally Posted by DiggerPede View Post
    I use both of the Traxxas CVD's as you noted up there. Been on my Rally 4WD for several months now. I've had very good luck with them so far on 3S and 4S power with my ET-3S & ET-2400kv motor. Like mentioned staying on road they should be a-ok. Which you stated you planned to do that.

Hope you like them as well.
    Thanks for that reassurance... I plan to keep it on road, but you know how situations can elevate... The odd jump here and there. Another forum user has them on his Slash 4x4 which he abuses fequently, with out problem

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    I went with the x0-1 takeoff axles, c-hubs, bearing carriers, and adaptors since they were $150 for all of it from dollarhobbyz.
    The slash version was $120-150 for just the axles and I wanted the aluminum parts as well, so x0-1 takeoffs were a better value for me. And I like the 17mm adaptor from the x0-1 since it uses a screw in pin and the center nut.

I beat the car up at the off road track and haven't had any issues. I did break one of the axle shafts bashing on the street and colliding with my buddy's 1/8 scale buggy a couple of times,

Broken part was only $6 but the rebuild kit was $18 since I lost a pin and had no pins that would fit. Rebuild kit has boots and pins to repair 2 axles.
    That's exactly what I was wanting to know if the X-01 parts would just bolt on.. Looks like they do and I may look should the need arise. I like the beefier set screw hubs. I noticed on my Ultimate since going to 3s operationand the 17mm hubs, I have broken 2 drive pins...

Thats a screaming price you got on those!

RC Champion
    The axles go for around $70, $50 for all the aluminum parts with bearings, and the adapters are $20.
    I build all of my cars using take off parts from dollarhobbyz and other chop shops on eBay.

I used to bash the car in this configuration with the x0-1 parts on 4s and had no issues

I used the new 12mm x0-1 hexes that were released a few months ago to mount the trenchers.
    Last edited by Zepher; 08-22-2013 at 02:06 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I wanted to pull the gun on that rally, but decided not to. Good buy....

RC Racer

that shouldn't be to hard as soon as u pull one of those beasts out of ur house you probably have a smile on ur face

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by kz9 View Post
    I wanted to pull the gun on that rally, but decided not to. Good buy....
    Yeah, it was too good to pass-up And I really needed one

that shouldn't be to hard as soon as u pull one of those beasts out of ur house you probably have a smile on ur face
    True, True

RC Racer
    lol see told you

RC Champion
    lol see told you
    Yup, I'd be smiling more once the stuff gets here!!

RC Champion
    Wonder how that focus body is going to look like with tbone front bumper???

RC Champion
    Wonder how that focus body is going to look like with tbone front bumper???
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm taking those bumpers off, but I'll post some photos up with it before I do

RC Champion
    Seeing as I needed a radio for this I ended up buying a Futaba 4PL for it. It Should be a nice upgrade over the TQi....

RC Champion
    It should be, are you going to use the traxxas servo?

RC Champion
    It should be, are you going to use the traxxas servo?
    It comes with a Patriot Steering servo, with 150oz of torque, so I'll see how that works before I decide.

RC Racer
    It comes with a Patriot Steering servo, with 150oz of torque, so I'll see how that works before I decide.
    How much was that thing???

RC Qualifier
    whoa...4pl...now ur getting serious...i'm coveting one of those too...i run a 3PM-X right now...and really like it...but seeing the new futaba...coveting it...

RC Champion
    How much was that thing???
    $220

Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    whoa...4pl...now ur getting serious...i'm coveting one of those too...i run a 3PM-X right now...and really like it...but seeing the new futaba...coveting it...
    Thanks but its still a mid grade radio... A highly rated one, but not in the same class as the 4PKS, or Airtronics M12... The price was right and I know it won't be my last car radio

RC Champion
    Let me know how that mounting plate is, I need one for mine, right now I am using a piece of lexan and doesn't work all that well.

RC Champion
    Let me know how that mounting plate is, I need one for mine, right now I am using a piece of lexan and doesn't work all that well.
    Mounting plate for the ESC? I'm not sure if I'll use it as the Mamba Monster 2 ESC bolts more forward in the tray using the Traxxas mount. It may still fit under there if it does that would be great as it would act as a heat sink too!

The Traxxas MM2 is a cool mount that makes the Monster Mamba seem designed for the Ultimate

Mounted in my Ultimate

Got some parts for the Rally and Slash Parts bin

Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-29-2013 at 03:47 PM. Reason: content

RC Qualifier
    whoa...those wheels look nice...can't wait to see them on the rally...

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by IvVaum View Post
    whoa...those wheels look nice...can't wait to see them on the rally...
    Thanks IvVaum, I'm looking forward to it as well. I would like to try a set of Kyosho GT2 but these will do for now.

RC Champion
    Those Hot Bodies wheels look very good, I've got a couple of pairs that came from my HPI buggy's,

RC Champion
    Have you thought about looming your wires?

I loomed the led wires on my erevo,

RC Champion
    Yes. I actually have various rolls of sleeving, and considered it. But then I though it would take extra cleaning effort to get grit out from between the wires and expands mesh sleeve. I decided to forgo at this point.

RC Qualifier
    Yes. I actually have various rolls of sleeving, and considered it. But then I though it would take extra cleaning effort to get grit out from between the wires and expands mesh sleeve. I decided to forgo at this point.
    My thoughts exactly....that servo guard sleeve is a nightmare to clean and looks awful when dirty....i was the same...contemplated on sleeving my wires....then thought Oooooooooo......all that brading to clean....not good... Lol....very impressive progress viperZ.....and it's looking great

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by simon32man View Post
    My thoughts exactly....that servo guard sleeve is a nightmare to clean and looks awful when dirty....i was the same...contemplated on sleeving my wires....then thought Oooooooooo......all that brading to clean....not good... Lol....very impressive progress viperZ.....and it's looking great
    Thanks Simon!

I can appreciate the work into using the sleeving. I wouldn't mind covering my LED cords, but it just seemed like more trouble than it was worth for me at this time. For the other wires I prefer the look of color silicone power wires

I got mixed bag of parts for the Rally and Ultimate today. I been looking more and more at the Ford Focus body, and I'm not sure I really like it that much. The back is nice, but there is something about the front I'm just not keen on....

RC Champion
    I seen these Hot Racing shocks and decided to give them a try on the Rally... If anything I liked the look of them. They seem to have a high spring rate so I hope they allow me to get a lower ride height equal to the GTRs on the Ultimate.

If not I'll swap them out with the GTR's or try something else. We installed the Losi Ten SCTE dampers on my friend's Slash last night. They look like a nice shock for the price as well!