Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar

Please dont go brushless

Im just throwing that out there. I think this is a cool truck... and I want one. But it seems like most peoples first inclination is to ask about or go brushless. If thats what your going to do, get a stampede 4X4... cause thats what this is with a brushed system. There is a special and unique simplicity to cheap brushed setup and keeping a vehicle for use as its intended. Obviously anyones free to do whatever they want but it would seem pretty silly to spend $300 on this truck only to upgrade the power system, turnbuckles and driveshaft for brushless power when you can simply go out and spend $150 more and get a stampede 4X4 that will include a battery.

Im just sayin...
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

+1 I agree, brushless systems kind of ruin what makes it special and unique. If I get one, (I'm thinking about it) I would put a bigger brushed motor in it, like a Titan 775 or a DeWalt. Don't tell they won't fit, I'd find a way.
    Sl2sh Slayer Summit Sl4sh 1/18 Rally/Teton T-Maxx

I agree... I think if I did get one id put some sort of crawler motor in it, maybe upgrade to a bit better brushed ESC and thats it. Id even leave the plastic drive shaft just because. If it broke id go aluminum but why change it right away.

On the other hand, im quite surprised at the price. It seems higher than what I would have expected. Especially when you consider that theres no battery included.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Brushless does not have to mean huge power. You could go with a low powered sensored system just to get the ease of maintenance that brushless offers and still have the linear power band and speed more suited to a trail rig than a high speed basher.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    but you know some people will buy it anyway and put a brushless system in it only for the new car smell factor. its something new to them so they want too...well upgrade it.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    but you know some people will buy it anyway and put a brushless system in it only for the new car smell factor. its something new to them so they want too...well upgrade it.
    Isn't that kind of what this hobby is all about? To me it is anyway. I always like taking a new truck and making it mine.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    Isn't that kind of what this hobby is all about? To me it is anyway. I always like taking a new truck and making it mine.
    soooo true!

This truck won't handle a brushless system very well, it's too tall and too narrow, will flip a lot and won't be fun...
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    When I was new to Traxxas and choosing my first one, brushless was new to me so since this'll be my first one I went with a Bandit VXL. The reason I bought a brushless one wasn't for speed, Traxxas said it was more efficient and easy to maintain. Brushless is indeed cost more than brushed, but my E-Maxx Titians are still running great. I will have to agreed that even though one or more people will say go brushless doesn't mean you have to. I'm interested in trying the DeWalt setup for my E-Maxx.

Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    This truck won't handle a brushless system very well, it's too tall and too narrow, will flip a lot and won't be fun...
    You may have a point.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 08-15-2013 at 04:48 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

I agree with the premise of the OP but have to wonder about installing a super-smooth, sensored, low-kv, brushless motor in this thing. Holmes Hobbies has one in 540 size and if I don't miss my guess, it's an outrunner!
    http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Revo...Outrunner.html
    Of course, at that point we are totally obliterating the concept of a decently low cost trail truck.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

The concept of telling people what not to do with their truck just strikes me as wrong. If I want to buy a Telluride and equip it with a Flux Capacitor who is to tell me not to do it?
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhr77 View Post
    Then again Traxxas will test it with a brushless system and make some tweaks to it before they will release it if there ever going to be a brushless version and there will be one. Traxxas ensures that all of their rc products are tuned right.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 08-15-2013 at 06:11 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

RC Champion
    To my mind brushed is better in a trail rig because it can also be ran under water

the crawler brushless systems are sensored and mostly hydrophobic.

I made this experience myself with my Honcho. Started with a brushless, sensored system and then switched to a brushed setup.

RC Qualifier
    The concept of telling people what not to do with their truck just strikes me as wrong. If I want to buy a Telluride and equip it with a Flux Capacitor who is to tell me not to do it?
    I want one with a Flux Capacitor! I'll send it forward in time 30 years to bring back Mr Fusion and get the hover conversion!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

To my mind brushed is better in a trail rig because it can also be ran under water
    A brushless motor is as safe under water as a brushed motor is.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

I agree that a high speed brushless system may not be in this trucks best interest if left stock.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Champion
    I can see leaving it brushed. What ever you guy's do i hope to see some crawling videos. I'd almost think about a brushed chimera-b. If you need to know what a chimera-b is here is da link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kJozCqwdlD8 I would need narrow a-arms, body, and wheels. I can see it in the future.
    I'm not krazy. My mother had me tested.

RC Qualifier
    Owner's Manual p22.

