Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSK1 View Post
    Spent a couple hours making steel ends for the axles on my Summit today. Running brushless on 6s keeps tearing the pins out of the holes at the axle ends. I've yet to twist the plastic shafts. So I cut the ends off, drilled a 10mm hole to accept my custom ends. Adds some weight but will never break or pull the pin out. Got the idea from LEM's aluminum axles.
    Total cost $0.00. Just some time.
    Can't wait to try and break them. Thinking my diff's will shred the gears first, I mean again.
    Anyone else find a good mod for the drive axles? I've read mip axles aren't to much better than stock.
    Also made no slop brass inserts to help limit wheel wobble. Better than using shrink wrap or plumbers tape. Only movement comes from the bearings now.
    Pics?? Wanna see what you did

Quote Originally Posted by i killed kenny View Post
    Not a thing... Out of the year and a half that I've owned mine I could count how many times I've driven It on one hand... It's a great rig, it's just that I have no one to crawl with anymore.... My friend that did.... Well he's in a better place now...
    Sorry to hear that news.
    That for sure removes some fun out of it.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    Hoping his name wasn't Kenny.
    That was an awesome reply.....too funny. Poor Kenny!!
    SUMMIT, SUMVO, ERBE, EMAXX & REVO 3.3

RC Enthusiast
    Does lem have a website like to see what they got

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RYNO87 View Post
    Does lem have a website like to see what they got
    They do, but the last I looked they didnt have it up and running.

LEM = Leading Edge Machining

http://leadingedgemachining.net/index.htm

http://leadingedgemachining.net/forum/activity.php

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks, ill keep checking it. Is there any LEM dealers for now

RC Qualifier
    Thanks, ill keep checking it. Is there any LEM dealers for now
    Not that I am aware of.........I assume it will be like HPP and have to order direct.

RC Racer
    fixed(kinda) my servos and went for a trail crawl by a lake. One servo had stripped a gear and another would kill the truck if it wasn't centered. I don't know how to fix the one bogging down the ESC but I pulled the gears from a non responsive one I had, to fix the stripped one. So, I have one good servo, and a Futaba S3003(useless-57oz@6v). It's time to research aftermarket servos...
    I cambered and toed my hubs for bashin with an 1/8 4x4 buggy tomorrow, and re-glued my old Canyons for tomorrows trail crawl. These Big Joes don't crawl worth a flip!
    Last edited by Deviate; 10-07-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC poster
    ErbeSummit, pictures coming. I work 12hr+ a day so it may take a day or two. I only have an ipad and ios7 is causing me a lot of grief. If you would like I could email pictures right away though.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ErbeSumm View Post
    Hoping his name wasn't Kenny.
    Now that is funny, but just disrespectful. I offer my sincere condolences to you for your loss.
    2 custom Nitros
    Rustler VXL
    Mamba Monster Summit

RC Enthusiast
    Lol did an accidental cliff jump today not big but it flipped all the way to the bottom. Only thing that broke was the front and rear bumper mounts guess its time to order ones from rpm

RC Qualifier

What did you do to your Summit today?

Looked at it some today....dreaming about finding free time to get back out. Gonna have to make some free time! Over a week without driving it I'm going through withdrawals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RC poster

Custom made drive axle cups. Made out of old discarded hydraulic fittings. Will never break these!

RC Enthusiast
    Removed all the leds didnt like how they performed so figured why waste the power. Also is anyone else having issues with high/low linkage notice it goes into low great but hangs up going into high ends up in neutral

Also is anyone else having issues with high/low linkage notice it goes into low great but hangs up going into high ends up in neutral
    Ya, mine does that too. I just deal with it.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by ViperSK1 View Post

Custom made drive axle cups. Made out of old discarded hydraulic fittings. Will never break these!

Do those custom made drive axle cups thread into the axles? Let us know how they wear on the axle pins please.

RC Racer
    Trail crawling at a lake, after the trail crawl, I swapped the wheels from Canyons on Geodes to Big Joes on Oversize Axial 8-Spoke Beadlocks for a bash in a huge grassy field down the street from the trail.

RC Competitor
    Went for a quick run tonight!

Summit, Slash 4x4 Platinum, Revo 3.3, T-MaxxPro-15

RC poster
    Yes, I left the threads (tapered pipe threads). Just drilled out the axle through the solid part just enough to thread in. Then I drilled a hole through the axle and threaded part of the cup/fitting so I could put a split spring pin in. This will stop the cup from threading out or stripping out. Also adds strength.
    The axle pins are very hard but I did peen each side so that they will never come out unless I grind the end off. I am still using the little 3x3mm set screws for added peace of mind. So far no slop or wear.
    I looked through the local hardware store and saw some brass pipe fittings for $0.65 that would work very well. Plus brass is easier the work with.
    I have step by step pictures. If you would like to see them I can send you a bit of a right up. It's really an easy mod, takes about 1-1/2hrs to do all 8.

RC Racer
    Hi viper looks like you had a great idea there I was thinking of turning something on my lathe out of stainless. It would be great if you can email me some pics of what you did. I would just like t compare. Thanks and my email is cgenovese83@gmail.com

RC poster
    Chrisg81083, I'm having major troubles with ios7, now my email is compromised. I don't want to send you a virus so I'll try and create a link to my photobucket acc. for you. My first try so here it goes.....

http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/ViperSK1/slideshow/

Hope this works out.

