Alternative brushed motor upgrades

Many experienced members here will probably go brushless, but just wondering what everyone would suggest for a cheap brushed replacement for the titan?

I suggested the electrify s600... around 20 bucks.

I am also wondering something. Looks like the titan 775 has a "torque ring". If it does, can it be removed like on the titan 12t? If so, could we find a way to stuff it in there? 3s would prob run a little stronger than the titan 12t, and run way cooler with many more gearing options with 32p and the slash slipper... I have never had a 775 in my hands, so no idea if its even remotely possible. You could fit a 2200kv 1/8 motor into it...
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Champion
    There are still a handful of good brushed motors available. The Titan 12T is equivalent to a low end 15-17T 540. I would run a 19T but those few who will try to trail with it will probably want a 35T. Some company's to look at are Trinity, Team Orion, Integy, Tekin, and Holmes Hobbies.

As to the 775 its 5mm larger than a Castle 2200. So it might fit if the 2200 will. But there is no practical advantage to run it over a 540.

Though to make it crawl at all the XL-5 has to go. It lacks power and has no drag brake so a different esc will be needed.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Interesting topic.

First of all: The Ring of the 775 Motor can be removed.

Other Motors:

I made good experience with the axial 27 Turn Motor in my SCX10 Honcho.

There is also a 20 Turn Motor from the Wraith that will probably be a good choice.

They are pretty durable and can take some abuse. I ran them in mud and water and had no issues.

They are also pretty cheap.

PS.

I think a drag brake is only necessary for crawlers. To my mind the waterproof XL-5 is not a bad esc for this truck.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 08-13-2013 at 06:43 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Agree about drag break limited to crawling. I turn my axial's off when trailing. I have used atomik and hpi 35 t's with good results for $10 motors. For those who want to try crawling with it, snicker to self, the ae2 ESC from axial comes with a drag and is a castle product. Also, their 27t may be a great match as stated. Buying a removable bell motor seems overkill here given the likely audience for these, not to mention sensored brushless setups.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by therealrsr View Post
    Agree about drag break limited to crawling. I turn my axial's off when trailing. I have used atomik and hpi 35 t's with good results for $10 motors. For those who want to try crawling with it, snicker to self, the ae2 ESC from axial comes with a drag and is a castle product. Also, their 27t may be a great match as stated. Buying a removable bell motor seems overkill here given the likely audience for these, not to mention sensored brushless setups.
    When it comes to crawling/Trailing Brushed is always better than brushless. Be it sensored or non sensored.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

There is a guy using this:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXSL79&P=ML

for crawling duties in his pede 4x4. it is a 2.5: gear reduction, and can be changed to 3.8:1.

could throw this in with the titan, and have any final low gearing ratio you want.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Champion
    If you want to go that slow you could also install a brushed 55 turn crawler motor.

I did this to my stampede 4x4 with locked diffs. crawled pretty well.

But i think its nice to go fast too with the telli.

RC Champion
    this truck comes with a plastic center driveshaft, so that would need to be replaced with the metal one if you upgrade the motor system.
    ERBE, ERBE, Summit, Slash 4X4, Bandit,

RC Qualifier
    I think my plan will be to throw that massive heatsink fan combo (EZRUN 5V Cooling Fan & 36 x 55mm Motor Heat Sink AC225)on the titan to get it to stay nice and cool and hopefully last a long time. I know a lot of peeps have had the bad lucks with it, but I aint one of em(knocks on wood, heh).

RC Champion
    I think the main problem with the titan 12T motor is that it is used mostly by beginners and young fellows (because it is installed in the cheaper vehicles) that don't break the motor in properly and don't pay enough attention on gearing so the motor is running too hot.

RC Champion
    Hibernating in my basement, trying to see just how many RC projects i can work on at one time!!
    The titan may be alright for strictly trail running, but it my lack the low end torque needed to get up an obstacle at low speeds. Maybe try a 35T Integy lathe motor, or a 45T Novak crawler motor. I have had great luck with both of these in my scaler using an 87 spur/17T pinion combo. For more trailing, a 20T Axial motor or an HPI 27T motor might fit the bill. These were good for low speed trail running, but had the tendency to stall out on the rocks. A really good all around combo is a 13.5 or 17.5 Tekin sensored motor paired with an MMP esc from castle. Plasti dip the sensor connectors, and give the same treatment to the castle board, and you'll be throwing rooster tails while still being able to crawl pretty well. Run the prior combos on 2s lipo and the xl-5. The mmp will shine on 3s lipo and become a beast on 4s. Upgrade the drivelines or put threaded rod in the centers of the stockers to keep them from collapsing. Throw on some bead-locks and and a set of Pit Bulls, and look out. Yes, I want one. Yes I have plans for it!!!!

FLM BL E-MAXX ~ BL E-4TEC Drifter ~ Pro-Trac Slash ~ SCX-10 ~ Wraith ~Custom 6WD Crawler~ 3 Losi micro scalers
    Slash BL-Pede-E 4Tec-FLM EMAXX-Wraith-AX-10-SCX-10