RC Qualifier

Loud spartan????

Hey everybody... another question LOL

So i bought my spartan used from someone on craigslist. Drove it a few times. My dad saw and loved it and bought his first hobby grade brushless rc. A brand spankin new red spartan. Now that I have them next to each other out of the water I realized how loud mine is.

When he hits the throttle its almost silent.
    When I hit the throttle its LOUD. Why??? I feel like something is wrong now....although it drives fine.

What do you guys think?
    I want a quiet spartan not a loud one hahah

RC Champion
    Its probably motor bearings or possible shaft liner
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Noise is vibration. Vibration could be anything. I'd start back at the prop and work my way forward. Pull the prop off and run it on the bench. Prop imbalance could cause noise. Then pull the drive dog, then the shaft, then the coupler. If its still making noise, it's the motor bearings.

RC Qualifier
    Is there upgrade bearings for the motor? What size bearing does it take? And is it bad to run with no shaft liner?

Its the motor. I took it out of the boat and its loud

Anybody have a stock motor they can sell?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 08-13-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    It's more than likely rebuildable. Open it up and find to bad part. Probably a bearing.

RC Racer
    Traxxas has a replacement plan for the motor. They charge you 50% if you send in the bad motor. It's $70 plus $5 for shipping. You could also look into a rebuild kit, but I don't have any info for you about that. Maybe try putting oil on the bearings first. Traxxas recommends light motor oil.

RC Qualifier
    I opened it. It looks like on the shaft that it rubbed a little... and some of the windings are black and both the magnet and windings are rusty

how fast is traxxas if i replace it with them? I need a motor by the 23rd because im leaving to a lake for vacation on the 24th.

The bearings arent seized

Last edited by cooleocool; 08-13-2013 at 08:17 AM. Reason: merge

RC Racer
    The time would depend on how fast you ship it to them and they return it. You can call and ask. I'm not sure if they'd ship to you first, but you can ask. They've been helpful for me. First, I'd pick up some offline electrical cleaner in an aerosol can. Clean the magnets, armature, windings and bearings. Put some oil on the bearings and retest it. It'd take an hour, but it might fix the problem. If it does, then you'll save $70!

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered a new motor. How do I maintain this next motor to prevent this from happening again

RC Racer
    This is what Traxxas recommended to me:

#1 – Always lube the flex shaft after every run. Marine grease is cheap and usually comes in large amounts. The shaft is the 2nd biggest restriction in the power system, so making sure this is spinning smooth will help the system stay cooler.
    #2 – Make sure the motor bearings are always lubed with light machine oil. We use light motor oil. When the bearings are getting dry, the motor will sound different, but don’t let it get to this point often.
    #3 – Always dry the inside of the boat thoroughly after every run.
    #4 – We have salt water tips on the Traxxas website, under the Support section. Highly recommend reading them if salt water is to be ran in again.
    #5 – Highly recommend removing the motor and disassemble after each day of running. You’ll need the 2.5mm L wrench for the motor mount screws and the three screws for the front motor plate. You’ll need a good 2mm hex wrench for the coupler grub screw. Recommend purchasing a quality wrench from your local hobby shop, if available. Lastly, you’ll need a good quality 1.5mm hex wrench for the rear motor plate. The motor has two brass shims, one on each side of the rotor. Do not lose these. You can leave the rotor in the motor. Dry the bearings, clean any water from the motor, lube the bearings from the inside with oil and reassemble. Do not over-tighten the 1.5mm, 2mm, or 2.5mm screws as they are easily stripped if forced. The bearings should be smooth and should not make any noise.
    #6 – The flex tubing should be checked regularly for water flow through the system. If there is any restriction or object blocking the tubing the system will overheat.

RC Qualifier
    I would have just replaced the bearings and you would not have to send the motor in. I would recommend Boca bearings ceramic bearings with the orange rubber seals. These have grease in the bearings and are sealed so they require no lubrication.http://traxxas.com/forums/showthread...61#post5544161

RC Qualifier
    http://www.bocabearings.com/search.a...thOperator=%3d

which ones do I get? There is multiple ceramic bearings with rubber seals...

RC Qualifier
    these are the bearings I got for my Leopard motor. I do not know the bearing size for the stock Castle motor. You can take them out and measure them.http://search.bocabearings.com/searc...&w=BMK-031C-OS

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Socalirevo View Post
    I just ordered a new motor. How do I maintain this next motor to prevent this from happening again
    shoot me an e-mail for a motor recommendation if you want turbozr@hotmail.com
    MMM/2650, E-maxx Body=FUN !
    3 Slash 4x4
    Pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Ok I know this is a bit old but I have been puttin the traxxas grease at the end of the motor(part that points to the bow with the Castle Logo plate) I have noticed signifigant sound decrease since I did this, I clean and reapply grease after every run on the motor plate centered hole thing... It's soounds like a hybrid when I do this, but when I don't it makes the high pitch noise.

RC Qualifier
    Grease will go out once the motor works, oil like speedX is the one of those few recommended oil.
    Sharing is the best thing to do on EARTH legally.