Thread: lipo nicad etc

RC poster

lipo nicad etc

hey there!
    Ive not been rc-ing for years and just got back into it.Was thinking of buying a boat with brushless motor and esc.Now it says I need 3S 11.1V 2200mAh LiPo 25c Pack-charger etc.

Now my question-whats the difference between lipo and NiCad battery ?I have a old but still working 3300mah 7 cell NiCad is there a reason why I could not use this instead ?

RC Enthusiast
    I will take a stab at this. As I have just got back into RC as well. And just bought my first lipo battery the other day. The difference between NiCd and Lipo are huge to say the least. Lipo uses different chemicals to produce energy. Lithium Polymer. Hence, LiPo. The hold more energy then NiCd. They keep the punch longer. The NiCds start to lose energy as soon as you use it. So as soon as you start using it your vehicle starts to slow down. Not as noticeably at first. LiPos keep it till it's time to stop and charge. You have more or less the same performance till it's drop off of energy.They are MUCH lighter than the comparable NiCd batteries. And you have longer run times than the comparable NiCd. They have NO memory. So you can run and use the full amount of energy available for the life of the LiPo whereas the NiCd has a HUGE memory and you lose run time over time as the memory sets in. To the point where they are no good anymore. Lipos of the same or close to the same voltage and capacity as a NiCd are different. Example, I have an old Traxxas Rustler. The original w/ Mechanical speed control. I upgraded to an ESC and new steering servo and TQi radio. Using a 6-cell NiCd 1800mAh I could run between 5 and 8 minutes before it just would run good anymore. Speed wasn't all that great but what can you do. I swapped to a 2S(7.4 volt) 2700mAh 35c LiPo. Man did that wake up my Rustler. Still has the brushed motor so it's not lightning fast. But it's considerably faster than before. I can easily flip it now. Before I couldn't even dream of that without some kind of maneuver. Obviously the run time is longer. But just changing to LiPo woke up my Rustler a lot. And it is only .2 volts more than the NiCd. LiPos also put out amperage a lot better than NiCds could ever dream of.You will need to get a charger that can do LiPo batteries. You do NOT want to use the ones that only charge NiCd and NiMH. You will want the capability to do a balance charge. Sorry for such a long post. But I hope this helps. If I am wrong about any of this I sure someone more in the know will chime in. Just don't flame me for it.
    Time to run the Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimmie Neutron's Avatar
    You did very well... great explanation!

If you put NiCd in a boat that requires a 3S 25C 2200mAh LiPo, I can almost guarantee that the NiCd will pop due to being severely overdrawn past its capabilities.
    Whatever it is I just said... I could be wrong.

RC poster
    Thanks for the reply's ! quite a lot has changed since I last got my boats and buggy's out.

RC Enthusiast
    Same here. Last time I was into RC was back in the late 90's. And even then I wasn't up to date on the latest tech.
    Time to run the Rustler