RC poster

Found an e maxx at a garage sale, have been looking at one for sometime

Well as the title states I picked up a used e maxx at a garage sale. The lady said it didn't work, but she didnt know why. It didnt have any batteries in it so I'm hoping that was all that's wrong with it. My batteries are currently charging and I'll put them in tomorrow and test it, but my question is if for some reason it doesn't run, what's the most likely cause? I believe it still has the Titan 550 motors in it,
    I have a spare one too. It looks fairly simple inside(meaning not much clutter), my losi jrx2 had more, but it was also from like the 80s or something. Anyway I'm excited to try it out. Any advice for me?

RC Enthusiast
    All kinda depends on what happens when u plug it in. If you have servo power but no go juice, your ESC could be shot....but no servo power AND no get up and go could range from a bad receiver to all electronics being shot.

RC poster
    I have a 5000mah nimh battery and an older nicd battery. Will that be sufficient enough to run it or should I get a new battery to replace the nicd?

RC Champion
    First may i ask what edition e-maxx do you have.

For batteries. You will need 2. They have to be the same mah, and volts. The old 3906 stock e-maxx with a 14.4 volt novak speed controler takes two 7.2 volt batteries, Now the newer e-maxxes have 16.8 volt speed control, and take two 8.4 volt batteries
    Last edited by ajcar; 08-18-2013 at 05:41 AM.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC poster
    The truck had the owners manual and it said its a model 3903. For testing purposes can I use two different batteries or will that mess something up?

RC poster
    Put the two batteries I had in and pressed the button on the main servo and it came to life! I ran it around the yard for about 5 minutes and put it up because I had to do something but came
    Back out and ran it for another 10-15 minutes and then the batteries started dying so I brought it inside and ran it around until it wouldn't climb over anything anymore. The old battery I was using was a 7.2v 2000mah nicd battery, and the newer was a racers edge 5000mah 7.2v nimh battery. Should I buy another racers edge 7.2v nimh 5000mah to match the one I have? Or use something else?

RC Champion
    You want packs of the same age and cycles through them ideally.
    If you just want it for a few weeks by another racers edge and when the motors die or the esc gives up, go brushless and lipo.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC poster
    So I'd assume 5000mah is too much? What's the ideal battery for a stock set up then? The 3000mah nimh?

Quote Originally Posted by garage.hunter View Post
    So I'd assume 5000mah is too much? What's the ideal battery for a stock set up then? The 3000mah nimh?
    I think the point is that all brushed motors have a definite lifespan, and disposable ones like the Titans are subject to that fact. The best way to keep a brushed motor happy is to gear it properly in order to keep it from getting too hot. Even so, the brushes will eventually wear out. I'd match your Racers Edge pack or look into some decent 5000+ mAH 2S LiPo packs and an LVA.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC poster
    I've been reading through the forum and I read that I would have to do some minor mods to run lipos if I have an evx2. Is that correct? Or would lipos be a plug and play?

Found an e maxx at a garage sale, have been looking at one for sometime

You'd want to run a Low Voltage Alarm on the BEC side. You can find them on eBay or at SPC Racing. I'd suggest getting a 2S balance wire extension for easier mounting of the LVA & to keep the battery and LVA from banging each other.
    Other than that, you're P'n'P.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Enthusiast
    The 2s lipos will toast your 550's. I ran mine made it thru 2 runs before burnt up. I put in th kershaw designs dewalt setup and very happy with, running 2s lipos and 25th pinion. alot faster and more power.

RC poster
    Ok here's my noobie side showing, how do you remove the motors to apply oil on each side and clean them? Do they just pull out? I also want to see if they are the stock motors since I have a Titan 550 in a parts box it came in.

RC poster
    It pops wheelies from a stand still when I first put the batteries in. I havent even bought the new battery pack and it still does it. Can't wait to see what it'll do with a new pack.