Going Brushless
    Brushless motors provide increased power output and greater
    efficiency. Upgrading the high-stall gear clutch assembly and stock
    pinion is required to provide the extra transmission and driveline
    strength to make the Telluride capable of handling extreme
    brushless power. Replace the high-stall gear clutch assembly with
    the slipper clutch assembly (part #6878), and replace the stock
    pinion with the 32-pitch, 13-T pinion (part #3943). If you plan
    to run LiPo battery packs to power a LiPo-compatible brushless
    system, optional battery hold downs (part #6727X) are available to
    accommodate larger, high-capacity LiPo battery packs.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ajcar View Post
    I can see leaving it brushed. What ever you guy's do i hope to see some crawling videos. I'd almost think about a brushed chimera-b. If you need to know what a chimera-b is here is da link http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=kJozCqwdlD8 I would need narrow a-arms, body, and wheels. I can see it in the future.
    That's a pretty sweet video.
    Did you say Traxxas?

I agree, to a point. I have a brushed motor in my scaler with a Novak Rooster Crawler ESC, the combo is super smooth and powers my scaler exactly the way I want it too.

But, aimed for beginners or not, it is still a hobby-grade RC; and we as RC-geeks will poke, prod, wrench, modify, upgrade, down-grade, and regrade to make the RC our own. THAT is a GIANT part of this hobby and a big part of what makes it fun.

What I don't understand are the people that buy this kind of RC and decide they want it to do 70mph...
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I agree with the premise of the OP but have to wonder about installing a super-smooth, sensored, low-kv, brushless motor in this thing. Holmes Hobbies has one in 540 size and if I don't miss my guess, it's an outrunner!
    http://holmeshobbies.com/Holmes-Revo...Outrunner.html
    Of course, at that point we are totally obliterating the concept of a decently low cost trail truck.
    Then again, I have an unknown-spec 36mm x 66mm Johnson motor I'd love to try too.

Im not saying its against the rules to upgrade or that its bad or anyone who does it is "wrong". Im simply saying it makes no sense. So often people buy trucks like this and spend all kinds of $$ on them only to have a truck that is no more or less capable than a slightly more expensive stock truck.

In this case, your just getting Stampede 4X4 with a brushed power system and a few downgraded parts. For $109 more at tower hobbies you can get a stampede 4X4 and it comes with a battery, steel camber links and an aluminum drive shaft.

I realize this truck is "different" than the Stampede 4X4 in theory. But in reality its so similar your crazy to start with it as a base for a brushless truck. Youll actually spend MORE money.

Again, my original comment wasnt intended to bully anyone into doing what I want. Lol... I was just making a point about this truck, its price point and purpose. You all make valid points about upgrading and sensored brushless setups. My biggest reason for my comments are my experience with my mini summit with an XL5 and Electrifly S-600... its such a great setup for what the truck is intended to do. I think leaving the Telluride brushed does it the most justice, similar to a summit.
    Last edited by pavmentsurfer; 08-15-2013 at 09:59 PM.
    Pede, Summit,
    ERBE, Rally,
    Motley Crew, 1SQ

Pavmentsurfer we all know what the truck is and what it's intent is you are stating the obvious. Let people do with it what they want and if it is putting a brushless system in it or a Flux Capacitor it does not make them crazy because their wants or needs do not coincide with yours.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

It's just that mission creep starts to set in and SOMETHING needs somehow to be modded. I think for me, IF I get one, that Johnson motor might just do the trick.

I'd most likely stick with a brushed set up in it for use as a trail rig and if I wanted it for some other purpose would likely just use the Pede 4x4 I already have. Still though things change and I can think of many reasons why someone would want a brushless system. If for no other reason other than because they can.
    BlindMan Racing
    SPC Lipo Power

RC Qualifier
    What about a 25A esc with one of those finned motors that make half the power of a true 540 size can, aka one of those mild beginner setups that barely make more power than brushed? I would definitely like to keep this stock, but when the titan burns out, whenever that may be, I wont be buyin another titan, that's for sure. Maybe we should start a thread from mild to anything but wild! heh

I wouldn't go with anything lower than a 60a. The drag of the 4wd system will pull some nice spikes if you jam a tire. One of those motors in a low kv and geared properly may work just fine, and keep the power down enough to keep everything stock though. I seen leopard makes that style of motor, but did not see anything lower than 3000kv over at hobbypartz. An 18-2200kv would be a good starting point. The 25a esc's will not make it... It would prob make more sense and be cheaper to get a 27 turn axial brushed motor for trail running...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Qualifier
    Gah! I just realized , only a day late, I typed 25 and not 35a esc. D'oh! Anyway, It will be interesting to see what all the setups peeps will be running in this thing, that's for sure

RC Racer
    All I know is that I want a Flux Capacitor in all my cars/trucks now. Can't wait 'til they're back in stock

Buy a name brand. The cheap overseas ones are not compatible with the Telluride
    Whats in my wallet?

