RC Enthusiast

Is the Rally raceworthy?

My son is very talented and wants to race. Should I go get him a different car or is the Rally capable of being competitive?

RC Champion
    What type of racing?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    What type of racing?
    Off road/short course.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by cHAUNCH View Post
    Off road/short course.
    It is essentially a LCG Slash. Change the wheels, bumpers and body and it is a Slash. He can easily race it.

RC Champion
    +1. That flat bumper on the rally doesn't let it land jumps nearly as well as the up-angled bumper of the slash 4x4.

RC Qualifier
    cHAUNCH, if you didnt already buy it, why not go to the track and buy whatever everyone else is running... Its a lot easier to get set-up and competitive if you are running the same R/C
    Traxxas please sell kits!

RC Qualifier
    im old enuff to remember when traxxas sold kits back in the day 11 yrs ago i got my frist rustler as a kit god to i miss kits, it the last 15 yrs i have only got one rtr rc it was a tc4 and i hated it building makes you know ur rig and respect it
    FRANKINRUSTLER,when bored build your toys

RC Enthusiast
    My boy has been in and out of every part of that car. He is very talented and has a natural knack for mechanical stuff.
    I can't catch the little turd on our track....he's doing 18 laps in 5 minutes as opposed to my 15.
    He knows his car well.
    I want him to get into the city and race and I'm wondering how competitive the Rally is relative to Losi, Associated, Kyosho etc.

RC Champion
    Sound like he'll be quite competitive.

The Rally can be fast with the right set up and parts. You'd need better tires, shocks, etc.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh Teton/Rally T-Maxx Pnde

RC poster
    I race mine indoors at a local carpet track against the Short Course trucks... When I ran I did so with a NiMH pack and the stock pinion. I jacked all the springs and arm up as much as possible for clearance on jumps etc without sacrificing too much handling... and I ended up doing 2-5 laps more than 2wd trucks running LiPos. And 1-2 laps over 4x4s on LiPos. Now keep in mind the track I ran on was pretty small, and even on NiMH I was only running 1/4 to 1/2 throttle bursts. But I was very impressed. I did some upgrades over the summer to the rally, including a 50c burst 7.4 lipo hardcase that was "track acceptable" (I wanted to go 11.1 but 7.4 is max for the club...) and different tires and shocks, and some aluminum parts... very competitive car to answer your question.

I'd dare say mine in it's setup now will hands down pwn a stock vxl slash.