RC Competitor

Question Titan 775 - motor replacement!

My Titan 775 died yesterday and this could be a good reason for an upgrade.
    But, before that, I would need your help / experience about the options that I have under $100 for the motor only. I wanna use my EVX2 esc which is working perfectly.

First I wast thinking about MM 2200kv but so many people are having issues with the differentials,
    and also less crawling abilities. - I know this is more than $100 but is coming with a new ESC.

Dewalt 14.4v is another option, but as I know it needs some upgrades to fit in the summit system.
    I don't have any tools and time to spend for this. - If anyone can upgrade a Dewalt motor for me I can pay for it.

Any other options ?

Please note, I have 2x 2S LiPos - 7.4v. What would be the new running time?

Thanks so much!!
    Like & Share: Facebook /ScutuPhotography

RC Qualifier
    Go to kershawdesigns website and they have a direct bolt on dewalt 14.4 kit all wired and everything for 60 bucks last time I checked...I'm buying this once my Titan dies
    "Duct tape and superglue are my spareparts"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ScutuMix View Post
    My Titan 775 died yesterday and this could be a good reason for an upgrade.
    But, before that, I would need your help / experience about the options that I have under $100 for the motor only. I wanna use my EVX2 esc which is working perfectly.

First I wast thinking about MM 2200kv but so many people are having issues with the differentials,
    and also less crawling abilities. - I know this is more than $100 but is coming with a new ESC.

Dewalt 14.4v is another option, but as I know it needs some upgrades to fit in the summit system.
    I don't have any tools and time to spend for this. - If anyone can upgrade a Dewalt motor for me I can pay for it.

Any other options ?

Please note, I have 2x 2S LiPos - 7.4v. What would be the new running time?

Thanks so much!!
    I put this on my Summit. http://www.kershawdesigns.com/E-Revo...Conversion.htm It comes with the conversion plate, screws, wiring harness, motor, and pinion. It is very easy to install and only $60.00. Before you mount the conversion plate to your existing motor mount use a dremmil and enlarge the motor mount opening large enough for your pinion gear to fit trough. That way you can determine where the pinion needs to be mounted, pull the motor and tighten the pinion and then reinstall. I have done three of these and it only takes 15 min to install. I settled down on the 17t pinion gear with the stock spur gear. I tried like 5 different sizes, some to slow some to fast. The 17t gives you great low end for crawling and runs faster than stock. You will love it.

What mah are your batteries that will determine run time. I run the Spc 8200mah lipos, 2s,2p, 50C, They will run the Summit for 1 to 2.5 hrs depending upon what you are doing. Bashing around less time, slow crawling more time. You can get them here, http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=66 by the way if they are in stock buy them now they go really fast. The price is half for comparable batteries. The dewalt setup and stock esc work fine with them. I would also recommend you get his LVA for $5.00 and zip tie one to your bec terminal and use that instead of the LVD on the ESC. You can search the forum for SPC 8200 batteries there are dozens of threads about them.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by slashbasher24 View Post
    Go to kershawdesigns website and they have a direct bolt on dewalt 14.4 kit all wired and everything for 60 bucks last time I checked...I'm buying this once my Titan dies
    Cool, thanks
    Last edited by rcapilli; 08-12-2013 at 12:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    Thanks guys for your help!

My batteries are: 2 x Traxxas LiPo, 7600mah, 7.4v, 2S, 25C

With Titan 775 the running time was about ~1 hour.

I just placed an order for the V2 Single DeWalt 820 Conversion Kit - 24T pinion. (I already have the 14T and 20T pinions)
    I can't wait to receive it.
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 08-12-2013 at 01:59 PM.

RC Competitor
    Few questions about DeWalt..

1 - What is the difference between DeWalt 820 and DeWalt 700 HO ?

2 - What would be the running time~ for the DeWalt 820 + 2 x Traxxas LiPo, 7600mah, 7.4v, 2S, 25C - 20T pinion / 68T spur gear ?

3 - Is the DeWalt 820 kit include all that I need to install it instead of my old Titan 775 - RTR?

4 - Is this product covered by any warranty ?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    There is no DeWalt 700.
    There is a Mubachu 700 HO (high output) motor. Its similar to stock with slightly different internal wiring to get more speed.

Stick with the DeWalt 820 (14.4 volt)
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Enthusiast
    How long did your Titan last you?

RC Qualifier
    Few questions about DeWalt..

1 - What is the difference between DeWalt 820 and DeWalt 700 HO ?

2 - What would be the running time~ for the DeWalt 820 + 2 x Traxxas LiPo, 7600mah, 7.4v, 2S, 25C - 20T pinion / 68T spur gear ?

3 - Is the DeWalt 820 kit include all that I need to install it instead of my old Titan 775 - RTR?

4 - Is this product covered by any warranty ?