Next time I'll make them much thinner, no need to go as thick on the cup as I did.
    Last edited by ViperSK1; 10-11-2013 at 11:56 AM.

RC Champion

what i did to my summit today

took off a push rod for messurments then put it back on. put the shell on and admired the beauty of him and his size. then told him that he well be running by the eve of next wensday

finally getting parts in!...lol
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Racer
    Replaced an inner wheel bearing with a stock bearing from my hobby shop. I haven't found a good deal on ceramic ones yet... My front lower pillowball keeps coming out of the control arm. I was running around a big parking lot and it just flopped out. I should have checked it after my earlier run in the backyard jumping into and crashing through my old moving boxes. That was a blast kicking those boxes around and jumping through a stack of em.

I just found out I have a bad steering servo...
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC Champion
    Found a good setup (1/2 Turn) for my slipper and also got a 13T pinion. 12T was little to slow for my 2400 KV Brushless System and 14T was little bit too fast. I like my setup now.

- Proline Trencher X
    - Hobbywing WP-SC8 ESC (Punch Set to 3)
    - Castle 1415 2400 KV Motor
    - Slipper 1/2 Turn
    - 13/68 Gearing

RC Qualifier

All cleaned up.
    PM for info.....

RC Qualifier

The thing with Summit is that it takes you places.

No other RC can do this better....IMO.
    Ha Ling Peak, near the Summit.

Looking over the pass toward the Rundle Range

Looking down towards the Goat Creek Valley

4 hr hike to the top.
    4 packs SPC 8200s with mah to spare.
    Awesome day!
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.

A beautiful thing.great pics she looks right at home

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Absolutely. Great pics and great backdrop. Wish I had that where I live!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RC Racer
    Was going to post a pic or two of what I've been up to... But after SwitchBlade's post mine will just read "boring boring boring, then I went to boring and boring boring boring"

RC Champion
    Epic!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by clinical View Post
    Was going to post a pic or two of what I've been up to... But after SwitchBlade's post mine will just read "boring boring boring, then I went to boring and boring boring boring"
    When a summit is involved,it's never a bad pic.lol some are very fortunate to have the terrain to show what these trucks are really capable of.

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Enthusiast
    Stock 775 motor toast one of the magnets exploded. Hope the dewalt motor lasts longer. Stocker only lasted a month!

RC Champion
    Stock 775 motor toast one of the magnets exploded. Hope the dewalt motor lasts longer. Stocker only lasted a month!
    Go brushless

A miled brushless system is just so much more effective

RC Enthusiast
    Thinking about goin with a hobbywing 150a esc and 2200kv sensored motor but but not sure at this point

RC Champion
    Thinking about goin with a hobbywing 150a esc and 2200kv sensored motor but but not sure at this point
    Perfect Combo for the Summit but not Waterproof. I now use the Hobbywing Waterproof-SC8 and Castle 1415 2400 KV Motor. With proper gearing (eg. 12/68) i can go pretty slow in first gear and almost double fast in 2nd gear as with 775 on 4s.

I already owned this combo so I gave it a try in the summit and it works pretty well. But i don't do very slow crawling. Just a little bashing, trailing, extreme terrain stuff and so on.

If I again had the choice I would get the hobbywing 150a esc and 2200kv sensored combo and use a shroud for better water protection.

EDIT: But be pepared to break parts more often and set slipper porperly. On the second run with my BL Combo, Trencher X on grass with slipper set to tight i broke a half shaft. Now with slipper set to 1/2 turn nothing broke so far.

I thinks the Summit definitely has the potential to be a good basher and crawler with a miled BL System.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 10-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

RC Racer
    1 hour bashing over rocks, donuts on mulch, going up and down tube slides, and letting all the kids chase the Summit all around the park using 2 7cell 8.4V NiMH. Parents appreciative of the exercise their kids got so they'll get to sleep tonight. Love my all purpose Summit. Couldn't've done it with my Slash or ERBE. Even let the kids drive the Summit with me controlling speed. Nothing broken even though some kids tried to sit on it. RCs at the park are a big hit with kids and parents. Unfortunately too expensive for the other parents to get into.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementor View Post
    RCs at the park are a big hit with kids and parents. Unfortunately too expensive for the other parents to get into.
    Need to explain it this way. Instead of buying $50 - $150 'toy' RCs every few months to a year you get one hobby grade truck and keep it running for multiple years. You can dump a TON of cash into this hobby of course, but you don't have to for it to be extremely rewarding.

RC Racer
    Drove the Violet Loop at Shawnee Mission Park in Shawnee, Ks. It was kinda fun to complete a much longer trail than I've done before on one charge(SPC 8200Mah), but I wouldn't go back. It was not a challenge at all. It could have been done with an Emaxx or Revo just as easily. I need low-gear, diff-locking, rock crawling trails to really enjoy a challenge. Park Police stopped and interrogated me in the parking lot, saying I need a permit for it and can't use it here and there. He didn't know where I could but told me to go to the office and check myself. When he finally drove away, he just waved at a group of guys throwing a football in the parking lot next to all the cars. They almost hit a couple cars with the football, and he just waves...

RC Qualifier
    Did the NO SLOP HUB MOD today What a difference! Absolutely NO SLOP! and cheap too.
    Working hard to appear reasonably sane.