Texas, Chemical Plant along the Gulf Coast
    ME??? I'd slap a Castle something in it!!! Muahahaha Seriously though, This might be one of them trucks i'd gear really low and slow, to have fun riding trails and crawling. I have a couple of brushed combos but not running in any of my rigs. I'm not going to tell anyone what to put in theirs nor would I keep it stock. I like making everything my own. I'd almost want to take my P4de and convert it into one of these, and yank the castle power system I currently have in it just to be different.

Thats my .02 worth.
    Weak Revenge
    Strong Forgive
    Intelligent Ignore

Traxxas Employee
    me..... brushless, make some spools, center diff, shocks................maybe 3s and have fun........

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by pavmentsurfer View Post
    Im not saying its against the rules to upgrade or that its bad or anyone who does it is "wrong". Im simply saying it makes no sense. So often people buy trucks like this and spend all kinds of $$ on them only to have a truck that is no more or less capable than a slightly more expensive stock truck.

In this case, your just getting Stampede 4X4 with a brushed power system and a few downgraded parts. For $109 more at tower hobbies you can get a stampede 4X4 and it comes with a battery, steel camber links and an aluminum drive shaft.

I realize this truck is "different" than the Stampede 4X4 in theory. But in reality its so similar your crazy to start with it as a base for a brushless truck. Youll actually spend MORE money.
    I agree. It's cool that people do amazing upgrades, but part of me cringes when it is utterly pointless (i.e there was a cheaper, more efficient, and just as fun way of doing it). i.e get a Stampede and give the savings to the poor!

RC Champion
    WOW! when I read the OP, I thought to myself, "Hey, this message is to TRAXXAS asking them not to offer a brushless Velineon 3500 system version of this vehicle. To do that would ruin its mantra". But apparently, after reading the discussion, I'm one of the select few who see it that way.

Yes, Brushless systems are more effecient and even work really well in trail rigs - given the right combinations. But, the only version Traxxas has is overkill and changes this vehicle all together....into a Stampede with small tires.

Is it pointless to offer it in brushless? Depends on who you ask but, they already do (Stampede) and it ROCKS!!!! Are you allowed to do whatever you want to with your "Rig"....you bet! Just be prepared for the onslaught of personal opinion should you choose to share with the group. Good, bad, indifferent, you're still subjecting yourself to comments. If you can accept that, you can do whatever you want. If you cant accept that, you can still do whatever you want. Just dont ask me NOT to speak my opinion!!!! And dont get upset when I do either!

Having said all that - keeping the speed down on this "TRAIL RIG" will make it more adaptable as such. Increasing the power with a high powered brushless system will obviously make this one heck of a fun ride, but less appropriate for driving trails...as a trail rig is concerned. As with that said, even the stock set up is too fast for what I see a good "Trail rig" should be.....SOOOOOOO, I guess all my comments to this point are Paltry and superfluous!

i still like the OP and the one who posted it!
    Last edited by Redsawacs; 08-20-2013 at 03:42 PM.

Cheers to "paltry and superfluous"! FWIW, I agree that RTR it may be too fast for trail-only duties. I know how fast I can walk on easy terrain; 4 MPH is a pretty good pace. So I checked into cheap brushless outrunners (950kv & 1100kv) and a small ESC. Even geared 17/83 - 17T is the smallest 5mm bore 48P pinion I could quickly find, necessary for the referenced motors - the top speed would be about 13 MPH... on 3S! That's 8.5 MPH or twice walking speed on 2S. Speed figures are for the 1100kv motor. A 950kv motor yields 11 MPH and 7.3 MPH on 3S and 2S, respectively. You know you're slow when you need to go to tenths of a MPH, lol.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-20-2013 at 04:30 PM.

RC Competitor
    This thing looks perfect for the tekin roc412 on 3s

Well, SOMEBODY has champagne and caviar tastes, lol. I was thinking a $75 setup is a bit more in line with the base price of this little trail scrambler than a $325 system would be. But to each his own.

^^^ the coolest part of ksb's "solution" is that by selling the stock motor and esc for about 60$, you can get a brushless setup upgrade for under 20 bucks... BRILLIANT!
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Qualifier
    So 32 bucks for a 35A esc, 32 bucks for a 3000kv motor & 19 bucks for a battery for 83 bucks total. Hmm or I could borrow my nephews pede and use his setup and just tell him that good ol' uncle dug is "working" on his truck, and since he's only 9, I bet he would believe me too, heh. Although I bet his dad(my little bro, who doesn't quite trust me anyway) might get suspicious if I show up with a new rc truck while his kid's is being "worked on".

RC Champion
    "When life gives you lemons, make lemonade"