Thread: Esc question

RC Qualifier

Esc question

So as most of you guys already know i have posted tons of threads about the erevo yet i dont own one, so my newest question about these things is the mamba monster max esc i heard you HAVE to program it on the computer by downloading the software, thats a bit intimidating to me, im already worried about spending 650$ on this truck, being that im 16 with no job, so my question this time is how hard is it to program these esc being that it is on the computer, so please be honest with me, i like straight foward answers, lol thanks a ton guys i want one of these trucks badly and im absorbin as much info as i can before i pull the trigger on one, also do you guys thing that 3.8 ttenchers on desperado wheels looks good?
    8 traxxas models and counting....

RC Qualifier
    1) Firstly - you say "you have to program it via the PC". Well you don't have to, but you can. The castle link software is very easy to use. If you can use PC you will be fine. How much you get into adjusting throttle and brake curves etc. is up to you. You can start by just adjusting the basic settings - adding some punch control to tame down the "launch" if you have a heavy trigger finger, drag brake, maybe adjust the BEC voltage if you do a servo upgrade etc. It really isn't intimidating or difficult - it is pretty much plug and play. And if you adjust a setting and you don't know what you did etc you can always reset to default settings.
    Having said this, the castle link (adjust settings on your PC) is not the only method for adjust these settings. The field programming kit also allows you to this and without the need for a PC so many swear by this!!
    2) Trencher X's on desperados look good in my opinion, but I run this combination so I am biased Be aware they are big heavy tyres so you'll need to consider whether you want the hassles that come with this combo - stripped diffs being the main issue!
    I have done the LST diff mod so my Trenchers are great! Before I did the mod - wasn't so keen on all the maintenance and repairs caused by their size / weight.

RC Qualifier
    Easy super easy. Oh and if your worried about money don't buy the trenchers you'll break everything

RC Qualifier
    The program card is literally a cord that connects to the esc and a few buttons for throttle curve break curve etc. You clearly seem smart enough seeing you have done research on the truck, and know what questions to ask. Dont be afraid. A kid can program with the card.
    Also you should check out the market place on this and other forums. You can score a sweet used e revo with multiple upgrades and lipos for $650, probably with a program card...jus my .2 cents

RC Champion
    There are useful videos on utube. Thats where i learned, and my first time was easy.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys i really appreciate the responses, but i do have another question, everwhere i look people are talking about the losi diff mod for this truck, does that mean u guys are modifying the diff ir where it sits on the car, in my research ive noticed that everybody runs this mod when they are on 4s so im really curious as to how much these diffs are, were they can be found, and what parts need modification in order to fit the diff, so let me know, thanks

Find them on Ebay...

jmo you don't really need them with 4s.. just some shimming......

&

Refer to this to setup the Mamba Monster ( MMM ) esc for maximum performance:
    CASTLE LINK GUIDE
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    I run 4s and dont even have shimmed diffs on the stock traxxas diffs on both of my erbes. Its not a must do

RC Qualifier
    Well if the diffs are not a must do then there must be some other parts that are, i have also heard to put summit driveshafts in the erbe and also tthat the a arms need replacing, would i be correct in saying this?

JMHO.........Get the truck first, read up on lipo's, Castle Link, running temps, gearing, slipper set up, centering the servo's, ect..ect..

Run the truck see what you break, then see if you need or want to upgrade the broken part(s)..
    Depending on you driving style you may not break anything, or you might go thru A Arms (?? IDK). then upgrade.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    +1 Buy it first, run it, then work out what needs upgrading.

Bash it like someone else has to fix it!

RC Competitor
    Unless you plan to race, the only upgrade you will want to do is taped tires. Within my first pack worth of driving mine I blew all 4 tires, and that was on 4S. I'm running a full set of stocks tires on stock rims that have been taped for normal bashing, I find them fine for dirt, short grass, and paved bashing.

RC Qualifier
    So buy it and when i bash around fix watever i break, im not going to destroy it as this truck is my dream truck, so im going to treat it good with the occasional huge jump and stuff that everyone does, but whats your imputs on shock covers because im thnking about those because they look cleaner

RC Competitor
    Good to see that you're doing your research but you are really over thinking all of this. Take 87 GN advice....buy the truck with 2x2s lipos and take it one day at a time. I think you are worrying too much about stuff you may not need to do. I just got the castle link for my new MM2 and it is very easy to use. I'm 46 and not great with a computer and it was a breeze. Everything on my truck is stock except the new esc and motor, I run 4S and have no problems. Mind you, I don't take 50foot jumps either. Treat the thing with respect, keep it clean after use and change things only when they need changing.

RC Qualifier
    Yea i probably am overthinking it, but like i said in my first post 650$ is a tOn of money for a kid to spend with no job, it kinda frightens me a bit to drop that much cash, but i figure its the right time to do it, so thanks alot guys and any other input about your trucks and what you think of them you can put below, i feel comfortable with your opinions and im ready to pull the trigger, thanks alot and i cant wait to change my signature

RC Qualifier
    I run shock socks. As you said it makes it look cleaner and keeps the dirt out of the threads on the shock so its easy to adjust the shocks.
    Sorry this is the only picture I have with the socks on