RC Qualifier

Diff. oil - what weight is best compromise?

Don't want to seal the diff.

Don't want it to come out right away.

Do want thick enough to stop truck from diff'ing out on carpet track in tight turns.

Don't want it too thick to negatively impact handling.

What say you?

is 500,000 too much?

RC Qualifier
    You can't satisfy all of the wants on your list without sealing the diff. Anything under 300k will pump out almost immediately, and anything that heavy will negatively impact handling on a high grip surface. You need to work on suspension tuning to keep that inside rear tire on the ground. Diff oil isn't going to solve the problem.

RC Qualifier
    Suspension tuning is tough in a stock Slash class. Can't change springs, can't add sway bars.

Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    Suspension tuning is tough in a stock Slash class. Can't change springs, can't add sway bars.
    Why?
    I change springs all the time, I even bought a spring kit for my shocks,and even tho I dont use them sway bars are available for the slash also.

If you were to purchase a sealed diff or seal the stock one,then you can experiment with lubes.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    My wife hates it but I love It.

RC Qualifier
    Racing.

In a "stock" Slash class.

An aftermarket sealed diff is illegal.

Sway bars are illegal.

Aftermarket springs are illegal.

Rebuilding your stock diff. is legal and thus my only real option. Thanks for the link, I'll see what my best option is to fill my diff.

Quote Originally Posted by .crispy View Post
    Racing.

In a "stock" Slash class.

An aftermarket sealed diff is illegal.

Sway bars are illegal.

Aftermarket springs are illegal.

Rebuilding your stock diff. is legal and thus my only real option. Thanks for the link, I'll see what my best option is to fill my diff.
    If this is the case I hope your running against other slash trucks, if not your in trouble.
    The slash is buy far my favorite rc,I have a few and dont think twice about investing a lot of cash in them.
    However the simple fact is,their not competitive against a lot if the born racers in the stock class.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Just Slash. Don't know of many tracks around here that have a plain stock class. Too many variations in what is stock from one maker to the next to make for fair race.

I've got the shocks on the outer most position and the spacers off. So the truck sits pretty low.

Don't remember it doing this when I last raced.

How tight should I run the slipper on indoor carpet?

RC Qualifier
    outer most on top or bottom ? sag is good , at least I have a bunch in my setup . the slipper is another area that I find best suits your talent . for me I run enough that in higher traction spots on the track the slipper breaks free . but this is something that I constantly fine tune throughout the day . as for diff oil , I personally tried it and hated the results . I shimmed the diff and found that worked for me .

RC Qualifier
    Outermost on the bottoms. The tops are fixed. I got a lot of sag.

You touched on something that I hadn't thought about. When I last raced the Slash I was just starting. Since then I've run on-road and am to the point of being a very good VTA racer. I noticed that I was wheeling the Slash around the track much better than I ever had before. Maybe my driving style is the reason for the perceived change in how the diff acts...?

What results in the diff oil did you not like? Did it cause the Slash to corner like a pig?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Isotope View Post
    You can't satisfy all of the wants on your list without sealing the diff. Anything under 300k will pump out almost immediately, and anything that heavy will negatively impact handling on a high grip surface. You need to work on suspension tuning to keep that inside rear tire on the ground. Diff oil isn't going to solve the problem.
    this here is some great advice .pack the diff maybe with some fresh grease . the diff oil is my least favorite thing to clean out of a case . keep on the suspension tuning side of things . can you swap oil in the shocks ? pistons ? I have a pile of shocks and parts for fine tuning and every weight of oil you can think of . sneak a peak at some of the faster guys setups .

RC Qualifier
    I've got 50 and 60 in there. Don't remember which was front and which was rear. Still has the two hole pistons.

PM me if ya wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh PA
    Try some 500k wt. Just fill the diff 1/4 full. I am running my stock unsealed diff this way, and it is working fine. Just a little has seeped out over the last 4 months. The less you use, the more open the diff will be. Make sure to open the gearbox every month or so to get the little bit of diff oil that does seep out off of the gears. I cant really get the diff very stiff without big seepage, but if I keep the diff 1/4 filled or under it is staying in really well.
    Wanna bash at Greenwood Bashplex in Pittsburgh ???