Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Man, this discussion wasn't intended to inflame. LOL... I know everyone is posting in good fun like I was as well. Were all buds here. Im just looking at the bigger picture of whats out there already and what this truck is. Its a trail truck, well suited a (as KSB and others have pointed out) a VERY low KV brushless setup (waterproof would be ideal) or a high torque brushed setup. The price seems to suggest maybe a brushed system is the most economical choice and, for this unit, the XL5 isnt terrible. A higher turn motor would be a great choice for an upgrade. Even a 21t titan from an Emaxx would be a good choice.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im just throwing that out there. I think this is a cool truck... and I want one. But it seems like most peoples first inclination is to ask about or go brushless. If thats what your going to do, get a stampede 4X4... cause thats what this is with a brushed system. There is a special and unique simplicity to cheap brushed setup and keeping a vehicle for use as its intended. Obviously anyones free to do whatever they want but it would seem pretty silly to spend $300 on this truck only to upgrade the power system, turnbuckles and driveshaft for brushless power when you can simply go out and spend $150 more and get a stampede 4X4 that will include a battery.

Im just sayin...
    In a way, I agree with what you're saying. But where I live (Canada) it's actually the same price (they're both $300!). I wouldn't get the Telluride 4x4 over the Pede 4x4, not for the same price at least. At least if Traxxas would've put like a specially made crawler motor, the XL-5 is intended for people who want to step up to hobby grade without going extreme (brushless) power. But if you want to get over rocks and twigs, I think they should've put a crawler motor in there. The XL-5 goes quite fast (IMO) for a trail car. I mean they adversite 35+MPH, that's not a trail car at all I still like the Telluride though!

Traxxas Employee
    I already put the 3500 Velineon system in my Telluride and I'm thrilled with the results. So far the clutch has been able to handle the power and I've had no problems with the nylon driveshaft. I actually prefer the nylon driveshaft. I put the aluminum one in, but it's noisier and jerks a little more.

I don't think it changes the nature of the Telluride at all. The brushless system is so much better in terms of longevity and temperature handling. Just because you have a brushless system doesn't mean you need to put a 3s in it. I still use NiMh batteries in mine. I've got more power now, but nothing obscene and my run times are longer.

I do agree with the OP that some vehicles are ruined by too much power, but be sensible about it and you will love the results.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Maxxdude View Post
    I already put the 3500 Velineon system in my Telluride and I'm thrilled with the results. So far the clutch has been able to handle the power and I've had no problems with the nylon driveshaft. I actually prefer the nylon driveshaft. I put the aluminum one in, but it's noisier and jerks a little more.

I don't think it changes the nature of the Telluride at all. The brushless system is so much better in terms of longevity and temperature handling. Just because you have a brushless system doesn't mean you need to put a 3s in it. I still use NiMh batteries in mine. I've got more power now, but nothing obscene and my run times are longer.

I do agree with the OP that some vehicles are ruined by too much power, but be sensible about it and you will love the results.
    +1 on that!

AB
    I'll try anything once, maybe twice!