RC poster

LiPo bags: Are they necessary? What's difference between a cheap one and brand name?

Been reading a lot on care of LiPos (as you might be able to tell from my last post) and many people recommend charging inside a specially made bag. I figure for $20, it's worth mitigating the risk of burning my house down. My question is, does it make a difference if I buy a generic brand cheap bag, or should I go with a brand name, such as Traxxas?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    I'd prefer brand name choice, Would you trust something from China for a difference of a few dollars.
    I think some are kevlar and some are white asbestos. The cheap ones could be hazardous brown asbestos bleached/dyed. Not 100% sure.
    Guide books aren't part of the packaging.

Penny pinching on a lipo bag could cost you a home.
    Get a quality bag.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Where is the best place to pick up a lipo charging bag and is it necessary?

E-Maxx and Spartan

RC Champion
    LipoSack is a good one. A LHS and any online shop should carry a decent brand.

Don't reach your hand down into the bag and rub the inside of it. The tiny fibers will irritate skin.

towerhobbies, buytraxxas.com sells them, rcplanet.com, amainhobbies.com and many others, i use a fire proof safe for mine been sitting in there for 4 months now since i last checked them and they stay nice and cool in there at least mine do.
    DEU 8:18 ESV

RC Champion
    I don't use mine for charging anymore, but i do use them for carrying the lipo's about. From past experiences soft cell lipo's don't like being dropped from 6 inches onto a wood table. I haven't dropped the hard case lipo's yet.

RC Qualifier
    As suggested above, a name brand sack is recommended, vid of a cheap one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEkewCjiDs0

This is not my video, nor do I recommend trying this. I think anybody that is new to Lipo's should see how violent it can be.
    Slash 2wd
    Slash 4x4 MT
    P4de Trail

RC Qualifier
    Buy an ammo can. ya can store / carry all types of stuff in it. and when its time to charge a battery..... you get the idea.

RC poster
    I ended up buying a Traxxas bag. Hopefully those are considered high quality?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogie View Post
    I ended up buying a Traxxas bag. Hopefully those are considered high quality?
    There are high quality, but only for lipos that are rated up to 30 watt hours (it said that on the bag).
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Noogie View Post
    Been reading a lot on care of LiPos (as you might be able to tell from my last post) and many people recommend charging inside a specially made bag. I figure for $20, it's worth mitigating the risk of burning my house down. My question is, does it make a difference if I buy a generic brand cheap bag, or should I go with a brand name, such as Traxxas?

Thanks!
    yeah id say they are necessary lol
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

RC poster
    this video really scared me. would it be safer to keep the batteries in a bag and also store them in the garage?

Cheers

RC Champion
    When I made the jump from NIMH to LIPO I had worries too. Now after educating myself I store and charge them on my kitchen counter (yes in bags). Follow manufacturers instructions use your head DON'T BE STUPID and you will be fine.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by CyprusTM View Post
    this video really scared me. would it be safer to keep the batteries in a bag and also store them in the garage?

Cheers
    You want to put them in an air-tight metal container like an ammo can. Garages are good places, but they may not be good during hot summers. It all depends where you live. The basement is probably the best place to store them IMO.
    Last edited by SouperkNight; 10-05-2013 at 11:28 PM.
    Did you say Traxxas?

Yes with or without lipos.

RC Champion
    If you want something safer than a sack to charge, he a charging box like Click There is another cheaper brand but from Reviews it's rubbish and has sharp metal edges from its cheap build quality.
    If your storing in here you'll still need a sack to protect the lipos from getting bashed about.

RC Racer
    Aren't LiPo sacks limited to <3000 mAh batteries? Anything over 3000mAH may burn long enough to burn through the LiPo sack?

RC Champion
    Never heard that, maybe its salesman talk to sell a higher price sack. An 1800 and 4000 pack will burn for a long time. More cells the angrier the flames.

Lipos sacks only contain the fire for a certain length of time.
    Using the lipo instructions, it says, never charge unattended. So you could have a few seconds to disconnect lipo from charger, or move to a safer place and let it burn out. The lipo instructions say it shouldn't be charged within 30feet of combustibles.

I'm unsure if any lipo manufacturers state the lipos must be charged in sacks. Sacks make the user safer and the people around safer.
    Sacks don't extinguish the fire, they contain it for a period of time, An 1800 pack going up you have the same amount of time as a 8000 pack to move to a safer place.
    Last edited by trax de max; 10-12-2013 at 06:40 AM.

RC Racer
    So what are the actual chances of a LiPo catching fire, if you've looked after it?

As in never dropped or let any of its cells go below 3.4v and have never allowed any of its cells be charged above 4.2v?

Has it ever been known for a LiPo to catch fire while in storage for absolutely no reason ?

I have ONE LiPo large bag, and there's 3 6500mAh LiPo's in there. I also live in Florida, so storing in the garage, means storing somewhere that can potentially get hot.. They're better off inside with the AC.. However, inside means, inside the home, where there's potential that if they go off, they'll go off when no-one is at home. Worse still in the middle of the night, when the kids are sleeping.

This kinda has me worried, now that I'm learning that bags are only good for one 3000mAh battery... I'm storing 19500mAh worth of capacity in one bag.

Looking at this Venom safe case and it says good for 60w, which doesn't even cover one of my LiPo's... Should i be looking at some kind of Rambo ammo case or something?

Surely they wouldn't be selling these if they were that dangerous? or would they?

RC Racer
    OK call me OCD, but for the sakes of $40, I'm not taking any chances... I went out and purchased a fireproof storage box, from Target for $40 http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/5..._Memory_Keeper

Anyway, (My OCD continues) I'm going to store 3x 6500mAh LiPo's, and while I'm at it, I may as well store my x4 NiMh's that will probably never see the light of day again, outside of the pain of running them thru some cycles every month..

OK, are LiPo's explosive enough to blow off the lid of this fire protective box? It's only held down by weight.. Admittedly its quite a heavy lid.. But............. Pressure from a small explosion and all?? I very much doubt one would, especially if its in a LiPo safe bag... But, what about when you have 3 LiPo's and a 4 NiHm (Traxxas 300mAh's) all within that confined space? Should I be looking at increasing my LiPo bag collection? to dampen things down, in the event of a catastrophic failure ?

Quote Originally Posted by thedoc46 View Post
    So what are the actual chances of a LiPo catching fire, if you've looked after it?

As in never dropped or let any of its cells go below 3.4v and have never allowed any of its cells be charged above 4.2v?

Has it ever been known for a LiPo to catch fire while in storage for absolutely no reason ?

I have ONE LiPo large bag, and there's 3 6500mAh LiPo's in there. I also live in Florida, so storing in the garage, means storing somewhere that can potentially get hot.. They're better off inside with the AC.. However, inside means, inside the home, where there's potential that if they go off, they'll go off when no-one is at home. Worse still in the middle of the night, when the kids are sleeping.

This kinda has me worried, now that I'm learning that bags are only good for one 3000mAh battery... I'm storing 19500mAh worth of capacity in one bag.

Looking at this Venom safe case and it says good for 60w, which doesn't even cover one of my LiPo's... Should i be looking at some kind of Rambo ammo case or something?

Surely they wouldn't be selling these if they were that dangerous? or would they?

RC Racer
    just got my lipos today, dont have a bag. Why are they so dangerous, i dont get y you cant hook them up charge them then when they are full you use them. Let them run till power loss is noticed. Then if your not going to use your batteries for a while put them away.

Or i believe i read someone puts there batteries in the fridge if they are going to sit for a long period of time?