Thanks!
    2. Running time will be about the same.
    3. Yes see my post #3, the kit comes with everything. You will need a basic set of hex drivers.
    4. Check with Dan at Kershaw about warranty, He has never done me wrong.
    My Titans never gave up. I still have them as spares. The Dewalt really is as good as everyone said they were.

Be really careful with the 24t pinion on the stock spur. The highest I got was 21t and it tore the Summit up. Plus you may have an overheating problem in certain terrain. IMO the summit is designed to bash and crawl very well. Without some major upgrades I don't think a 15 to 17 lb truck is designed to go 50 or 60 mph.

RC Champion
    I was thinking the same 24 is a lot. I think 20 is the safest you can go.
    MAN, Use Common Sense
    Funky Gecko, SumVee HDE

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by seamonster View Post
    How long did your Titan last you?
    I've got the car last October and I use it ~ 1 hour every week.

I know 20T is the safest possible. But since I already have the 20T I was thinking to get the 24T and use it with a smaller spur gear.

Regarding the running time this is what I've got from Dan at Kershaw.

2 - What would be the running time for the DeWalt 820 + 2 x Traxxas LiPo, 7600mah, 7.4v, 2S, 25C - 20T pinion / 68T spur gear ? A LONG TIME. MAYBE 40 MINUTES OR THERE AROUND DEPENDING ON YOUR DRIVING

4 - Is this product covered by any warranty? YES, BUT I'VE NEVER HAD ANYONE NEED TO TAKE ME UP ON IT.
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 08-12-2013 at 11:12 PM.

RC Qualifier
    IF you use the 24t with a smaller spur gear to gear it down that would work. Just keep an eye on over heating the motor. 40 minutes is probably about right. I dont run the 7600mah but based on 8200mah 40 minutes depending upon how you are running the truck sounds right. I had an issue with a couple of pinions Dan sold me, he just put new ones in the mail and sent them to me. Good guy to work with.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I bought my Summit in spring of 09 and it has the original 775 motor in it and it still runs great!

RC Competitor
    The motor life is depending on how you drive and also the outside conditions like - sun, hot, beaches, sand, water, mud.. etc
    Titan 775 is not bad but it's problem is - you can't change the brushes. I opened my car last night and I removed the motor and is not burned as I thought. The problem is the brush, which looks incomplete - is not touching the motor shaft.

I think I know the reason of this, here is why the Titan 775 died like a hero:
    Few days before the motor died I was out for about an hour and I didn't realize the clutch was too slippery.
    Here is a screen shot of the dashboard after that run: Top Speed: 90 Km/h (55mph), Temperature of the motor: 104*C (219.2F).

So, make sure your clutch is not too slippery, otherwise your motor could die like a hero, or no )

Just in case anyone missed this
    Smaller spur gear would be gearing it even higher .....bad idea
    Smaller pinion is gearing down
    Bigger spur 68 (stock) is the second biggest spur available the biggest I have heard used is a 72 and that requires modding the chassis a bit to get it to fit.
    So smaller pinion bigger spur =geared down
    Bigger pinion and smaller spur =gearing up.
    24 pinion and a smaller spur will make it faster until the fire Ok seriously
    That is way overgeared even for the dewalt.heat will be a big issue.There is no fan that will fix that.18/68 is where I would start and watch temps and go from there, even 20/68 I think may cause some issues with heat

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jamann View Post
    Just in case anyone missed this
    Smaller spur gear would be gearing it even higher .....bad idea
    Smaller pinion is gearing down
    Bigger spur 68 (stock) is the second biggest spur available the biggest I have heard used is a 72 and that requires modding the chassis a bit to get it to fit.
    So smaller pinion bigger spur =geared down
    Bigger pinion and smaller spur =gearing up.
    24 pinion and a smaller spur will make it faster until the fire Ok seriously
    That is way overgeared even for the dewalt.heat will be a big issue.There is no fan that will fix that.18/68 is where I would start and watch temps and go from there, even 20/68 I think may cause some issues with heat

Sent using lipo power
    Your right. This is what happens when old age creeps in.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    Huh! Really??

RC Qualifier
    I run 14/68 on my dewalt and after a run I am in the 130s on both esc and motor. Running 17/68 I hit 150s.
    This is Midwest US summer but any higher than 17 I would be afraid of overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by BRICK57 View Post
    I'm no spring chicken either,but every dog gets a bone now and then.lol
    I must enjoy my moment in the sun as it will pass really soon lol

Sent using lipo power
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Competitor
    True! but I think, you can't fit bigger than 21T with the default 68T spur on the gearbox .. without mods !

Or you can use 25T pinion with 63T spur for more top speed(heat) but less torque!
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 08-13-2013 at 10:28 PM.

RC Competitor
    What is the size of the DeWalt 820 Carbon Brush ?

14mm x 8mm x 4mm or 14mm x 8mm x 7mm

The motor uses 1 or 2 carbon brushes ?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Huh! Really??
    Short term memory loss.

RC Qualifier
    What is the size of the DeWalt 820 Carbon Brush ?

