RC poster

adjusteble strut on spartan?Dry after use? question before i buy the boat :)

Hi!

I have a few question about the traxxas spartan boat before i buy it!

I have reed that many get chinewalk With a Stock boat on 5-6s lipo.
    The thing we must do is to get the strut higher up.
    Have the spartan adjusteble strut or must it be bent? Im afraid to do something wrong to broke it.

How could i adjust the strut so i dont get chinewalk when i use lipo battery?
    I also reed on Google that the Tools that in the Box cannot be use to adjust the strut?

If i use Electric tape to the Hatch, will the boat be emty of water after run? or what must i do so the boat dosent take in water after running? I will grease the flex for each run

Thanks for replay, i want to know this Things before i drive to the store and buy the boat.
    Any thing that is a weak point on the New model With Castle Electronic?

RC Qualifier
    The Traxxas Spartan has an adjustable strut that you can adjust with the tools that come with your boat. The best way to keep chine walk from acting up is moving the batteries forward which puts more boat in the water therefore making it more stable. Then adjust your strut DOWN as needed. Too much though and you will get torque roll and stress on the electronics. On 6S the water cooling jacket starts to leak out some water. To prevent this you can just buy an aluminum water cooling jacket. I have nit seen the need for hatch tape it keeps most of the water out. You might want to seal up the vents in the back though. When I flip mine on 6S the hatch sometimes comes off. A precaution would simply be some tape on the front and back. But I don't bother with it.

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC poster
    Thank you for the answers, I dont understand where it could leak on 6s? isnt the rudder water inlet of aluminum?
    Do you not need to tape to not get to much water inside when it flips? Or is it a sealer on the Hatch?

I maby want to go to 5s setup to make sure i dont get heat trouble?
    Do you know where i could buy that part that does so it not leaks water when driving on 6S?

I also want to know how the two grips behind on the Hatch take in water or not? it not looks easy to use tape because of the two grips behind on the boat

RC Qualifier
    On 6s, the water pressure in the cooling system increases due to the higher speed. This pressure can make your stock jacket leak. As for tape, I don't get any water in the hull and I don't tape mine. I've only flipped it over once and it just floated upside down. It never filled with water or anything. As for the tabs in the back, they do make it hard to tape the hatch. I don't get any water in through there except when I use reverse. When you use reverse, it throws water up into those tabs and down two little holes in the hull. I just sealed those holes up with some electrical tape from the underside and now I get no water in the hull when I use reverse.

RC Qualifier
    I use 6S and I have not had any problems with heating or performance. If you want to go the advertised 50mph you have to use 6S.

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC poster
    Hi and thanks for all replays.

Now i understand water is not a problem if i change out the water cooling on the motor, is this a leak problems of all Stock spartan with castle version?

I must order the aluminum water cooling Upgrade and wait 2-3 weeks to get it delivered, i will try the boat first, is it something i could so it not leaks water? What if i use the Stock nimh battery or run 5s?`

What if i buy a silicone and glue around the water hose on the couplings or is it not there the problem is? is it inside the cooling jacket?
    Last edited by Roy92; 08-21-2013 at 11:01 AM.

RC Qualifier
    It is around where the jacket meets the motor. And it is common for all of the Spartans to leak. It swells up in that area then sprays out. I have not upgraded because I do not mind pouring water out of the boat when I bring it back to shore to check the temps. But thats just me. One good upgrade that I put on is a larger diameter cooling lines. The stock nimh batteries do not leak on my boat at least. I am not sure about 5S and the jacket does not leak that much.

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC poster
    I will Upgrade the jackets later, but this issue is only when the boat is going fast enough like 6s? I could run it on nimh without any leaks to the jacket?
    My English is not so good, but you mean the Silicon jacket swells up of the pressure and thatwhy it leaks?
    But this is not an issue if you drive around about 30-40mph?
    If that is right then i will Upgrade it before i try 6s.

