RC poster

Traxxas needs to make a mini spartan

Scaled down spartan with vxl 3m setup in it!

RC Enthusiast
    Erm....... No.

Why scale down when you can scale up?
    I want a boat I can put the kids in.

RC Qualifier
    It would be kind of cool to have something that looks as cool as a Spartan but something that could be run in a pool or small pond.

RC Racer
    Pro boat has their 9" models now. They look pretty cool, but I haven't found any videos of them running yet. Maybe if they're successful Traxxas might consider something, but I doubt it. I would like a cat style hull from Traxxas that has the same internals as the Spartan.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    Pro boat has their 9" models now. They look pretty cool, but I haven't found any videos of them running yet. Maybe if they're successful Traxxas might consider something, but I doubt it. I would like a cat style hull from Traxxas that has the same internals as the Spartan.
    I totally agree. The idea behind the Spatan is great and its got some serious power but a 36" vee can't handle it all. A 36" or even a 42" cat would be sick and you could really put the power to the water.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    I totally agree. The idea behind the Spatan is great and its got some serious power but a 36" vee can't handle it all. A 36" or even a 42" cat would be sick and you could really put the power to the water.
    The V handles great and planes better than the Cat. I have the 34" Venom EKOS with a leopard 2200/Seakin 180a on 4s and is comparible until the top end of the spartan. but sits much deeeper and does not handle the wake as well. dives into athe water and submarines much easier. Although the hulls on the cats are always easier to tape up lol.

On the top of the OP, I would +1 for a larger boat from Traxxas first ( ~55") but a mini would be cool also.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Champion
    I'd like to see slightly larger, 4-6" longer, 2-3" wider, DUAL drives, 1-LH, 1-RH, still 6s, build the bottom with a small flat pad at rear to run on. the dual drives would lighten the torque on each motor and be considerable easier on batteries along with longer run time.
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Guys it's called a modified Blast.... dual VXL system, lipo, size down the prop shaft stuff and it might work... I am thinking of getting a Blast, I wish they still made the electric Villain.... I almost bought the Villain before I got my Spartan but they stopped selling it... Glad I waited for V2 of the Spartan!

RC Qualifier
    mini spartan would be SICK! But im also liking the idea of a bigger boat also. Traxxas needs to get in the water passed theyre knees and make more boats!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I want Traxxas to make one, so that I can play with it in my bathtub along with my Mr. Bubbles. (lol)

RC Champion
    Single drive single prop is much easier. If your worried about stress to the motor and its bearings get a thrust bearing.
    I also dont think two motors would be any easier on a battery. its going to be amp hungry.

Flat pad at the rear would count it out as a V-hull.

The boat is designed and produced intended for the NiMHs included. I havent seen any change since including lipos either.

A Blast is not a comparible boat in any water to the Spartan IMO, neither in it's size or robustness, or in capabilities.
    Everything overpowered...

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by QYKSLVR View Post
    Single drive single prop is much easier. If your worried about stress to the motor and its bearings get a thrust bearing.
    I also dont think two motors would be any easier on a battery. its going to be amp hungry.

Flat pad at the rear would count it out as a V-hull.

The boat is designed and produced intended for the NiMHs included. I havent seen any change since including lipos either.

A Blast is not a comparible boat in any water to the Spartan IMO, neither in it's size or robustness, or in capabilities.
    A pad would definitely not count it out as a v hull. There are thousands of 1:1 vees out there with pads and they are still vees.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    A pad would definitely not count it out as a v hull. There are thousands of 1:1 vees out there with pads and they are still vees.
    Exactly! My 1:1 is a V hull and is flat in the rear. Now incorporating that into a Spartan or similar wouldn't work. The Spartan has to maintain the V from front to back, because when it is up to speed there is only a small area at the rear that is actually wet. If it was flat at the rear, then the handling would go away. They could make the boat sit deeper in the water, but then you'd loose your speed.

RC Qualifier
    Exactly! My 1:1 is a V hull and is flat in the rear. Now incorporating that into a Spartan or similar wouldn't work. The Spartan has to maintain the V from front to back, because when it is up to speed there is only a small area at the rear that is actually wet. If it was flat at the rear, then the handling would go away. They could make the boat sit deeper in the water, but then you'd loose your speed.
    What's your 1:1?

