RC Competitor

Black Widow Spartan

All,

Been a while since I posted. I have been working on a project for about a year combining my two loves : Comic Books and Stupidly Awesome Things. What you see is a new Spartan hull wrapped with custom graphics created by Dave Nestler of the Black Widow as a James Bond girl with contributions from me for the logo and graphics. A local graphics shop combined everything together and got me the hull back today.

I now need to take the hardware from my old hull (Leopard 4092, SeaKing , MaxAmps 8000Mah, quad changemaker trimtabs, etc) and put on this hull, which should not take long. That setup was fast and stable, so this should have similar results when I am done. Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

More pics and story on the art can be found on my comic art collection site at http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=147808

--Matt

Last edited by Double G; 08-13-2013 at 05:26 PM. Reason: content
    Running wild with a Spartan and MERV!

RC Qualifier
    Comments:
    Awesome!!
    Suggestions:
    Have Fun!
    hog

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Comments:
    Awesome!!
    Suggestions:
    Have Fun!
    hog
    Thanks, hog! You always have the right outlook on things!

RC Racer
    Looks great! Did you start with a blank white spartan or did it already have the blue/red graphics on it?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    Looks great! Did you start with a blank white spartan or did it already have the blue/red graphics on it?
    Great question. I started with a blank spartan hull for this. Makes everything a little easier.

RC Racer
    Ok. I was curious if the wrap would work as good on a hull with the stock graphics.

RC Qualifier
    OMG dude that thing looks totally awesome.rare you in the buisness of doing mine in something awesome like that? WOW keep up the great work

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by hopduperevo View Post
    OMG dude that thing looks totally awesome.rare you in the buisness of doing mine in something awesome like that? WOW keep up the great work
    Thanks, Steve! I myself did not do the wrapping, but I can get you to the right folks who can.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnes99 View Post
    Ok. I was curious if the wrap would work as good on a hull with the stock graphics.
    Would have to defer to others that have wrapped a stock hull. I would assume if you use a heavy enough wrap, you would not see the default graphics.

RC Qualifier
    Looks pretty neat. It's cool to see something different. Is it orange and black or red and black?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Looks pretty neat. It's cool to see something different. Is it orange and black or red and black?
    Red and Black

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mojogator View Post
    Thanks, Steve! I myself did not do the wrapping, but I can get you to the right folks who can.
    Im def. interested. How much did it cost to wrap?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    Im def. interested. How much did it cost to wrap?
    Wrapping was not inexpensive. I was $250 for the layout, printing, and application. He used a very heavy duty wrapping, which contributed to the cost. The original artwork commision price is a whole 'nother story....

RC Qualifier
    wow i had nooooooooo idea that it cost that much to wrap a boat.i think i will have to hold off for awhile but it looks awesome.some day we will have to get together so i can see it in person.

RC Qualifier
    Pictures almost make it look orange. I was hoping you didn't steal my color scheme lol. That price isn't that bad when you consider the same thing done with an airbrush would be $500 to $1000 or more depending on the level of detail.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by F-R Racing View Post
    Pictures almost make it look orange. I was hoping you didn't steal my color scheme lol. That price isn't that bad when you consider the same thing done with an airbrush would be $500 to $1000 or more depending on the level of detail.
    The LED lights in my basement gave it more of an orange look, but it is definitely red. You are absolutely correct about the pricing. That is why I spent the money on the painting of the Black Widow her self and then had the wraps made. My thought was that if I damage the hull, I can always rewrap it or start all over again/

RC Competitor
    Hey guys, been a while. I need a recommendation for a ESC as I smoked my seeking 180. For whatever reason, I really did not like that ESC. Any other recommendations? Anybody using a Hydra Ice 240? Weather is finally getting right so I need to get the Widow back out on the water. I only got 2 good days out of her after the build was completed so am anxious to get a good season in.

As for performance, before she smoked, I hit 62 briefly according to the gun on glass-like water with my setup (Leopard 4092, SeaKing 180 , MaxAmps 8000Mah, quad changemaker trimtabs, etc). First run was a little hairy as she was bouncing all over. I moved the batteries around a little and adjusted trim, and got her much more manageable. A little more tweaking and I think she will be dialed in perfectly.

Thanks for reading and your suggestions.

--Matt

RC Qualifier
    What prop were you using with that setup?