I have found a leopard water jackets that to fit LBP3660 and LBP3650
    the diameters is40mm inside,43mm outside,40mm lenght,2mm thick.
    Will this fit the stock spartan motor or should i look after another jacket?

RC Racer
    You need a water jacket that has a 36mm diameter and about a 60mm length. The stock jacket leaks because it is made of a soft rubber. The boat will be fine on 6s without changing it, but you might get some water inside. All you have to do is dump it out and dry the inside when you're done. A lot of people use the stock jacket, but the metal ones sure look cool. I only changed mine to metal, because it was cheap and I was doing other cooling upgrades. Just get your boat and drive it a few times, then you'll start realizing what upgrades you'd like to do.

RC poster
    Ok, how much water do we talk about? a spoon or a glass of water?
    I will change it when i got 6s battery, but im afraid to get water insde the boat because my last boat dosent like it and the motor and servo got broken.
    So i wonder if i could use the stock jacket only with nimh battery to not get leaks or i could go up to 5s without leak.
    Is it not anything to glue or do a mod to the stock to remove the leak?

Yes, i will do it but im going to find out the leaks before i put it in the water for the first time

RC Racer
    The water jacket might leak a couple spoon fulls on average. Some don't have issues, so you have to see how yours is. The amount of water from the jacket will not hurt your waterproof electronics at all. Just run on 6s and you'll be fine.

RC poster
    Thank you for the help.

I have another question about battery packs.
    The store that i could buy from have traxxas battery with 25c.
    How many c must the traxxas spartan have to not get issues with the electroinc or the battery packs?

Will the spartan go fine on 1x3s 5000mAh - 25C - Traxxas TRX-2872 Li-Po and 1x 2s 5000mAh - 25C -Traxxas TRX-2868 Li-Po
    so i run it first on 5s? The only difference i see is that the 3s pack is red and the 2s pack is blue.. I think the 25c is to little or have it nothing to say?

I also find a red jacket that should fit 36mm motor and its 60mm long, its made of tfl hobby, could that fit the Castle traxxas motor? It looks like the water outlet is a bit small but i dont know, i will upload a pics of it

Thanks alot for help

RC Racer
    Yes that water jacket will work and the batteries will work as well; however, I would recommend some batteries with a higher C rating. My Traxxas batteries didn't last very long, but I'm sure others have had good luck. I just personally wouldn't go with anything less than a 40C battery. The Traxxas batteries are under rated from what I've been told. For getting 5s, you just have to make sure that both batteries have the same C rating and mAh rating. It's probably best to use the same brand as well.

RC poster
    Hello. I see the traxxas came with a spartan lipo edition and there it looks like its 3s with 25c. So i think its ok but i understand you recommend higher c. Its strange the traxxas dosent make higher c on the batteries.

I have not buy it yet! I cant take the choice! I wonder how flexible/thin the hull is? Is it thin or thick stiff like a fiberhull?
    All store around here have it in stock with plastic on the box and no one will open it and no one have it as a show model.

I have reed a lot of it and its look like it only need a new water jacket upgrade when it should run on 6s.

How the hull feels or work, about how stiff/fat it is or is it thin and flexible?

I looked at youtube that people modified the rudder water hole, is it nesceseary? I dont want to drill or destroy the rudder before i use the new boat so i wonder if i could just have it stock or is it a small hole on all models?

Thanks for all answer that i could get.

It have nothing to say for me if it glasfiber or plastichull but i dont want a crap plastic hull thats feel poor and thin like a poor hbx wildseeker if you know what i mean
    Last edited by Roy92; 08-27-2013 at 03:33 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The hull is certainly thin plastic but it doesn't feel like its going to snap in half if you hit a wave. It's strong enough for a lot of people but it will crack and shatter if you hit something hard enough. That's why I'm building a fiberglass hull so that people can upgrade.

RC Champion
    HULL is fairly durable I've hid dock a few times with no splitting or issues
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4