RC Racer
    It's a Nautique wake boarding boat.

RC Qualifier
    Hey Carnes99, do you run it in salt water? My neighbors have one and it has roughly 26 hours and it's constantly getting parts replaced. We HAD a Malibu Wakestarter or Wakesetter and it pretty much yearly overhauls with parts. Not saying Malibu's or Nautiqu or better so don't take any offense...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
    Hey Carnes99, do you run it in salt water? My neighbors have one and it has roughly 26 hours and it's constantly getting parts replaced. We HAD a Malibu Wakestarter or Wakesetter and it pretty much yearly overhauls with parts. Not saying Malibu's or Nautiqu or better so don't take any offense...
    I used to run it in salt a couple of times a week, before I was in a wheelchair, so that was a couple years. I've been really particular about the maintenance, and never had a problem due to salt. It's eaten up the trailer a little bit. I have around 460 hours on it, and the only thing I've replaced is the low pressure fuel pump. Anything else replaced was just regular maintenance. I'm a fan of nautiques, but malibu's and mastercraft's are on the same playing field. Sometimes when you don't use them often, they tend to break more. 26 hours isn't very much, but I don't know how long he's had it. BTW, it's a wake setter not starter!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points. Also, let's try to keep this thread on topic!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-23-2013 at 08:24 AM.

RC Qualifier
    I used to run it in salt a couple of times a week, before I was in a wheelchair, so that was a couple years. I've been really particular about the maintenance, and never had a problem due to salt. It's eaten up the trailer a little bit. I have around 460 hours on it, and the only thing I've replaced is the low pressure fuel pump. Anything else replaced was just regular maintenance. I'm a fan of nautiques, but malibu's and mastercraft's are on the same playing field. Sometimes when you don't use them often, they tend to break more. 26 hours isn't very much, but I don't know how long he's had it. BTW, it's a wake setter not starter!

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points. Also, let's try to keep this thread on topic!

Alright thanks for replying, I was just curious. He has had it for about a year so I am guessing it's a near lemon boat... MY knowledge of our previous ski boats shows how much I wasn't in to them. Always been more of a Cig boat person, all the neighbors got them, everybody that has one in the neighborhood races them, our current top speed is 169.8! The owner of that Cig boat is referred to as OffShore Cowboy and he loves my Spartan more than I do. He has even offered to buy it from me but I turned him down for some odd reason.. Sorry cooleocool, don't mean to create incorrect threading! I have looked into other rc boats, but after a few years the Spartan won my wallet. I am a happy Traxxas RC owner most of the time!!! Traxxas, would you guys make a longer version of the older Villain models? I loved their style, just needed better internals and longer hull! I might buy one as a shelf piece soon. I guess you could call me a Traxxas Fanboy since I turn my head up at other RC brands. I live in TX so it's nice that y'all have a home office out in Plano. Anyways thank you Traxxas!

RC Enthusiast
    I think they should make some sort of a mini boat... I want a Spartan bad but as it would be my first boat I am hesitant at buying a 3 foot boat... Just my two cents.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardN88 View Post
    I think they should make some sort of a mini boat... I want a Spartan bad but as it would be my first boat I am hesitant at buying a 3 foot boat... Just my two cents.
    IMO bigger boats are easier. A smaller boat is more responsive and sensitive to minor trim changes. A bigger boat will somewhat mask poor driving and pore trim settings. RC boats start to become a lot of fun around 20mph IMO and the Spartan is pretty rock solid at 20. A smaller boat would be a hand full.

RC Qualifier
    BoardN68, get a Spartan! I love my Spartan for more than my Summit! You may think that you want something smaller and cheaper but the Spartan has easy handling. Think little boat on big waves, then think big boat on big waves. I have a neighbor that runs an old Villain EX with a dual Velenion 380 system and it doesn't take waves easy as my Spartan, he has plenty of trim tabs. Long story short buy a Spartan, get dual cooling rudder from OSE with another water outlet and you will love it! Ps: make sure you get V2 of the Spartan...
    PM for info.....