14mm x 8mm x 4mm or 14mm x 8mm x 7mm

The motor uses 1 or 2 carbon brushes ?
    I don't know the size of the brushes, email Dan at Kershaw he might know. There are 2 brushes, both are replaceable. Just curious why do you want to know the size?

RC Competitor
    I was curious about the sizes because Dan is selling them for 10$ each and on ebay I found 2 x brushes for 2 to 5$, but I don't know the exactly size.

I sent an email to Dan about the size, I'll let you know.
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 08-14-2013 at 01:12 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    They may or may not be the same brush or the same material and build quality. I know from my days of racing and tuning brushed motors, brushes varied noticeably in quality and materials used. And even if the ones you noted are the same, Dan may not purchase enough at one time to get lower pricing discounts. It will be interesting to hear his response.

RC Competitor
    I don't know about the quality, we have to test them to see how they are.
    Dan didn't reply back to me about the sizes, probably he doesn't wanna let me know about this, but as soon as I'll get the motor I'll open it and I'll measure the brushes.

What do you know about the Venom motors ?

RC Racer
    Do not put a 20t pinion on a brushed motor. Should probably not be going larger than a 16t if you want your motor to last a while.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-21-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: content
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Competitor
    I don't wanna go with a Brushless Motor - not waterproof and it will require a new ESC (plus, it would be a pain for the differentials).

Regarding the Pinion Gear, Dan at Kershaw told me to use the 25T with the default spur gear - because my Summit has the E-Revo wheels which are lighter. I'm not gonna use the 25T pinion because there's no room and the 20T is more the enough for me.

Deviate, what makes you believe that the 20t pinion on a brushed motor is not a good idea?

Here is my Summit with the ERevo upgrades:

I was curious about the sizes because Dan is selling them for 10$ each and on ebay I found 2 x brushes for 2 to 5$, but I don't know the exactly size.

I sent an email to Dan about the size, I'll let you know.
    KD is selling the brush box AND brush for $10. If you want a true comparison, you need to look at this ad: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/DeWalt-brush-...574b78c&_uhb=1, where cost of the brushes equates to $12.25 each.

Here is the Dewalt listing for the brush box found on the KD site:
    http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Parts/S...mber=603754-01
    There is a local service center so my cost is under $6.00 each.

and here's the 14.4V motor from Dewalt:
    http://servicenet.dewalt.com/Parts/Detail/301453
    My cost: about $33.00.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 08-21-2013 at 11:23 AM.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    I don't wanna go with a Brushless Motor - not waterproof and it will require a new ESC (plus, it would be a pain for the differentials).

Regarding the Pinion Gear, Dan at Kershaw told me to use the 25T with the default spur gear - because my Summit has the E-Revo wheels which are lighter. I'm not gonna use the 25T pinion because there's no room and the 20T is more the enough for me.

Deviate, what makes you believe that the 20t pinion on a brushed motor is not a good idea?

Here is my Summit with the ERevo upgrades:

Is that not a lot of load for those motors?
    Brushless 19/62 SPC 8.2 It's not a Tekin or a MM

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviate View Post
    Is that not a lot of load for those motors?
    As I know the DeWalt 14.4v motors have a lot of torque, a lot more than the stock Titan 775.
    It should be fine theoretically, but practically, I'll let you know as soon as I'll have it installed on my car.

I will run the DeWalt 14.4v on my Summit, with the 20T pinion / 68T spur gear, and 2 x 2S 7.4v, 7600 mAh LIPO batteries.

---

ksb51rl, thanks for letting me know. I didn't know that difference, but now it makes more sense for me.
    Last edited by ScutuMix; 08-22-2013 at 08:19 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    All except sensored motors are waterproof... they just wear faster when wet.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie Neutron View Post
    All except sensored motors are waterproof... they just wear faster when wet.
    I guess, but the differentials will still feel the pain ..

RC Competitor
    Yeee, Last night I've got the DeWalt 820 kit from KD and the installation wasn't that difficult and long.

The DeWalt 14.4v motor has definitely more torque than the stock Titan 775 but less speed.
    Here is a top speed comparison between them running with 2 x 2S 7.4v, 7600 mAh LIPO batteries.

Titan 775 -> 20T pinion + 68 Spur gear = 31.07mph / 50 kmh (erevo talon tires)
    Dewalt 14.4v -> 20T pinion + 68 Spur gear = 26.72mph / 43 kmh (erevo talon tires)

RC Enthusiast
    is the stock spur gear 68T?

Stock gearing is 14/68. That's almost identical to 12/58 in case you want to lower your CoG a bit. It's better for crawling or bashing.
    Alt-241 on the number pad =

RC Competitor

Titan 775 - motor replacement!

You need to break in your motor To get its maximum capacity. Running full speed out of the box is not the perfect way to do it (from discussion read here and there).

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by LCM94 View Post
    You need to break in your motor To get its maximum capacity. Running full speed out of the box is not the perfect way to do it (from discussion read here and there).
    ...what do you mean ?