Thread: 48P gears?

48P gears?

I guess because of the Titan right?
    He who dies with the most toys wins !!!

RC Champion
    seems like it.

RC Racer
    youll have a better chance of not stripping out the gears because they are "sharper" if you will so theyll have less of a chance of skipping and stripping out
    My stickers totaly effect my aerodynamics

RC Champion
    48p is more than enough for such a rig. With a good mesh 48p can take quite the beating.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

48P is what I run on my scaler, it should be plenty tough for what this powerplant can dish out. If it is upgrade to a larger KV motor, then you might want to look at putting 32P on there.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by lotus2200 View Post
    youll have a better chance of not stripping out the gears because they are "sharper" if you will so theyll have less of a chance of skipping and stripping out
    Actually it's the opposite. The teeth are narrower and thinner therefore making them weaker. Basically all offroad Rc cars/trucks were 32p in the early 90's. they started using the 48p gears in race vehicles because they were quieter and provided a larger range of gearing options allowing the racer the ability to fine time the gearing to each track. They had experimented with 64p gears like what's used in on road cars but those were too fragile.

RC Qualifier
    its so u can gear it as LOW as possible i read somewhere on the interweb. I don't have a prob with 48pitch gears, i have a bunch and their cheap to get too.

Okay... what exactly is a "high stall gear clutch"???? Could not find any close ups on the product pages...

The spur is bowl shaped. 48p is not a problem. A flexible bowl shaped spur can be...

Does the clutch have gears in it?
    Is it a cush type??

Lost.
    Whats in my wallet?
    I cant afford a wallet...

RC Champion
    The spurs don't look any different than whats on just about every other Traxxas model.

As to the "high stall gear clutch" it looks like a fancy slipper clutch.

Oderint Dum Metuant

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaperGN View Post
    The spurs don't look any different than whats on just about every other Traxxas model.

As to the "high stall gear clutch" it looks like a fancy slipper clutch.

Looks like the slipper pad from a mini Revo

Sent from my highly abused iPhone using Tapatalk
    Always in Trouble for trying to help out.

RC Qualifier
    Well, I think for a brushed setup, it would be just fine for slow driving (like the XL5-Titan combo) but for anything more than that, 32 pitch is better. 48p will strip easier so if you are ever having problems with it, then switch to 32p. I will have a video up soon on my youtube channel (same as my traxxas forum name) which will show everyone how to do it properly. I'll link it here when it'll be up!

RC Champion
    I think the main reason for 48 pitch is more tooth (max. 90) whereas the 32 pitch stampede 4x4 max is 54T.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by vladsly View Post
    Well, I think for a brushed setup, it would be just fine for slow driving (like the XL5-Titan combo) but for anything more than that, 32 pitch is better. 48p will strip easier so if you are ever having problems with it, then switch to 32p. I will have a video up soon on my youtube channel (same as my traxxas forum name) which will show everyone how to do it properly. I'll link it here when it'll be up!
    Lots of small gear teeth can do the same job as a few large gear teeth. 32p gears are large and have lots of slop. They also have a much smaller range of gearing options. 48p is is much better for 1/10 rigs and below. With larger ones there is a need for larger gear teeth mostly due to the gear ratio they need to run. Those having trouble with 48p need to practice setting their gear mesh. I have had 48p plastic spurs out last 32p metal gears and steel drive shafts.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

Unfortunately reaper, the bowl shaped spur will flex under higher loads. Its not the gear pitch, its the design of the gear that could cause it to fail, even with perfect mesh. I really wish that a disk shaped spur was provided. If going to higher power motor systems, a normal 4x4 slipper will prob be needed, but then the super low gearing wont be...

This new center system is designed for lower power systems...
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Champion
    Never had a issue with them. Even on 4s with a 2400. This is also the first time I have seen someone say it flex's. Since the Traxxas 2wd models run the same spur with 2.8 tires it wont be a problem unless the person using it cant set the mesh right.
    Oderint Dum Metuant

I give up.
    Whats in my wallet?

RC Enthusiast
    48 P gears are less likely to skip teeth, but they also have their dis advantages, like they are easier to strip out because the teeth are thinner