Hybrid View

RC Qualifier

Long term lipo storage?

I only have my son for the summer. I got him a Slash 4x4 Ultimate at the begining of the summer and his time is coming to a close. So from Aug 26th he'll be gone and wont be back till next year sometime early June. Will the lipo store at storage voltage ok that long? Do they deteriorate over time if not used? Should i just sell it and get him a new one next summer? I would hate to store the lipo and in 9 months come back and its basically useless.

Thanks for any advice given.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-15-2013 at 02:42 PM.
    " You just got passed by a Traxxas"

RC Champion
    I've never stored a lipo that long. As long as i know if you check the pack monthly as some lipo's voltage fluctuates it should be ok. If you think it may be a problem, sell them while they are good, then just put that money in the new lipo jar for next year.
    And you will never have to worry of lipo fire if you don't have them.
    Problems.The manual's good starting point. Simple

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    LiPo chemistry, like most other batteries, have a certain shelf life; in other words, even sitting at storage voltage not being used you are loosing cycles off from them.

However they can be stored for extended periods of time at storage voltage in a cool, dark place, but they still should be cycled every month or so to help keep them active to prolong their life.

Honestly since they will be stored for so long, I would sell them and buy new once he comes around again.

Unless you might use them yourself... that is. lol
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Qualifier
    I would use his battery but the C rating is only 25 and it wouldnt last long in my truck and get hot if i used it. It looks like selling the battery is the best way to go.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'd also say you should sell it if you can't use it. With the way LiPo prices are going, it is possible the $ you get for the used pack(s) will buy new pack(s) next summer.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'd also say you should sell it if you can't use it. With the way LiPo prices are going, it is possible the $ you get for the used pack(s) will buy new pack(s) next summer.
    Prices are definitely dropping... quite rapidly too.

if you are into the hobby, keep them & enjoy driving his truck, then next year buy him another truck.
    If not sell them.....
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

RC Qualifier
    He would be upset if he found out his truck was being used lol. Besides i already have a STRC Slash 2wd and another Slash 4x4 Ultimate and a Losi SCTE 4x4. The batteries he uses the one Traxxas lipo is 25c and the other a non Traxxas lipo is 35c. He runs the VXL-3s so they work just fine. If i were to use that low of C rating in my set ups the batteries would get hot beyond touchable and hit LVC premature. So ive just decided to sell them and get new ones next summer.

Traxxas LiPo's are under-rated...
    Have you tried them in your other RC's?